Availability of new dsh motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryan_4z
    All that the 25ssR experiment has proven is that the Yamato is a great motor. It isn't going to bring back the Merc in that class though. Why should someone buy a 25xs when they can more easily get a Yamato? 25ssR is proof that the multiple motor thing does not work.
    Because buying a Yamato would force me to buy 2 new, larger boats. I have a nice small runabout and a small hydro for my smaller engine stable. I currently run my 15ci Hot Rod's, Mk 20H, 25Mod and 25XS on the same boats. If I had a Yama-whatcha'-call-it too then I'd have to buy a new trailer to carry 4 boats and sell my 93 Chevy van for a used Excursion to pull them. Total investment $40K. Besides, I've raced Mercury since 1962, I think I'll stick with them ! I ain't alone racing my Merc 25XS, Ryan. Raceboat61-S

Comment

Achieving parity

I think my point was missed. By allowing other engines (mfgr's) into a class you gain all the advantages previously mentioned. I wasn't talking about allowing modifications. Each engine allowed would have to be STOCK as per the mfgr's spec sheets. As mentioned there are many ways to equalize performance and a few were cited. IMHO when you limit to one mfgr, you end up with the exact problems you have now and are trying to solve. In a perfect world newlyweds would all be virgins and there would be no bad stuff in a Big Mac, but we have to operate in the real world, not as we wish it were. I'm not trying to force my opinion on you but I think anyone would agree from reading all the posts on this forum on the problems in the stock group that solutions are in short supply. All possible solutions should be looked at and tried if suitable, otherwise the situation will continue to get worse. It is a difficult problem to try to solve, as nobody wants togive up a real or percieved advantage, but you all sink or swim together, and if there are not enough of you, equipment or whatever to have a race, you all lose.

Comment

Well Said

Originally posted by bill van steenwyk
        I think my point was missed. By allowing other engines (mfgr's) into a class you gain all the advantages previously mentioned. I wasn't talking about allowing modifications. Each engine allowed would have to be STOCK as per the mfgr's spec sheets. As mentioned there are many ways to equalize performance and a few were cited. IMHO when you limit to one mfgr, you end up with the exact problems you have now and are trying to solve. In a perfect world newlyweds would all be virgins and there would be no bad stuff in a Big Mac, but we have to operate in the real world, not as we wish it were. I'm not trying to force my opinion on you but I think anyone would agree from reading all the posts on this forum on the problems in the stock group that solutions are in short supply. All possible solutions should be looked at and tried if suitable, otherwise the situation will continue to get worse. It is a difficult problem to try to solve, as nobody wants togive up a real or percieved advantage, but you all sink or swim together, and if there are not enough of you, equipment or whatever to have a race, you all lose.
        An open mind.......... thank you and it is refreshing to finally read a post from someone with an open mind.
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

A Question for Ryan 4Z

Do you race D Stock?

Comment

Raceboat61-S,

What I was trying to say is that new racers have no reason to buy a 25xs. Chances are that current racers are not going to go buy a 25xs either, except for obviously a select few. I think that adding the Yamato to 25ssR was a worthwhile experiment, and maybe with the removal of the restrictor now could work. But I seriously doubt that this class will ever again be a Merc dominated class. If the Merc does become the winning motor again, I think that most of the Yamato guys will go back to CSR, not buy a Merc to continue running 25. I also do not think that this class has the potential to be a viable national class without the Yamato. If it does, that future is with the new 20ci Hot Rod, not the Merc.

Merc1,

No, I do not. Why do you ask?
            Last edited by ryan_4z; 02-01-2005, 01:45 PM.
            Ryan Runne
            9-H
            Wacusee Speedboats
            ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

drivers call

Having put my opinion forth on another thread, i mean as a spectator. I also have belonged to several minor OB orgs. at times, what's wrong with de idea class participants only need apply? Bye the way whats wrong with McPeek, Hoggard, Holden, oh heck list goes on. Oh yeh, Millar too.
              RichardKCMo.
              Originally posted by Matt Dagostino
              As Harold Barnes always referred to our 'premier' class as, has been a target for foreign motors wanting to condemplate moving into over the years.No doubt because the 50 hp motor is so popular worldwide.

If history has taught us anything it should be that our sport has been a one motor/one class sport and this formula seems to work. The Commission has to be the ones to initiate the effort to seek out a replacement motor when it feels the time is right and the current motor is 'obsolete'. This was done in the 80's with the OMC A(with some resistance) and was ultimatly the right choice and again in 1989 when the Commission banned the Merc 30h in C class and replaced it with the Yamato 102.It was evident that two C class motors could not survive together particularlly when myself and Hemp would come out a couple times a year and show the Yamato clan how a real 30hp motor should run(ok, enough rubbing it in). The point is the Commission correctly ruled in the majority favor and booted the good ol Merc out to allow a wonderful product to take it's place that met all the criteria for a replacement motor and ultimatly became the biggest class in our division.

It's unfair to have 2 motors in one class on a 'national ' level because one will always be faster than the other somehow. Maybe this Bass Motor is the greatest thing since the 102 but this is the Commissions call..........Not the drivers. If the drivers had there way,Andy Hanson, Carl Holt,Max McPeek etc. etc. would still be out there dominating A Class with KG4's !!

Hopefully the ever wise Commission has the pulse of the D Class and will at the proper time replace or keep the MERC 44 as the motor for D Class. Whatever the Commission does should be made clear to it's members and not allow itself be bullied into a bad desicion..............

Later

A "D" Fan.............
              RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

hshawwpba

Originally posted by csh2z
                During the past 4 or 5 years the SORC has made a significant investment in the 44XS redevelopment as well as a strong commitment to Dave Scott. At the time this was our best opportunity to revitalize the D class, and still may be. Our sport is fragile. When an issue like this comes along, it is important to be well informed, and not think with your b___s like an idiot. We are responsible for growing this sport. No matter what decision we make, we will not be able to please everyone. We only hope to do what we think is best for the sport, its present, and future members. On behalf of the 2005 SORC I appreciate your appreciation! Thanks, John Runne
                Looking at the membership growth over the last few years your platform of attracting new members based on the commiissions great ideas and commitments are somewhat invisiable. I'm sure there are 50 to 100 new people ready to jion any day so they can buy old rebuilt engines and wait for lower units for their AXS motor that was approved and is not competitive as advertised, and maybe if they wait long enough they can get a new set of D gears ??????
                Oh ya and I hope they don't look at the balance sheet for the past two years it apppears the cork has been pulled from the drain and the $$$ are disappearing at an alarming rate!
                Keep up the great work!
                Last edited by hshawwpba; 02-05-2005, 09:52 AM.

Comment

hshawwpba

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino
                  As Harold Barnes always referred to our 'premier' class as, has been a target for foreign motors wanting to condemplate moving into over the years.No doubt because the 50 hp motor is so popular worldwide.

If history has taught us anything it should be that our sport has been a one motor/one class sport and this formula seems to work. The Commission has to be the ones to initiate the effort to seek out a replacement motor when it feels the time is right and the current motor is 'obsolete'. This was done in the 80's with the OMC A(with some resistance) and was ultimatly the right choice and again in 1989 when the Commission banned the Merc 30h in C class and replaced it with the Yamato 102.It was evident that two C class motors could not survive together particularlly when myself and Hemp would come out a couple times a year and show the Yamato clan how a real 30hp motor should run(ok, enough rubbing it in). The point is the Commission correctly ruled in the majority favor and booted the good ol Merc out to allow a wonderful product to take it's place that met all the criteria for a replacement motor and ultimatly became the biggest class in our division.

It's unfair to have 2 motors in one class on a 'national ' level because one will always be faster than the other somehow. Maybe this Bass Motor is the greatest thing since the 102 but this is the Commissions call..........Not the drivers. If the drivers had there way,Andy Hanson, Carl Holt,Max McPeek etc. etc. would still be out there dominating A Class with KG4's !!

Hopefully the ever wise Commission has the pulse of the D Class and will at the proper time replace or keep the MERC 44 as the motor for D Class. Whatever the Commission does should be made clear to it's members and not allow itself be bullied into a bad desicion..............

Later

A "D" Fan.............
                  I guess this does not apply to the J and A class that got a New motor because it was a Mercury!!!! Now there is 2 motors in these classes which goes aginst your GOLDEN RULE of 1 motor per class. And soon there will be another in A the Hot Rod reborn, interesting how this will go as the driving force is on the SORC commission. HUMMMMM very interested in watching this play out.

Comment

Mr. Shaw,

First off, I would like to know what exactly is your involvement with the Bass Bros. and their Tohatsu-D project. Your militant attitude on the subject suggests that you have some personal attachment to the issue. You seem to have an attitude of entitlement when it comes to the approval of this motor. I am not sure where that comes from. The SORC owes it to nobody to approve this motor. I would love to think that this could be a great D motor, but I have seen nothing to back that up. So I am not sure why you feel that it would be a responsible decision to approve this motor right now. Furthermore, I feel that the SORC has been more than kind in granting this motor probationary status for this season. You seem to think that they should have skipped this stage and gone straight to full approval. This is now your chance to get this motor around the country. Let some other people try it out, and do some unbiased testing with it. Prove to the nation that we need this motor to better our sport. Then and only then should the SORC consider making this our new D motor.
                    Ryan Runne
                    9-H
                    Wacusee Speedboats
                    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

D-mod

We Need More Racers In The D-class ------ Merc Parts Are Hard To Find And Getting Harder---thanks Dave And Sid ----just Need To Keep The Rule Book Handy And Don't Discard It Yet For The Sake Of Improving Participation In A Class.. A Maintenance Free Engine For Any Class Is A Liable Candidate ......try It For A Year And Slowly Slowly Make Adjustments Burninvernon O-90
                      Speed cost Money --How fast ya wanna go ?

Comment

<<we can work with Tohatsu America to bring other lowcost powerheads to the racing market.

So, not only do you wish to challange the efforts of the Commissions D motor, you also wish to challange the efforts of Hotrod as well, with imports to boot.
                        It's bad enough the APBA has an import already. And a fine one it is.
                        I hear the Canadian are producing motors these days...
                        2% own 90%, that's the ownership society

Comment

Apples/oranges again

Loop 42+cu in old merc 44 cu in pretty unfair in long run.
                          Seems as though there are an awful lot of old merc 44s around , nuff to keep that D+ class running a while. Thats the view from da beach as i'm just a spectator.
                          RichardKCMo
                          RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

D-class

I've Never Seen A 44 Stk. Merc That Could Run With A 40.ci Modified....there Might Be One Out There But I Haven't Seen It Yet ....i'm Very Anxious To See This Tohatsu Run ---maybe At The Alex Nbra Race Burninvernon 0-90
                            Speed cost Money --How fast ya wanna go ?

Comment

Working...
                            X