Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What prop?

Hey Guy's, ...

I'm getting ready to start playing with my lake racer again. Most of my plate has been cleared off giving me some more time on the water. I am going to install a 9/16 prop shaft in a week or so.

A little info about where I was before hanging her from the rafters last December. The post covers a lot of different issues I dealt with and were solved with the FANTASTIC advice from all. http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25003

Where should I start?

P.S. ... I just bought a vinyl cutter and was wondering if anyone knows of any cool hydro graphics are?

Regards
    Bill
    Last edited by BillCNC; 06-25-2013, 02:38 PM.

Ok, ... let's try this.

Is there any websites with some baseline info on picking a prop for a 102?

Bill

Comment

Prop 102

Bill

No, the answer is probably here or on BRF. I have no experience with the 102 but I run a 3 blade 6.7" dia x 11" pitch on my Y80 with 14:16 gears on a pickle hydro and it spins at about 7000 crank rpm and runs about 64mph. The 102 has 14:15 gears so I would guess a similiar diameter and around 11.5 to 12 pitch if the engine is in good shape. Also depends on prop type either a cleaver or round ear 3 blade. Each does different things. You want to get those sponsons off the water.

You are going to have to test but to start would be to pick up a CSH prop on this site from a racer who has a 102 or a 302 for the right price and there is a post for some right now but not sure what they were for so ask the seller.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...threadid=26215

But remember a good prop to the seller may be a fair prop to the buyer, different boat, setup and engine shape is the main base difference. Your boat is not anywhere near what a CSH is today so in your case much trial is required. Hope you can find a prop without spending too much on collecting them to find a good one?

What diameter and pitch prop were you using in the videos you posted?
      Last edited by ZUL8TR; 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM.
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Thanks Pete,

I saw those props for sale and a few others. I want to try to get as close as possible to something worth testing instead of emptying my back account as you noted.

The only prop I have, is the stock 16mm 2 blade with number 41 stamped on it.

I think getting the sponsons out of the water will be just getting further aft in the boat. Seeing I have my helmet and jacket, ... for the lack of better words, ... it's time to put my nuts on the table or sell the hydro and build a row boat.

Bill

Comment

props

Bill

Props can be an expensive journey to find the right one(s). Of the ones I added in the link ask the seller what he used them on and the diameter and pitch of all the ones that do not have that info then that provides more info to see decide if one of these is worth it.

Hope others chime in with a 102 on a hydro?

The stock Yamato props from japan lack the pitch when they are raised up for more revs.

When I was racing 25ssh one of my competitors had a beautiful clear plastic box with red velvet lining and 10 or so props that he used. I suppose he knew what to use? I invested in 3 props but only 1 was the best so I used it at all races just raised it up or down depending on race course and conditions, did very well with that 1 and less decisions to make. I didn't have a bunch of bucks for 10 of them. I got lucky with 1 good one out of 3. But today with the same engine on a different hydro (pickle not Wetback) the not so good of the 3 is the best, so you never know what works best till you try it so buying an untried prop can be a gamble.

Pete
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Thanks Pete,

I see you asked the same questions I was going to.

Well, as far as I know, the motor runs really well, thanks to all of you on this site guiding me, but then again, it's the only Yamato I have seen. I plan to get to a race soon, as I have set up some free time this summer to do just that.

I fear the journey of finding a prop is going to be harder than most simply because of the hull it's going to push. It seems to me it that with racing, there is a built in range that you can play with because of the similarities that racing has built into it.

Are these the only variable to consider when choosing a prop?

Hull Type
            RPM's
            Speed at desired RPM
            Total wet weight (everything in the boat ready to go, including me)

Anything else? I didn't include water and wind conditions, as I'm not taking it out unless the conditions are perfect. It's not like I'll have to run it because of a preset date, or the weather surprised me, considering the lake is very close by and the weather on the water is the same as my house.

I'm already wanting to get another hydro for racing, but I'm not educated enough in the different hulls to understand what I would like.

I like the idea of laying down, but isn't that hard on your chest if it's already hard on my knees? At 52, ... I'm not quite sure if I want to do any unnecessary pounding on my chest, if you know what I mean. I'd rather leave that up to the EMT's.

Bill

Comment

Laying down pounds your chest no worse than the knees.. With padding and the flak material in your vest you don't even notice except during the worse water conditions.. I will say though to lay down you have to move up to at least to a DSH or bigger boat so I guess kneeling is your only option
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by BillCNC View Post
                Thanks Pete,

I see you asked the same questions I was going to.

Well, as far as I know, the motor runs really well, thanks to all of you on this site guiding me, but then again, it's the only Yamato I have seen. I plan to get to a race soon, as I have set up some free time this summer to do just that.

I fear the journey of finding a prop is going to be harder than most simply because of the hull it's going to push. It seems to me it that with racing, there is a built in range that you can play with because of the similarities that racing has built into it.

Are these the only variable to consider when choosing a prop?

Hull Type
                RPM's
                Speed at desired RPM
                Total wet weight (everything in the boat ready to go, including me)

Anything else? I didn't include water and wind conditions, as I'm not taking it out unless the conditions are perfect. It's not like I'll have to run it because of a preset date, or the weather surprised me, considering the lake is very close by and the weather on the water is the same as my house.

I'm already wanting to get another hydro for racing, but I'm not educated enough in the different hulls to understand what I would like.

I like the idea of laying down, but isn't that hard on your chest if it's already hard on my knees? At 52, ... I'm not quite sure if I want to do any unnecessary pounding on my chest, if you know what I mean. I'd rather leave that up to the EMT's.

Bill
                It would be simple if those were the only items used to select a prop. There are several more, of course the list is differtent depending on the use.

For circuit racing:

acceleration
                ability to keep the revs up in a turn
                top speed
                ability to plane at the desired engine height so you actually get in the race
                hull type and overall weight
                bow lifter or rear lifter
                etc.

It's not easy

These high speed racers use small diameter and large pitch props.

I see you PM'd 14J about his props he should be able to guide you with one of his. It may not be the best for your hull but if you get an udated CSH it would be ready for that hull and the 102 so no money really wasted and it has to be a ton better than that brass Japan prop.
                Last edited by ZUL8TR; 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Pete,

Hmm, .. Yes, many more parameters for racing. I guess I need to try to get a prop that can go to the next hull. Like you said, it wouldn't be tossing it completley down the drain. When I make/buy my racing rig I was planing on getting a 302 for it unless I found a real screaming deal on a 102. Would the 102 and 302 be similar enough to use the same prop? If not, that will tossing in another monkey wrench into the works.

I talked with the seller, ... he said Props #1,2 and 3 not for my needs. Props #4,5,and 6, in the ballpark.

The boats not a heavy pig, I believe she came in at 125-130 without the fuel tank and motor. I'd have to go search my notes for the exact weight. I think it's posted in the Hard Starting thread. Hmm, ... Come to think about it, I didn't weight it since adding the air trap.

Is that considered heavy?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                    Laying down pounds your chest no worse than the knees.. With padding and the flak material in your vest you don't even notice except during the worse water conditions.. I will say though to lay down you have to move up to at least to a DSH or bigger boat so I guess kneeling is your only option
                    A bigger boat = longer wood.

Bill

Comment

props and boat

Pete,

Hmm, .. Yes, many more parameters for racing. I guess I need to try to get a prop that can go to the next hull. Like you said, it wouldn't be tossing it completley down the drain. When I make/buy my racing rig I was planing on getting a 302 for it unless I found a real screaming deal on a 102. Would the 102 and 302 be similar enough to use the same prop? If not, that will tossing in another monkey wrench into the works.

I talked with the seller, ... he said Props #1,2 and 3 not for my needs. Props #4,5,and 6, in the ballpark.

The boats not a heavy pig, I believe she came in at 125-130 without the fuel tank and motor. I'd have to go search my notes for the exact weight. I think it's posted in the Hard Starting thread. Hmm, ... Come to think about it, I didn't weight it since adding the air trap.

Is that considered heavy?

Bill
                      Bill

Why would you look for a deal on a 102 if that is what you already have and you are putting $$ into it? Do you have doubts about that engine?

From what I have heard the 302 would be the better choice at the least based on the CD ignition that is easy to time. But don't cut the 102 short they run well when set up correctly.

The 102 and the 302 have the same gear ratio and generally use the same prop. Remember even among 102's or 302's there are very different props due to all the parameters.

Pick 4, 5 or 6 and you will at least have a decent prop to start with. He wants the most for Q166 since he tested that one but being Dewald's any one should be a decent prop. Once you get into racing you can borrow props to try and then make a decision whay to buy.

Your boat weight of 125 to 130 is not bad.

Pete

Comment

why not just call Craig De Wald, he's a very well know prop builder, very knowledgeble, overall good guy and likes to help new guys

Comment

Pete,

The reason I would chose a 302 over the 102 is just as you said, the ignition system. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only reason I would choose the 302 over the 102. The ignition parts are getting pretty scarce with no replacement in sight, ... well that I know of. So if ignition parts on a 102 are getting hard to find, the price will skyrocket on those parts that are still around. Soon, ... you'll be paying the same price for a 302 as you will be in continuing with the 102 after you get done hunting the parts down.

Why not just eliminate the issue? hence, ... "I would buy a 102 if I got a really screaming deal".

When I buy/build a racing rig, ... I will get an engine for it because I'm still going to need a engine for the lake racer. My grown kids are already trying to figure out who will get it when I kick the bucket, ... But, ... hehe, ... I plan on getting my grand kids into it within the next 5 or so years. My kids can make their own as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like I have some decision making to do.

Bill

Comment

Your Kidding me, ... RIGHT?

Ok, ... So I mozzied on over to the APBA web site to find the next race to attend so I can get my nosed rubbed in it up close and real good.

WHAT, ... in region 12 there is a race in Long Beach in August and it's status is PENDING? That's the only one listed? You have got to be kidding me!

OK, ... now what's making me WANT to start racing? Surely not the one event that hasn't been decided on yet. Boy, ... region 12 is already bad as far as travel and the amount of races, ... but PLEASE , ... tell me why I should drop a ton of cash to do what exactly, ... ???

I was sold on it, ... until I saw a race schedule, .. er, ... I mean the LACK of one. It's starting to look like figuring out the REAL problem of getting new blood into racing is simple ... it's due to, ... Self Inflicted Wounds!

Bill
                            who is not smiling at the moment
                            Last edited by BillCNC; 06-27-2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

APBA schedule

Ok, ... So I mozzied on over to the APBA web site to find the next race to attend so I can get my nosed rubbed in it up close and real good.

WHAT, ... in region 12 there is a race in Long Beach in August and it's status is PENDING? That's the only one listed? You have got to be kidding me!

OK, ... now what's making me WANT to start racing? Surely not the one event that hasn't been decided on yet. Boy, ... region 12 is already bad as far as travel and the amount of races, ... but PLEASE , ... tell me why I should drop a ton of cash to do what exactly, ... ???

I was sold on it, ... until I saw a race schedule, .. er, ... I mean the LACK of one. It's starting to look like figuring out the REAL problem of getting new blood into racing is simple ... it's due to, ... Self Inflicted Wounds!

Bill
                              who is not smiling at the moment
                              Bill

I know the feeling. Lucky when I was racing in Region 5 from 73 - 80 there were a ton of races each year (like 14 weekends which was 28 seperate races) in Fla, enough to satisfy me + working full time. Gone are those days. Lack of races was the main reason I didn't get back into it in 2005, even though older but still interested. So now I attend AOMCI meets and run the hydro with the other race boats.

In your case you have a decision to make based on scheduled events near where you live. Do they race NBRA or AOF near you?

Maybe just keep it a fun thing?

Any AOMCI meets near you?

Feel for you

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X