Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350mod on pro tower

hi all,

i'm putting together another 350 mod on a yamato pro tower and i may be missing something. i have the adaptor plate and see how it mounts to the tower. however the adaptor only mounts to the power head around the crank leaving the block hanging out there. is there another plate i need or is this correct?

anyone have pictures of a 350mod mounted on a yamato pro tower that would help.

frank novotny
    52-E

Frank:

You do not mention what powerhead you are talking about, but if it is a Yamato 80 to a Yamato PRO Tower that is the way I ran several RB Engines for a number of years. The adapter used was made/cast by Kay Harrison if I remember correctly. Harry ZAK did the work and the powerheads were turned 180 with the carb in back.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Comment

it is a yamato 80 on the pro tower

bill,

it is the 80 on the mod tower. my worry is that there is no support under the block section of the 80(the gap size is about an inch) and the steering bar would be connected to the 2 bolts in the rear of the block.on the goller towers and others i've seen the spacers cover the entire of the engine.

so what you are saying is that is the way they run them?

frank

Comment

Frank:

I have no knowledge of how the MOD group has their's set up, but I ran Model 80's for a number of years on the Yamato PRO housing with no support under the block. Harry did turn the motor 180 as mentioned, but that was to get the carb in the back to try to negate as much as possible the problem with getting spray in a corner. We put a simple piece of 1/8 plywood under the carb to eliminate spray from the prop much like Kugler and Latta did with the Z motors.

I am sure Harry used good studs but there was no support under the block. I asked him about that one time and he just shrugged his shoulders and asked if I was having any problems with the motor that I could attribute to that. I of course had to say "NO", and there never was. I think he felt it was better to let the block "float" than take the chance of putting it in a bind by using wrong size spacers, etc., that could get lost, misplaced, or put in the wrong location in the heat of the moment.

Long story short, we NEVER had any problems with only the crankcase studs locating and holding the powerhead. Of course there were other "braces" if you want to call them that such as the pipe bracing, etc.

Sorry I do not have any pictures showing the detail of the mounting, but based on our experience I would not worry about it. You might want to turn the powerhead as we did just for aesthetic reasons, and if you drop the plugs, washers, etc., while changing/checking them they end up in the boat usually instead of the lake.

ADD: I would not have the steering bar attached in any way to the power head. I seem to remember that the Yamato tower had mounting location for a bar??
        Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 05-26-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

thanks for the info

bill,

thanks for the info on the 80 and the pro tower. i know what you are saying about the steering bat. there are 2 tabs that the bar attaches to. my first cmod was a 302 turned 180 on a pro tower. i still have the bar and can use it. when it's together i'll send you a picture. thanks for your help.

frank

Comment

quincy z

bill,

i have several quincy z engines in my collection and they also do not have support under the block. they held up well.

frank

Comment

Working...
            X