Pickle Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickle Gauge

We are making darn sure we are legal by checking our pickle forks with the official 1 inch pickle radius gauge!
    Attached Files

Ahh but you need to add the thickness gauge also
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Do they have to be sweet or dill?

Comment

maybe you could market them to apba so we can buy them us that cant read,,,, such a fricked up rule,,,maybe next they want mirrors on a lay down hydro or maybe blinkers,,,,hehe

Comment

Surprised that no one has caught all the violations of not giving the proper sound signals for passing and altering your course to the port or starboard

Comment

Mirrors

Originally posted by form-e one View Post
            maybe you could market them to apba so we can buy them us that cant read,,,, such a fricked up rule,,,maybe next they want mirrors on a lay down hydro or maybe blinkers,,,,hehe
            Chenny,

Read the rules... mirrors are required in MOD for a laydown style hull. I fought that rule a few years back. For once I agree with you. Stupid rule(s)
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

all in a name

Just a FYI. - what you made is a "gage" for measuring. A "gauge" is used for reading data.
              Tom L.

Comment

Nice tool. Question, Is this an approved APBA inspection tool?
                bill b

Comment

Mike

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                  Ahh but you need to add the thickness gauge also
                  Basically all the outboard divisions in APBA have a different PICKLE rule for 2013!!

It appears that a standard accross the board rule will be adopted for 2014 for all the outboard divisions including J Class.

I am not a big UIM fan but their PICKLE chart and rule in the 2013 APBA on line rulebook seems to make the most sense. It allows for the tapering down of the deck surface after the 3/4" thickness dimension is met on the inside part of the sponson/air trap. This variation would make it easier for the ASH/BSH Hydroplanes to conform.

Comment

Wrong!

QUOTE=Tomtall;222847]Just a FYI. - what you made is a "gage" for measuring. A "gauge" is used for reading data.[/QUOTE]

the aerospace company I work for has been using and making GAUGES for 30 years!

Here is a copy out of the 2013 Machinist hand book...A radius gauge, also known as a fillet gauge,[1] is a tool used to measure the radius of an object.

Thank You!

Comment

It is a real nice tool. Please do not take me wrong. However, many racers,inspectors are making their own tools to measure specs because they have to. APBA should have a source to buy a certified tool used for measurement of specs.
                      I also worked for a Major Airline. (retired). All our tooling and instruments had to be calibrated annually and a record kept date of calibration.
                      I just wonder sometimes if our inspectors tools used to measure our boats/motors where ever calibrated.
                      Say for instance that my 102/302 motor head was DQ'd for being .002 under specs. I would question the accuracy of the inspectors tool used to measure my head. Just wondering. Just betting that some tooling used to measure our equipment is not accurate.
                      bill b

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
                        It is a real nice tool. Please do not take me wrong. However, many racers,inspectors are making their own tools to measure specs because they have to. APBA should have a source to buy a certified tool used for measurement of specs.
                        I also worked for a Major Airline. (retired). All our tooling and instruments had to be calibrated annually and a record kept date of calibration.
                        I just wonder sometimes if our inspectors tools used to measure our boats/motors where ever calibrated.
                        Say for instance that my 102/302 motor head was DQ'd for being .002 under specs. I would question the accuracy of the inspectors tool used to measure my head. Just wondering. Just betting that some tooling used to measure our equipment is not accurate.
                        I agree with you Bill.. The years I worked for Boeing as a inspector all instruments had to have a yearly physical and recal. And now you can get some really cheap stuff made in China that I would not trust at all.. On top of that who knows how many times the stuff has been dropped.. If restrictor plates can be furnished then they should make "Go No Go" gauges for pickles..Keep it simple
                        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

indeed . . .

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
                          Even our airport Bowmeter has to be calibrated and certified every year. It is off getting that task done now. The meter is used to measure runway "fiction" during events that may degrade friction, such as snow and ice. My airport is on coastal Carolina, I think I have had to run a series of friction tests twice in 6 years. Yet every freaking year I carry the meter to UPS and send it off for calibration.
                          carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Syd Marsden View Post
                            Surprised that no one has caught all the violations of not giving the proper sound signals for passing and altering your course to the port or starboard
                            Heh Heh, 'tuff enuff' to go for it when they might not know your positioning for a pass.
                            Team Tower

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonm50 View Post
                              Heh Heh, 'tuff enuff' to go for it when they might not know your positioning for a pass.
                              I already told I'm sorry about Lock Haven (my 2nd race, Mike didn’t think it was a big deal)

I have tried to get my pickles shaped for 2014. Would be nice to have an official templet now, in case I have to tweak them for next season.
                              Mark 55P
                              Team Tower
                              Hydroplane Division

Comment

Working...
                              X