pro 500cc boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pro 500cc boat

anyone have the length and wide measuring for the pro 500cc hydrocat? im thinking of running a konig 500cc on a 45sst hoffman tunnel. is the 45ss hull too heavy for a konig 500cc? i needs some advise from you guy.

All the guys that can answere this question are in Florida right now for the Title Series race in Lake Alfred... I am sure someone will chime in after this weekend. West coast its early so they might give you a answere today though.
    sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Lots of speed difference between a 45SS and a good running 500CC boat.

45SS 80MPH maybe? 500CC Hydro speed 120+. If it were me, for both my pocketbook and body's sake, I would give this a LOT of thought and investigation. Lots more to consider than just weight, length and width.

In addition to these considerations, probably about/at least 3 times the horsepower from a 500CC engine to a 45SS.

Previous poster had a good idea. Talk to some of the present time 500 drivers such as McKean, Hall, Nydahl, and others. Also possibly contact Hoffman who built the boat you are considering and tell him what you are thinking about, and see what he says. Also Pugh, as Gary has run both the PRO circuit and Tunnel Boats. Also you may want to consider IF the 45SS has power trim to assist in planing the boat off, and for other uses, power trim is not available on the Konig or Konny, at least not a factory designed unit.

It would seem at first glance you have much research to do if you want to spend your money wisely.
      Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 04-18-2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

pro 500cc boat

thanks ,both wayne and bill for the reply.seems that a 500cc pro engine able to overpower a 45ss tunnel hull. that rigth maybe hoffman and gary pugh migth get a better idea on this combination. anyone ever show a pro 500cc motor on a 45sst tunnel hull?

Comment

500 cc Hydro

There is not a racing class for a 500 cc hydro using a tunnel boat in the US. There is in Europe.
          David Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
            There is not a racing class for a 500 cc hydro using a tunnel boat in the US. There is in Europe.
            You might want to thank David for bringing up the main point that would save you a lot of money and wasted effort if you had planned to competitively race the combination, something I had overlooked as you did not mention it in your original post. In addition to the problems/considerations mentioned previously, I had assumed you just wanted something to "go fast" in as a lake racer or similar, as the Konig motors have been out of production for 20 years or so and probably would not be competitive with the more modern motors available today as the top runners use.

If you look at the PRO rules regards Hydroplane competition, they require that a Hydro not have a sponson length more than 60% or so the total length of the boat, which effectively eliminates the tunnel type hull from competition with Hydro's. This was a safety rule I believe, passed as the turning characteristics of the two boats are so different that it was thought they would be a hazard to each other if allowed to compete together on the same course at the same time.

If this is under consideration for what I originally thought, just a "go fast" ride, the other things mentioned you would want to check carefully still apply.

Comment

'Konig motors have been out of production for 20 years or so and probably would not be competitive with the more modern motors available today as the top runners use'

thats make sense.rule is not an issue here.we have this 45ss outlaw class.so anything thats below 737cc is welcome.so i thinking a 500cc pro engine must be a good option.i just wanted to know whether the 45ss hoffman tunnel hull able to hold the power of a 500cc pro engine.is the 500cc pro boat bigger than a 45ss tunnel hull?

Comment

I am not familiar with the dimensions of the Hoffman boat, but the other considerations already mentioned and advice from builders would still apply.
                I have not measured the present day 500 boats but I am sure they exceed 13 ft. now, possibly more. An early 70's 500 boat was in the 12'6" range usually, and speeds are now 30MPH faster at least.

The main consideration is still the multiple times power the Konig develops over the 45 motor. If that was NOT a consideration, all boats would be the same size, and design. Sometimes even boats that are similar in size, if designed for a different class with more or less HP, have a very different design bottom and lift characteristics. Power trim also enters into the equation as with it you are able to trim the nose down or up if you see the boat getting light in the front. I have no doubt that a 500CC Konig would make the front end of a boat designed for 1/3rd the power plenty nose light, perhaps so quickly you would not be able to do anything about it until you were wet.

Another consideration is the probable higher upkeep cost and availability of parts for the motors due to the age of the motor and higher operating RPM. (the Konig)

The complete lack of positive answers to this point about the project should also tell you something.

Comment

My current capsule boat is 13'6". I run my 500 and 70 rossi on it. Hate to say it but i am not sure the width.

Comment

pro 500cc boat

doug, do u think the 500cc/700cc will work on the 45sst hoffman tunnel hull?pls give me some advice.
                    Last edited by lcp8410; 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I really don't think i could answer that with accurate information. I am not familiar with a 45 tunnel boat. If you are wanting my guess i would say the boat is too small. What is the size of a 45? The catamarans they use in 500 and 700 in Europe are bigger and heavier than our boats. I would guess they are closer to a 120 tunnel.

Comment

500cc pro boat

doug, thanks for the reply. i have told by bill that the Konig motors have been out of production for 20 years.can i still get the parts like piston and ring for the older konig 500cc engine? or maybe someone is still making them out there.

Comment

Some Thoughts

The Hoffman is a fine boat. It was designed for use with specific racing motors, so you should probably use one. It was not intended to run a high revving Konig or similar engine. My thought here is safety first. Best to use a boat and engine combo designed to go together. Discovering that the Hoffman is too small or packing too much air for a 500cc Konig could be very expensive or dangerous.

There are still parts for Konig engines available, but keep in mind that these parts are not being produced today in any quantity. Konny is building similar rotary valve engines still and may be able to supply certain components.
                          David Weaver

Comment

Not Reccomended

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't try it. The Tunnel hulls in Europe also frun tilt/trim and pivot. Unless you can rig that up I don't think the hull would work for the 500CC. For recreation purposes, maybe, but then the 500CC engine is not a recreation engine either.

If you look at some pics online of the 500's running on the cat hulls, notice the difference of transom positions on each hull. Meaning how far they are from the actual back of the boat, forward or aft.

I also think, and I am not 100% certain here, the SST45 hulls are much heavier than a true Pro boat. They also have the engine set a lot further back on the SST45 hulls. This is to make the boat pop better as they are under powered with a 45 engine on them. This is how they achieved some decent results with a tunnel boat and that engine config. The 500CC Konig has a drastic difference in power curve than a SST45 engine.

I just think the dynamics of the two hulls are to far apart for this to work safely, and effectivley. That is just my opinion, and you might discover others have more in dept knowledge of the hulls they use in Europe.
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

pro 500cc boat

thank both dave for the reply.thats what i really want to hear.you guy are really helpful.i will always keep in mind.safety first!
                              Last edited by lcp8410; 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X