kill switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kill switch question

I have to mount the 3 pole kill switch for my 302 in my boat and I'm wondering if its better to mount on the floor board or on the side wall. Does it matter if its mounted horizontally or vertically? Will it work better one way or another?

Seems to me that horizontal is better as the clip pulls straight off that way.
    Dave
    42-C

Comment

I find horizontal is better for the reason if the get wet they will drain. When vertical they tend to hold water and corrode and fail on you.
      Sean Byrne

Comment

Putting it in the floor board runs the chance of it getting wet and killing the engine if you should take on some water from heavy spray or worse and the water sloches around in the bilge under the floor board. Jack
        Last edited by Jack Stotts; 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Horizontal Mounting Works Best

Make yourself a simple L-bracket for a side wall mounting about one to two inches (you need to have access to the switch wire connects) off of the hull bottom or kneeling board and a few inches back from your steering wheel dash. If water gets deeper than 1 inch inside the hull, then the kill switch is the least of your problems - LOL.

Make sure the bracket corners are rounded to avoid snags or cuts from the bracket on clothes or your bare skin. Mount the bracket so that your knee or arm will not hit the kill switch assembly when you are bouncing around during a rough water heat. Make sure your tether will not get wrapped around the bracket. I can add a digital picture here if you want to see what my aluminum L-bracket looks like for mounting my kill switch in my PRO laydown hydro. Even when my hydro was a "kneeler", I used an L-bracket mounted to the composite combing wall for the kill switch.

I prefer to mount the kill switch on the opposite side of my steering hand (left side if you drive right-handed.) I use the hip level ring on my Security Racing Life Jacket for the tether but many guys and gals use a wrist tether - there are good points and bad points about both methods of tethering the kill switch key or cap, it's all driver preference.

Al

Comment

As long as we have been using tether kill switches I have always mounted mine through the cockpit side a couple of inches off the floor and just back of the steering wheel on the right side. Works well coming into the pits. Back off on the throttle, take hand off wheel, reach down pull lanyard.

Field tested it two weeks ago at the USTS race in Lake Alfred. Went out of the boat, broke off the cockpit side at the deck. Kill switch worked just like it should.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion Al. That was exactly along the lines I was thinking. The aluminum bracket was a better idea than mine tho.
              Right side sounds like a good place for it !
              Last edited by Harold8; 05-08-2013, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Made the aluminum bracket and ended up mounting it under the throttle. Went testing and it works great. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                X