How to remove a saddle from the tower on a KG4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove a saddle from the tower on a KG4

Can't see any obvious way to get it apart. Please help!

Been a long long time since I attempted this (mid 50's) and what I was working on was a Wizard Super 10 which was the Western Auto model of the KG-7, BUT what I remember about removing the clamp bracket was you removed the swivel pin that goes down thru the saddle and then thru some cast on the tower housing "bulges" that contained bushings that the pin was located in.

Don't remember now whether the swivel pin was held in with some type retainer on the top, but I do remember the pin was threaded, in the ID on the top, and you had to thread a "puller" into the swivel pin at the top and then pull up on it and it helped to turn it at the same time. I don't remember ever having a special puller so probably just used something with the right thread.

Quite possibly with a motor that old, the pin is rusted, corroded, etc., in the bushings in the bulges on the housing and needs some heat/penetrating oil or both. If you heat it be careful and not use to much. Aluminum melts, you know!

Probably some one else will come here and chime in also. There are many here with that type motor experience I am sure.

Comment

Build a puller

Get some threaded rod with the same thread as in the pin. The rod has to be longer than the swivel pin. Install the rod onto the swivel pin. Next find a pipe that is longer than the swivel pin but shorter than the rod. Put the pipe over th rod. Use a big washer or a plate with a hole in it. Place that on top of the pipe with the rod coming through the hole. Finally take a nut and tighten it until the swivel pin is pulled up and out.

Comment

For all kinds of stuff on old Mercurys go to: johnsoldmercurysite.com
        There are people on that site who can help you with just about anything related to old Mercurys and more.
        kk

Comment

Removing swivel pin

I purchased a cheap slide hammer, like use to remove dents, that crooks use to remove ignition and door locks. The threads are the same as those in the swivel pin. I soak the uppper and lower bushings in penetrating oil for a couple of days if it looks really stuck. Screw in the the rod and wail away. Some times a little heat from a propane torch helps.

David

Comment

The threads in the pin are the same as the top of the crankshaft where the flywheel nut goes on. I always had a junk crank around. Just screwed it in & a little pounding with a hammer it would come aprart. However a slide hammer would work much better.

Comment

Working...
            X