125+cc hydro help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125+cc hydro help

i want to get into hydro racing pro i have done lots of research about pro and other classes can some some help me out
    how fast do 125cc go?
    how fast do 175cc go?
    I have much skill with motors and have built and rebuilt many 2stroke and 4 stroke motors racing and stock
    i weigh in at about 180 and height of 5ft7in
    i was wondering about capsules i know at that level they are not needed but i may run one how much safer is a capsule and how much does it slow you down with the added weight an wind resistance
    i want a competitive motor but now super touchy what would a good motor be and how much does it cost to get a good rig in these cc classes ready to run
    Last edited by racingfan; 03-04-2011, 06:33 PM.

I'm pretty certain a capsule would make the handling of a boat with just a 125 too unwieldy to be even remotely competitive even if it added no weight. Add the extra weight factor and I would not be surprised to see you lapped by every other boat on the course before the race was over.

Comment

thanks SAM i thought so
      what is a good motor to run that some what user friendly and will last a while before a rebuild????
      based on my aprox. size and my rookie skill level what would be a good class 125cc or 200cc mod ????
      where do i get a hull??
      whats a good hull co.????
      whats a good price???
      i have experience driving almost any type of vessel, v hulls, jet boats,sailboats,ect, i know hydros are different but i know water conditions at least i have some experience on the water (yes hydros are a whole new level)
      Last edited by racingfan; 03-04-2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Racing Fan;

I hope you join the most friendly and real boat racers in the World....PRO. I would recommend the 125cc class, with VRP Engines or GRM being your choices. I'd recommend VRP, but.....look at GRM also. I can help you with a racing gearcase, a Yomato Lite in 11:15, 11:16, or 11:17 ratio.

Jim McKean............"captainjimmckean@yahoo.com"

Comment

Welcome aboard

Originally posted by racingfan View Post
          i want to get into hydro racing pro i have done lots of research about pro and other classes can some some help me out
          how fast do 125cc go?
          how fast do 175cc go?
          I have much skill with motors and have built and rebuilt many 2stroke and 4 stroke motors racing and stock
          i weigh in at about 180 and height of 5ft7in
          i was wondering about capsules i know at that level they are not needed but i may run one how much safer is a capsule and how much does it slow you down with the added weight an wind resistance
          i want a competitive motor but now super touchy what would a good motor be and how much does it cost to get a good rig in these cc classes ready to run
          First off welcome, To answer a few of your questions a capsule in 125 is not the best choice as it will add a ton of weight and it really is not necessary in 125 hydro run in the mid to upper 70's in competition. Your weight is Ok as some 125 drivers are this weight. This class is the largest bore and stroke class in PRO, participation wise, and you can expect elimination heats at most races. These are highly tuned motors and though they are very durable with only minor service, they do require good driving habits because of their torque. I personally think that 125 is the best to learn PRO racing from because when you master 125 you could then run a 700 perfectly or any other class. 175 is also a great beginner class. This offers a great power to weight ratio on the same or similar boat as a 125. Some drivers that have a 125 also have a 175 and use the same boat. For information only, Pete Voss and Dianne Murry have a complete 175 rig for sale and it is a proven front runner. It is not true that 175 is not run much as it is run at the USTS races. I hope this answers a few of your questions. You can call me at 770 428 0568 if you have more. Thanks Steve

Comment

hey Steve thanks you were the helpful one
            do you guys really use the same boat to run 125 and 175 you guys just swap motors right ???
            thats cool

Comment

125 or 175

My name is Rex Hall and for your weight I think a 175 would be a better choice. The 175 is only 5 to 6 mph faster than the 125, but has a lot more power to get a heavier driver going out of a turn and getting up on plane. They are also a little less troublesome to run correctly for a beginner. There are a lot of boats and motors available for this class and it does run at almost all USTS races and the National Championship. Feel free to contact me if you need any further advice. (816)532-4588

Comment

Racingfan - hi. As Steve Litzell mentioned, I (Diane Murray) have a complete boat/motor for all. All hardware included. Just need the driver - boat/engine ready to go. I set the World Record in Ocoee, FL last year as well as was the APBA highpoint champion in the 175cc Hydro class. If you want to be competitive and run in the front - this combination is it. This boat and engine are well maintained - housed in an enclosed trailer when not racing. You can check out http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20687

You can email me at dlmurray@optonline.net or call me (631-875-8551) or Pete Voss (631-645-2543) for more information if you are interested.

Where are you located?
                Last edited by dlmurray; 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dlmurray View Post
                  Racingfan - hi. As Steve Litzell mentioned, I (Diane Murray) have a complete boat/motor for all. All hardware included. Just need the driver - boat/engine ready to go. I set the World Record in Ocoee, FL last year as well as was the APBA highpoint champion in the 175cc Hydro class. If you want to be competitive and run in the front - this combination is it. This boat and engine are well maintained - housed in an enclosed trailer when not racing. You can check out http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20687

You can email me at dlmurray@optonline.net or call me (631-875-8551) or Pete Voss (631-645-2543) for more information if you are interested.

Where are you located?
                  If you have the money start with the best. Then you don't have to worry about the equipment just work on developing your driving skills.
                  Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

this is for every one
                    note i am sorry if i said anything offending earlier when i first posted i was just upset that i just joined and i was getting nailed but i have seen junky posts i think he was a nut i will be glad to tell you guys i am not him and i do not know him
                    but i have read his posts i like one thing there simple qu. but i will not mirror him in any way i see that he probability offended you guys i will try my hardest not to
                    i know a bit about hydros but i am still pretty/really clueless so that's why i am here
                    the only thing i will try to do here is learn from the best if i seem stuiped it is because i am new to the sport please bear with me and my stupid qu.
                    thank you

Comment

this is for every one
                      note i am sorry if i said anything offending earlier when i first posted i was just upset that i just joined and i was getting nailed but i have seen junky posts i think he was a nut i will be glad to tell you guys i am not him and i do not know him
                      but i have read his posts i like one thing there simple qu. but i will not mirror him in any way i see that he probability offended you guys i will try my hardest not to
                      i know a bit about hydros but i am still pretty/really clueless so that's why i am here
                      the only thing i will try to do here is learn from the best if i seem stuiped it is because i am new to the sport please bear with me and my stupid qu.
                      thank you
                      racingfan, I think you will like driving a hydro. Ive never driven a pro rig & am sure at near 3x the Rs of a stock motor its different. The hydro is different too, when spectating Id watch the racers turn & think how the heck are they doing that so fast? Id only been a joy rider till I found myself negotiating turns as fast as I dared trying to keep the pack in sight. A few times out, your used to the flight aspect of driving & you'll be cool. What Mike wrote about buyin a great rig & concentrating on driving skill from my 2nd-3rd hand, point of view makes sense...
                      Team Tower

Comment

Call me if you want more info

hey Steve thanks you were the helpful one
                        do you guys really use the same boat to run 125 and 175 you guys just swap motors right ???
                        thats cool
                        hey racingfan, I have been in shop all day so sorry I did not get back to you. yes in most cases 125 and 175 drivers use the same boat. I too would suggest the 175 as it will be easier to learn to drive. the 175 that Dianne has is a 2 cylinder motor and it will run much smoother than the single 125. You can reach me in my shop tomorrow if you want, if you give me your number I will call you to save you the dime as they say. thankyou for your consideration
                        Steve

Comment

OK so 125 is single cylinder i did not know that
                          is there a semi accurate hp rating on the motors like would a tuned 125cc be like 18 hp 2-stroke with high rpm????? (probability not spot on but could you guys give me a range maybe 15hp - 25hp example)
                          i can understand a 125 cc power a bit better in basic hp range but if there isn't then oh well

you can run 125cc boat in 175 right that's cool

whats the avg price for a ready to run 125 with a grm or something?????

i was also thinking i got a couple 2 stroke outboard motors 15hp 20hp 25hp 30hp i know these are not racing motors but i could buy a boat and buy a race motor and throw one of my small 2 stroke motors on it and run it in the lake for a day or two just to get the sort of feel for a hydro then get farther into racing
                          (bad idea/good idea)?????
                          (first hydro in the water no exp. on driving one)

Comment

crap i can't race 175cc do to age restrictions
                            yes i am young
                            so i am stuck in 125cc any ideas for a boat and motor combo if there is one for sale i am already starting to talking to Diane Murray
                            is that a 175cc motor???

Comment

125+cc hydro help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious about what research you've done regarding pro and other classes. What was your source of information and what did you learn. May help to understand what it is that you already know. This website, and it's links, are a great resouce of information..and quite accurate as well.
                              Good luck with the learning curve.

Comment

Working...
                              X