Cable steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable steering

Newbie question: What's the best way and more importantly the right way to wrap steering cable on the steering drum. I have a sorensen CSH that i'm putting together. I'm using the plastic coated cable.

One wrap around each half of the drum and make SURE that the Cable comes off the bottom of the drum to the pulley. If not when you turn left the motor will send you right. Not fun at all!!!!!
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
      One wrap around each half of the drum and make SURE that the Cable comes off the bottom of the drum to the pulley. If not when you turn left the motor will send you right. Not fun at all!!!!!
      If you haven't done this at least once in your life you are lying. I rigged a pleasure boat last summer with cable steering exactly this way. Never checked anything, when I got to the lake I couldn't understand why it went left for right. I knew I had done it correctly. Dummy, it has tiller steering not a steering bar.

kk
      Last edited by krazy karl; 02-27-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
        If you haven't done this at least once in your live you are lying. I rigged a pleasure boat last summer with cable steering exactly this way. Never checked anything, when I got to the lake I couldn't understand why it went left for right. I knew I had done it correctly. Dummy, it has tiller steering not a steering bar.

kk
        I personally have not done it yet but I saw a guy do it for his kid in the ASX class and it was funny to watch but I am sure the kid was freaking. He never got off plane and was good enough to come right back in. That is one thing I will always remember not to do!

Comment

Sounds

Like a country song too ME.
          Dave over and out!!

Comment

Last summer at the Oroville nationals there was a homemade hydro for sale in the parking lot. The cable steering came off the top of the drum, to solve the problem they had the cables run across the cockpit to the opposite steering bar. (wish I had a camera with me.)

Comment

Originally posted by CSR4C View Post
              Last summer at the Oroville nationals there was a homemade hydro for sale in the parking lot. The cable steering came off the top of the drum, to solve the problem they had the cables run across the cockpit to the opposite steering bar. (wish I had a camera with me.)
              Unreal but funny

Comment

cable steering

Thanks to all who replied. Ran'em today. worked like a charm. would have spent forever trying to figure it out. years ago when my dad's old starcraft had pulley steering, the cable fell off the spool one day while we were water skiing. my father never tightned anything.

Comment

Working...
                X