X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helmet question

hi all,

actually 2 questions....

1. i have a shoei rf 800 xl helmet that is just a little loose. i'm too big for a large helmet. is there something they make that i can wear on my head when i put the helmet on to take up room? would a do-rag work?

2. what is the rule on designs on the helmets? i would like to get something around the basenot any higher than the bottom of the shield.

lou lommason just delivered his old trailer and oconner cmod hydro and goller 102 to me. that's who i got the helmet from. it is snugger then the xl i borrowed before. that xl was a lot looser.

frank

Some thing I learned the hard way.
    Helmet sizes vary quite a lot from one manufacturer to the next. You may need a large from one maker, and an XL from another. Best thing to do is try different ones on before you buy. There are also different SHAPES of heads. Some helmets fit round heads better than narrow heads, and the likewise.
    I have seen some racers wear do-rags to make a helmet fit right.

Comment

i've had this problem before

jeff,

my head is an inbetween size. when i refereed college football i had a heck of a time wearing a fitted hat. to make one fit i had to get a close haircut on the sides. the do rag may just be what i need to snug it up. been on several sites to see what the motor cycle guys use. going to a cycle shop on tuesday. it probably fits ok but i want it a little snugger.

frank

Comment

Try the Do-Rag

I started wearing a do-rag last season. Tightened my helmet just right, and keeps it from bouncing around in the chop and slop I usually race in.
        Tom Burwinkle
        11-K
        sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

do-rag

tom,

that's good to know. did you ever look into a helmet liner?

frank

Comment

I have no idea whether the Shoei brand is made the same way as the Bell helmets, but some years ago I bought a new model of a Bell helmet that was VERY expensive (Kevlar when it just came out) and it was purchased in the same size as previous Bells I had owned. Long story short, it was too tight. I called Bell and they told me that several different sizes were actually the same size insofar as the OUTER hard shell of the helmet and that they were sized to fit in a narrow range with the inside liner. I was told if I sent it back to them they would replace the INNER liner with a slightly thinner inner shell for a larger size, and it would probably fit me then.

I did and it did. Perhaps Shoei's are constructed the same way and this could be done for yours. Worth a phone call to the distributor it would seem.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            X