omc points problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omc points problem

I have a 74 short shaft rude ? I want to convert it to cdi ?......any ideas or parts ?

?

What horse power?
    17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

There's things to consider, If you can find bolt on parts from another model- would be good, if not the most important thing is the crank taper. You might have to make a collar for the time base, If you retro fit an adaption you'll have to re set the time, possibly make a new stationary timing mark to meet the new flywheel markings. You'll need new cdi type coils & your old magneto time setting might need to change to less advance. There's more to consider if a retrofit, if you separate timing & throttle like a race motor, fairly easy. If you want to run it as a stock like the typical time base cam driven throttle it might be a trick to get right. If you use electric start the starter might not work with the new flywheel. It generally can be done but depending on what motor could be very difficult & leave you with no given information. If the points you have trouble with are Sierra, Ive heard they aren't as good as OMC. There are devices available to be sure your points are set exactly right [they can be sensitive]. You also have the Magna-Tune point replacement device option. Good Luck
      Team Tower

Comment

Trying to find the magna tune web site or any info on points replacement for older outboards..thanks

Comment

Originally posted by calvin View Post
          Trying to find the magna tune web site or any info on points replacement for older outboards..thanks
          I looked under 'magna tune ignition module' & there's alot to go thru. Possibly something of interest. I found them in a motor that was running on 1 [of 2] cyl's & gave them to a pal that swears by them. Ive heard good & bad, Sierra appears to make them. Good Luck.
          Team Tower

Comment

I used a product called (Atom Module?) made for lawnmowers and other small engines. Removed the points from my 102 and ran them for a couple of years. I bought them at the local NAPA store.
            Maroney Racing

Comment

Before you do that can I ask, what are you trying to fix?

OMC ran the same points/coils under the flywheel since about 1953 up until the mid 70's when pointless ignitions took over. When you use the timing fixtures, when you check to see both coils are in round with the jig, and everything is functional, that ignition will give you years of great dependable service with one pull starts.
              Bill Schwab
              Miss KTDoodle #62C
              -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Originally posted by Skoontz View Post

OMC ran the same points/coils under the flywheel since about 1953 up until the mid 70's when pointless ignitions took over. When you use the timing fixtures, when you check to see both coils are in round with the jig, and everything is functional, that ignition will give you years of great dependable service with one pull starts.
                Yup, they will. just gotta be right. I found on a '72 25 the eccentric adj. screw was loose & the points would wander & fail shortly after. I compensated with a single carefully place drop of loctite.
                Team Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Skoontz View Post

That is, unless the top crankshaft seal is slobbering oil all over the ignition. That often happens when engines get to be 30+ years old.

Comment

True Jeff, but then I would still probably opt for changing that seal and run what it was designed with.
                    Bill Schwab
                    Miss KTDoodle #62C
                    -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

After going to the trouble of removing the flywheel it makes sense to do it. When they fail it wouldn't take much to foul the points contacts so you might not see much residue under the mag plate. With a CDI, less likely to fail early- oil can coat the whole block from the upper seal & it still run.
                      Team Tower

Comment

it's a 60 cyl

Comment

I'm sick of dealing with the problems...

Comment

Hey Rock,
                            If ya really feel like checkin out you can always take the lid offa yer gas can and sniff check the can for water. You'll be on 'the other side' before ya know it.
                            No more problems.

Comment

Originally posted by rockdamage View Post
                              it's a 60 cyl
                              60hp?, is that a 2 or 3 cylinder?, What year,? We're try-in but could possibly help more knowing what it is. The combined replies do cover it very well in general.
                              Team Tower

Comment

Working...
                              X