Any use this motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any use this motor?

I would like to put a boat together with my son, to introduce him to the sport. I am having difficulty deciding between a runabout or hydro, I love them both. I have a 1974 vintage 20hp merc ob with 2 powerheads that runs strong. I was wondering if this engine could be adapted for use in the sport, and if so what would I need to make it work.
    Thanks Jim.

Jim, welcome to HydroRacer and to the sport. Before we talk about the motor you mentioned there are a few questions we need to ask. Once the questions are answered we can see where your you and your son should start.

1. Where are you located?

2. What is the closest racing club to you; we can help you with this one.

3. Age of your son?

Once you find a club tell them your goals as they relate to what your vision is for you and your son. Look and or ask for a mentor, this will save you lots of time and money. My guess is that once you are hooked up with a club you will find more than enough help. Beyond the local club approach continue to use HydroRacer as forum for your questions.

Good Luck!

Sam
    Last edited by Islandmon; 12-26-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I live in Algonac Mi. I don't know of any clubs in the area but I'm sure there's one. My son is eleven. I would like to put a boat together with him as a learning experience then let him become comfortable running the boat before he gets into competition if he decides to pursue the sport.
      Jim

Comment

Welcome,
        You are in a very active state for boat racing. I am sure the Michigan gang will be responding shortly. You will find the folks very helpful.
        If you really want a great father/son adventure make sure you check out the Top'O'Michigan marathon!

sigpic
        SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Welcome aboard Jim,Check out www.michiganhydroplane.com and www.tomorc.com Your son is the right age for J hydro-runabout.Its a very competitive class for the young drivers and gives them a ton of exprience.
          Bob

Comment

Jim, this is your lucky day! I live in Plymouth and have a place on Harsens Island. I'll be glad to give you what guidance I can but I'm guessing there are better qualified people out there based on the class your son would fall into. Being that we live in Mich we very lucky to have the MHRA www.michiganhydroplane.com in our backyard. You will have a more than enough help with this bunch of great racers and crews. I'll send you a PM with my phone number, feel free to call me anytime. Just as an FYI I'll be on the island this coming week, maybe we can hook up.

Cheers,

Sam
            Last edited by Islandmon; 12-26-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jg480 View Post
              I live in Algonac Mi. I don't know of any clubs in the area but I'm sure there's one. My son is eleven. I would like to put a boat together with him as a learning experience then let him become comfortable running the boat before he gets into competition if he decides to pursue the sport.
              Jim
              You hit the jackpot, you are located in one of the hottest spots in the country for Stock Outboard racing.

http://www.michiganhydroplane.com/NewRacers.html

Welcome!
              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Thanks for the Links, I was not aware of those sites looks like alot of great info there. I wouldn't mind doing that Marathon myself!
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jg480 View Post
                  I would like to put a boat together with my son, to introduce him to the sport. I am having difficulty deciding between a runabout or hydro, I love them both. I have a 1974 vintage 20hp merc ob with 2 powerheads that runs strong. I was wondering if this engine could be adapted for use in the sport, and if so what would I need to make it work.
                  Thanks Jim.
                  Welcome to A-MOD!!!!! just need to find ya a 25SS tower/foot and yer race'n
                  Perhaps a proposal to allow the Sidewinder tower/foot (+powerhead adapter plate) would sell some product fer Race'n Outboards?

100N
                  Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 01-01-2011, 08:17 AM.
                  100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

25 Mod

Thanks Steve,
                    I realize that that motor would be too much for the boy. I'll keep my eye open for a "J" boat for him. Since I don't really have any use for the 20's that I have I'd like to put together a 25 mod for myself. Any help would be appreciated.
                    Thanks Jim.

Comment

Working...
                    X