30h hard runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30h hard runner

I have a 30h that runs great without a prop, and when I put the prop on, it will not start in the water. It has a Fairbanks morse mag, cleaned the points. Went through the carbs and fuel pumps. I'm running a little aluminum flywheel so roping it over really gets my back bent outta shape. The crank is stuffed and balanced. Replaced the first ring on each piston at the time since I was low on cash. It has the non oil hole rods which are stronger, and good bearings and seals all the way around. I have the arrow lined up on the mag pulley with the center of the crank at TDC for cyl #1, but does anyone have the direct operation on how to time this? Seems to rev up nice with no prop.

I think low compression is about all I can come up with now, maybe a weak coil? Even had new sparkplugs in it...

How hard is it to find an 25XS tower, adapter, foot?

I'm really liking the 45sst also. Electric start, and 80's sounds nice.
    Shawn

Mercs

You may want to post this question over on the Merc Board, as there are many guys there who currently run this motor, although even at 51 yrs old, it is still seen racing in Cmod.

http://www.pfs-ware.com/talkshop/

1st thing to check is the compression; -maybe your rings have not bedded in?
    2nd; -check to see that all four plug leads are going to the correct cylinders. Two could be right, and two wrong.
    3rd; -you are going to have to learn to time this motor using a buzz box and depth indicator/ dial gage.
    Parts get interchanged and marks can be wrong.
    4th; -I hope u were not in grinding on the ports on this block. That may be why it will not pull.
    Last edited by bh/; 07-29-2008, 06:33 AM. Reason: sp
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Originally posted by xcelerator View Post
      Buy one brand new from IAI;

<www.iaiperformance.com/contactus.html >

Your 30H boot will bolt right on,
      but u will have to shorten the shaft.
      Brian Hendrick, #66 F
      "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

I put a 30h together one time and it would crank and run until the prop hit the water then it would die . Come to find out I put the pistons in backwards.

Comment

30h

Originally posted by runaboutralph View Post
          I put a 30h together one time and it would crank and run until the prop hit the water then it would die . Come to find out I put the pistons in backwards.
          PISTONS IN BACKWARDS!!! That's too funny Ralph, evidently you to you were not paying attention when Tab taught you the correct way to put them in!!!

Comment

You

Originally posted by runaboutralph View Post
            Are from Da south, ain't ya ? Ya know, the fact that you had to place the rope at the end of the engine that was closest to the water should have tipped you off you put it in backwards. Those Mercs don't need that big of a spacer plate........ hehehhe. It must have been hard to get the rope between the tower housing and the powerhead with so little clearance.
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

I said the pistons not the crank. about the reply I would expect from a yank.

Comment

hmmm pistons in backwards

that must have been whaayyyyyyy back when you was a rookie i bet LOLOL

i see new life coming in to the 30-h mods done properly should be very competetive with the yamatos
                i almost wish i had monies to get a 30h mod

im am still getting all my motors together here and fixing boats trailers etc trying to get it all together for next year maybe i will make dayton ohio and shelbyville but that is about all i will make

dave you find a lower unit ?

good luck have fun

Randy
                Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

30h hard runner
                  I have a 30h that runs great without a prop, and when I put the prop on, it will not start in the water. It has a Fairbanks morse mag, cleaned the points. Went through the carbs and fuel pumps. I'm running a little aluminum flywheel so roping it over really gets my back bent outta shape. The crank is stuffed and balanced. Replaced the first ring on each piston at the time since I was low on cash. It has the non oil hole rods which are stronger, and good bearings and seals all the way around. I have the arrow lined up on the mag pulley with the center of the crank at TDC for cyl #1, but does anyone have the direct operation on how to time this? Seems to rev up nice with no prop.

I think low compression is about all I can come up with now, maybe a weak coil? Even had new sparkplugs in it...

I'm really liking the 45sst also. Electric start, and 80's sounds nice.
                  Before you added rings to the top did you hone and crosshatch the cylinders in the block ??
                  if not the rings will eventually break in but it will take longer to do so in some cases much longer !

almost sounds like your timing is way off ! as in way too high never set your timing at top dead center

get a dial indicator, mount it in a hollowed out spark plug so you can screw it into the #1 spark plug hole find top dead center,
                  and back it off to well start at .330 before top dead center then set up your buzz box timeing buzzer and adjust so you hear the buzzer change thats when you lock it all down as the time is now set to spark at .330 before top dead center

.330 is a safe place to start you can time it higher or lower but the higher you set it the harder it will be to start

especially if you use a locked mag set up it is better to use a swinging mag set up when you have the timing set high like .375..400 etc they get real hard to start with high timing and locked mag setups

hope this sheds some light on it good luck

Randy
                  Last edited by RandY Aveline; 07-30-2008, 04:50 PM. Reason: more info
                  Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Working...
                  X