OMC A throttle linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC A throttle linkage

OK, I have a recurrent issue here that maybe some of you have had.

On the metal linkage that sits on top of an OMC carb, there is a long nut on one end with an allen screw on the bottom that goes through one end of the linkage. In the center, is a hole where the throttle cable goes through and on top is the screw you turn to set the throttle cable. The bottom screw, the allen screw, has come loose several times on us now. I typically use red loc-tite, this last time I used green, which is the one for press fit parts like water pump pulleys on Cat tractors.

The dog gone thing still got loose on us, and for protection I used a little 200 MPH tape and that held it, but, it was a mickey mouse way to fix something that ain't right.... It's not so bad if the screw gets loose, however, being it sits right over the open hole of the carb, you know where it's going when it drops out!

The threads are in good shape, matter of fact I chased them and the allen screw, then cleaned them up before the loc-tite.

Could it be assumed that if I replaced the long nut and screws the problem will go away, or, is there some other thing that goes bad causing this?

Thanks for the help.
    Bill Schwab
    Miss KTDoodle #62C
    -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Skoontz
    The original throttle cable wire retainer (332926) was a hex that was turned down on the bottom end where it went through the hole in the throttle bellcrank and was retained with a flat washer and cotter pin. It sounds like some one altered an internal threaded 1/4" hex spacer used it with an allen screw as a substitute for the original part. Not a bad idea, mines getting sloppy.
    Bill Thomas
    36-R

Comment

Bill:

Is this a Sea-Way item, or get it from the Sidewinder people?
      Bill Schwab
      Miss KTDoodle #62C

Comment

Originally posted by Skoontz View Post
        Bill:

Is this a Sea-Way item, or get it from the Sidewinder people?
        Most of the throttle linkages are NLA, some are being re-made (the bell crank is) but you'd have to call Sea Way to find out. 206-397-7373

Comment

Schoontz:
          Don't know if they are available ( they were not a standard OMC part). The diameter of the pin end of the hex on my motor is about .141 diameter. If the allen screw that was used is larger than this, then the hole in your bellcrank will be too large. Your present fix may be the only way to go unless someone is reproducing these parts.

Bill

Comment

Thank you for all the help. i had an idea....I could take a piece of .141 steel, (turn it down to that diameter), drill a cotter pin hole in it...Then silver solder it to the brass nut I have if the part is NOA. Since the silver solder will flow very well and we are fitting steel to brass, it should work pretty well.

The other way, would be to find another allen screw, drill it, thread it in, then silver solder it....

Argh...Longbeach in 3 days, it will be an after the race fix!
            Bill Schwab
            Miss KTDoodle #62C

Comment

Dave Scott Comes to Mind?

But , it,s kinda like going up San Dieguito on a jet Ski , Pretty risky like beer on whiskey.
              RichardKCMo
              You better not talk to those DEMS.
              I can't believe what i just said, i know i didn't mean it , duck yer' head Richotti? spelling i think the snow is melting though is ony repeating his fathers Mistakes, hey , skoontz how 's tricks as my aunt from Chi' used to say.........Hope you weren't counting on me to be your scape goat, hang on we have , at least 5 goats in our front yard.

Be back.

Comment

Wasn't Kidding ?

Really things , ya' don't say unless you somewhere else, this starts ( this aint know sheet)'
                Had a buch of goats in my front yard, guy the road moved in and doesn't know all there is too know about critters , i'm think ing don't need a lawn mower, it's really not funny , you guys just don't know , if you knew how my wife felt about such things, she hates boatraces and goatsnthat order, well sort' .
                I'm afraid i'm going to have to be up, er awake in the morning.
                If i could be a DEM it would be so easy, and go to a public school , dream on...
                RichardKCMo

Comment

Working...
                X