No announcement yet.

55h foot on 44xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this thread from a few years ago. Interesting reading.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...ato+lower+unit

$1700 for a 55h lower unit. OUCH!
    Randy Rapedius

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
      An honest question for the sake of this discussion.

I didn't know Mr Scott sold the 44xs gearcases. How much does a newly rebuilt unit cost?

Thanks.
      Jeff,

Dave Scott is working on putting complete gearfoots together for the 44XS. I believe he has the gears done from the foundry and now needs the cases to get closer to completion.

I know you have gone to the Tohastu, as well as others, but people like Mr. Scott are what is helping keep the Merc 44XS alive. I try to support him as much as I can by buying his parts and services. The Tohatsu may ultimately be the engine of choice for DSH, but there are some of us trying to keep competition alive.

My dad and I have three 44XS and two gear foots. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon or a brain scientist to figure out what will ultimately keep our engines off the water.

If anyone knows where 44XS gearfoots are readily available, please post the info here.

Thanks,

Steve
      SCI Materials #30.

Comment

pricing

Jeff,

A rebuilt unit I sell for 1300-1500$. The cases i suspect to be in 400-500$ range empty. I will revisit this when the case are a reality.

I am waiting for the 3D solids model of the gearcase to go ahead with the molds. Just a point of interest a new SST-120 SSM6 is 16K new.

Regards,
        Dave Scott
        Aim Marine Inc.
        613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
        Ottawa, Canada
        http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
        DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

Connecting the dots...

So, based solely on what I've read here on this thread: A person could sell his or her 55H lower unit on eBay. The proceeds from that sale would pay for a professionally rebuilt 44xs lower unit (or at least, pay for a very large portion of the bill.)

Am I correct with this conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
            So, based solely on what I've read here on this thread: A person could sell his or her 55H lower unit on eBay. The proceeds from that sale would pay for a professionally rebuilt 44xs lower unit (or at least, pay for a very large portion of the bill.)

Am I correct with this conclusion?
            Sounds about right. You have to remember the ebay world is not racer reality. Collectors go there to gobble up stuff. That is why if you want your parts to stay in the racing world, sell it on here or BoatRacingFacts or ScreamandFly. You have a much better chance to keep it on the track that way.

If all you want is the almighty dollar, head to ebay by all means.

Steve,
            SCI Materials #30.

Comment

Now I understand. Forty years ago, as I ran out the kitchen door on my way to school, my Mother would holler to me... "Get a "Hat", son!

Well.... it took me a while, but I now have a "Hat", as in To hat su. And, I have no lower unit problems, no tail cones to grease, or ignition problems, or mickey-mouse throttle linkage problems. I'm just working on my 'bad' cholesterol level at the moment.

Comment

Now I understand. Fifty years ago, as I ran out the kitchen door on my way to school, my Mother would holler to me... "Get a "Hat", son!

Well.... it took me a while, but I now have a "Hat", as in To hat su. And, I have no lower unit problems, no tail cones to grease, or ignition problems, or mickey-mouse throttle linkage problems. I'm just working on my 'bad' cholesterol level at the moment.

Comment

I bet you

laugh at your own jokes , 2 times.
                  RichardKCMo
                  Originally posted by ram95 View Post
                  Now I understand. Fifty years ago, as I ran out the kitchen door on my way to school, my Mother would holler to me... "Get a "Hat", son!

RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H
                    67. It was moved and seconded to approve a 55H gearcase on the Mercury 44XS in the D Stock Classes. MOTION PASSED.
                    This is great news! I expect to see some more D's out there this year.

Comment

you boys get them d motors fitted with the 55 h Unit. We got it passed along with some more superthunderbolt options. Mike
                      mike ross

Comment

Does this only apply to the 44XS or can an older style Mercury lower unit be used on a 25XS as well?
                        Austin Duggan, 78M

Comment

Thank you. I think a lesson is to be learned here. Have a mod guy ask for stock changes. LOL

Looks like I have to find a wide body DSH now. Looks like I get to go back to Big Rapids.

Comment

Mod / Stock

Originally posted by brian View Post
                            Thank you. I think a lesson is to be learned here. Have a mod guy ask for stock changes. LOL

Looks like I have to find a wide body DSH now. Looks like I get to go back to Big Rapids.
                            Brian,

In the end we are one big happy family......

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by ram95 View Post

I agree, I ran a Merc in Marathons last year and had a bit of trouble with it mainly the foot. I'm retiring the Merc to lake racing with a Yamoto foot. It was cheaper to put a maintenance free Yamato foot on it than rebuild the D foot. Also I won't have to spend an hour servicing the merc foot after every outing at the local lake. In the meantime I got a 302 for the marathons and now won't be the only boat in my class in region 11. Now if they, APBA, want to let the Mercs in with Yamato feet I'll bring the Merc back to TopO'. Highly unlikely I'm sure.

Vytorin worked for me.

kk

Comment

If you run a vintage there is no inspection that I am aware of so bring it up and run it. Mike
                                mike ross

Comment

Working...
                                X