need power for my new boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need power for my new boat

i finally bought a nice hydro of this forum. it is 10.5' long to the forks and the space between the airtraps is about 3.5'. i need to know a.) what "class" might this be for curiosity sake. it was raced competitively for many years (based on the inspection sickers on it). i do not plan on racing it but just just riding around with it. what type/ size stock motor (water pump required- no wake zones in canal) should i buy for pleasure application of boat? i tried a honda 15 hp 4-stroke, but it was a little heavy and i though might sink it if i got too far aft. i weigh approx. 160 lbs. should i buy a bigger boat? if so, any recommendations?

It is hard telling what it class it was. Depending on how old it is it could have been an old A Alky, or it could have been a C Mod. But the big thing is it is a racing boat. It is not a toy. I wouldn't recommend any non-racing motor for this boat and I wouldn't recommend running it anywhere but at a boat race. Sorry.

Comment

Those numbers are not enough info... it could be many things. More info needed, or a picture is worth a thousand words.

Most of these boats will sink if you get too far aft... they are built for racing not parking and floating

Sounds like you'd need a 20-30 hp for though.
      Fralick Racing
      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

cool- outside off hanging out @ picknic iusland w/ it, this boat is actually going to be FISHED on the flats and will be doing diving off it, too. it is the ultimate backcountry assault weapon- shallower + faster than a hewes. i rode in a talom tri-hull flats boat w/ a 300 merc. race motor and it hit 82 mph- but it was just too big +heavy.

Comment

Fishing and Diving off of it!? LOL
          Fralick Racing
          Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

it is the backcountry express- the water is always glass-flat back there. i screwed a board between the rails and sit on it and tiller steer it. i put my scuba tank and stuff up under the lexan. i have been using the honda 15, but tiller steering one of these in the wind is, well, a bit funky. the boat wants to do all kinds of crazy stuff like hook, catch edge, etc. but the front end is always true and it never tries to stuff. i think the guy who made did an excellent job and really knew what he was doing in both construction and design. i'm gonna hook up the original rope steering on the motor that you guys recommend for it. i might be afraid of a 30 on it, 'cuz the 15 makes it scoot pretty good. i had a guy in miami build me a prop for it. have good digipix, but don't know how to post them here (instructions wanted). the boat is loads-o-fun and turns heads. i'm 44, but all the kids wanna buy it? after my midlife crisis (much better than motorcycle) dies out, i'll probably sell it to them for what i have in it ($500 usd). but even with the tiller steering, it sure is fun!

Comment

You'll need more than 15hp to push the extra weight of scuba tanks and other gear. This should do it.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Johns...spagenameZWDVW

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

you whave got to be kiding me you do understand that a 15 on that boat would probobly do about 50 atleats if you want try that.
                Joel Kiddy

Comment

Originally posted by paleohydro View Post
                  it is the backcountry express- the water is always glass-flat back there. i screwed a board between the rails and sit on it and tiller steer it. i put my scuba tank and stuff up under the lexan. i have been using the honda 15, but tiller steering one of these in the wind is, well, a bit funky. the boat wants to do all kinds of crazy stuff like hook, catch edge, etc. but the front end is always true and it never tries to stuff. i think the guy who made did an excellent job and really knew what he was doing in both construction and design. i'm gonna hook up the original rope steering on the motor that you guys recommend for it. i might be afraid of a 30 on it, 'cuz the 15 makes it scoot pretty good. i had a guy in miami build me a prop for it. have good digipix, but don't know how to post them here (instructions wanted). the boat is loads-o-fun and turns heads. i'm 44, but all the kids wanna buy it? after my midlife crisis (much better than motorcycle) dies out, i'll probably sell it to them for what i have in it ($500 usd). but even with the tiller steering, it sure is fun!
                  A stock fising motor has a bigger DIA prop than a race type and spins righty,, could explain weirdness in handling. Your also sittn on a board on a boat yer sposed to kneel in. Hope it dont toss ya... got a tethered kill switch?
                  Team Tower

Comment

Handleing

Does your boat have a turn fin hanging off the left sponson? Since this boat was raced, it is only intended to steer left, which might explain some of your handling issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X