No announcement yet.

Racing Lower Unit on eBay - What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Lower Unit on eBay - What is it?

This is not my listing. I'm just bringing it up for discussion. What is it?

The ad says:

Auction is for a lower unit made of aluminum, from a vintage hydroplane. Aluminum casing measures 16 inches tall and 11 inches at its widest. It weighs 15 pounds plus. 1 1/2 rotations of the top shaft equals 1 rotation at the propeller. I believe this unit is probably from a Mercury powered hydroplane as the former owner of the estate raced and built hydros for many years sometime ago and Mercury was his preferred power plant. Condition is excellent aside from a small ding at the water intake and a minor void in the casting, both pictured. Gears turn smoothly and easily. Very pretty unit. Check out our other auctions for more items from this estate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors-etc.
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 05-01-2007, 06:18 PM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

CSerR ??

I t may be an after market one I do not recognise, but I do think it is a stock Evinrude Speeditwin from the '30s, that has been expertley welded and reshaped. Main clue is the hollow cav plate. If it was used on a Merc, it was on a Mark 30, entered in CSerR on the west coast, during the last years of that class.
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Bet You Don't Know...

Do you know what the clasp above the cavation plate is for????

Why would it not be legal in current C Service???? Looks like a Nervous C gearcase to me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hill View Post
        Do you know what the clasp above the cavation plate is for????

Why would it not be legal in current C Service???? Looks like a Nervous C gearcase to me!!!
        Would it be 1930's power trim?

Comment

[QUOTE=Ron Hill;75541]Do you know what the clasp above the cavation plate is for????

Maybe it was not used in CSerR ? -but modified to run in 'ski-racing', once very popular , and the shackle was what the ski rope attached to , ie; as Scott-Atwater 30/33hp in the 50s did.
          So Jeff, at least if the unit fell off, it would still be attached to the skier.
          Brian Hendrick, #66 F
          "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Ski Racing is Still Very Popular... But

You guys are doing wonder for my "BLAWS" this week....(Time change has me screwed up....) Laughing has been good for me...

I'll hold off a few more dazes... before.... Well...Keep THIMKING!!!

Comment

Working...
            X