For Sale; Fin blanks, fin blades and brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Sale; Fin blanks, fin blades and brackets

Hydro fins- finished fins or blank material for you to cut and shape. Get a jump on the competition and comply with the new safety rule requiring aluminum fins at the same time. Blades are available with solid carbon fiber/epoxy layup or CF with a fiberglass core. Standard blank size 5 1/2"x11". Now available with a micronized aluminum surface layer chemically bonded to the substrate to comply with the Stock Outboard Safety Rule yet retain all the desirable properties of contemporary composites. Will pass the aluminum magnet test. Material thickness can be adjusted for your class/strength/thickness requirements including tapering thickness from top to bottom for minimized drag.

Rectangular Fin Blanks

CF/fiberglass/epoxy $75
    CF/epoxy 100
    Aluminized surface layer, add 25
    Cut to your shape, sharpen, re-aluminize 50
    Larger blanks for hydrobouts quoted

Aluminum fin brackets guaranteed square quoted

Contact B&H Race Boats now to get your's in time to use at the WinterNationals and put you in the winners circle.
    Attached Files

Hint, Hint

Hey, Brian Williams: I think you'd better look closer at your rule proposal. I'm not sure that Mr. Hemp is really trying to sell hydro fins. Ed.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H View Post
      Hey, Brian Williams: I think you'd better look closer at your rule proposal. I'm not sure that Mr. Hemp is really trying to sell hydro fins. Ed.
      Mr. Hearn
      Sorry, but the proposal in regards to fin material was not my creation but was forwarded to me as part of the Rules committee, of which I made my opinion known in the response back to the commitee. Since Mr. Hemp's sale does not concern cockpit sides or pickle points, I only have an opinion on the subject and not a personal attachment. If Mr. Hemp is working on a different method for cockpit safety, yet still achieving the same result then I say great. However per UIM rule 522.02 - "Reinforcing must be two layers of 315 grm Aramid Fibre (Kevlar) or comparable material." and since I do not see Kevlar or comparable material in his material list, I would beleive he is refering to fin material and nothing else.

Regardless, it would seem that all proposals are out of the control of those that took the time to write them down and submit them and are now in the hands of the SORC & you. May the best judgement of all for the betterment of the sport prevail.

I thank you for your concern and best of luck in LA. I am sure we all will be on the edge of our seats waiting for news on all the big decisions.
      Brian 10s

Comment

Construction of sides and fins

I hope that everone bears in mind that you can't legistate the quality and proper use of materials in these issues. While it seems a simple fix, I've seen this same type of thing in the inboard safety cell certification. It all comes down to the integrity of the builder of the items and how well they understand the properties of the materials and their proper use.

On the fin side, you can build something of strong materials that will absorb energy as it deforms. You can also build something of weaker materials that by virtue of its geometry will not deform and therefore do more damage. Be careful what you wish for, i don't think it is the materials nearly as much as the design that can do damage. Physics is physics.

On hull sides, who is going to conduct the testing for us? Is an improperly layed up fiber over foam panel stronger than a properly built wood one? Depending on impact angle and incident details this can vary. Again I personally think that this is something that largely boils down to builder integrity.

All this being said, safety should be at the forefront where it belongs. I just want to caution that trying to legislate safety through a blanket policy can be a dangerous thing in itself.

Just some thoughts

Steve Roskowski

Comment

Steve, Well said.
          bill b

Comment

Working...
          X