O'Dea carburetors (rare?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'Dea carburetors (rare?)

One set of three carbs. I think these were manufactured by O'Dea specifically as alky conversion carbs for the Crescent C engine, at least that was what these were on. They might be semi-rare, at least this is the only set I ever saw in Reg. 10. Don't ask for pix; they look like near-copies of the carbs that came on the old Konig FB/FC twins, but have a rough sand-cast finish and have "O'DEA" cast into them. In good condition, jetted for the Crescent.

Are you 100% certain they are jetted for alcohol?

The true identity of the Crescent race motor was an alky motor later converted to gas. Most of the parts O'Dea made or had made for them in the US were for the Stock C Super Stock (gas) class after Crescent/Monark/Volvo had abandoned the motor. Back when it was a competitive alky motor it was very well supported by Crescent and I doubt any aftermarket parts would have been needed.

Comment

'alky'...?

This one is an alky, and has the cloned O'Dea/Konig carbs, with Bing floats. Not sure how well Dick was supported in the end, as few of these [fragile] light weight mids are now seen.
      Last edited by bh/; 10-02-2006, 08:41 PM. Reason: pic
      Brian Hendrick, #66 F
      "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

pic

This pic will not 'up-load'. I will try another PC
        Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

Sam, I'm not 100% sure of that, and I'll try to find out. But as I remember (and I never ran the class) all of the Super C Crescents used 25mm butterfly Bings, as did the early 4-cylinder piston-port Konigs. These are 28mm barrel-valve carbs, and they sure don't look fragile, Brian. But if a guy were worried about that, and wasn't trying to build a period-correct Crescent, he could soft-mount them.

Comment

pic ???

The adds show the early gassers equipped with Amal GPs,
            which would have been expensive, and unnecessarily complicated.
            The 'fragile' I was referring to was the OEM cast mid section, that failed in service.
            The Bing floats on this one were rubber mounted.
            Hope this pic uploads.
            Attached Files
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

Thanks, Brian

I wonder if the owner rigged those remote floats himself; my carbs have integral floats, like the earlier Konig carbs.

Comment

O'Dea Carbs.....

The ones shown in Brians's photo are Konig FA carbs. Dick built a "Paterson Copy" of the Konig 4 cylinder carbs that were more like the bore size of the FA carbs. ( 4 cylinders were 40mm, the FA was 34mm). They were only built for alcohol.

Michael D-1

Comment

Not sure I understand, Mike. Did O'Dea built two styles of carbs? The ones I have are not at all like the 40mm 4-cyl Konig carbs. They are most similar to the old 32mm FB Konig carbs.

Comment

Working...
                  X