Green tank Mercury J engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green tank Mercury J engine

Looking for a nicely restored Mercury green tank J Stock engine.

Originally posted by Heat1Racing View Post
    Looking for a nicely restored Mercury green tank J Stock engine.
    Also go to AOMCI… Antique Outboard Motor Club Inc…. aomci.com. There lots of old green tank Mercurys there. Also, give both Alan VanWeele 337-304-0379 or brother David VanWeele 386-295-3391 a call. Also, oldmercs.com. and eBay has them. And johnsoldmercurysite.com. There should be lots of them for sale. Good luck in your search. Let us know what you found.
    Last edited by DeanFHobart; 11-27-2021, 04:11 PM.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

call larry 864-4236342 or email, larryherman10m@hotmail.com

Comment

just to fill in my knowledge, what was the j engine prior to the 60j

Comment

The early 'Green Tank' J engine was the Mercury Super"5". The legal powerheads were Super"5", Mark5, Mark6, Mark6A and I believe their Wizard branded Western Auto cousins. The Super"5" had a miniature version of the KG-7 gearcase with 16:21 ratio. Super"5" was direct drive gearcase with impeller on the propshaft. The Mark5/6/6A had a slightly different gearcase with "Neutral & Forward" only clutch and the impeller on the driveshaft and I don't know if they raced with that gearcase but it was definitely harder to deal with than the Super"5"

I don't think oversize pistons were ever available for these engines and steering bars were commonly mounted to a "L" bracket bolted up to the waterjacket cover. Basically, other than a steering bar, carb throttle wire adapter and a racing propeller to fit the splined shaft there was no physical difference between the fishing and racing J engines back in the day of sJ-Stock outboard racing.
          Last edited by 25xs; 12-02-2021, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Photos???

Comment

• Dew1us
              Dew1us commented
              Editing a comment
              Craig Bowman has some posted on Facebook when he raced J and they started with the 5's and 6's

• bh/
              bh/ commented
              Editing a comment
              I raced locally in the mid '50s with a Mark 5 on a AU with Michigan race prop, but came to know later that the gear ratio between the KF-5 and Mark 5/6 was 2 tooth different, ie; 16:21 vs ???. Not sure which one was the 16:21, or which one was better , or what my Michigan prop was intended for ?
              (bh/)

Originally posted by runabout333 View Post
            Photos???

Not sure who you're asking for photos, but here's one of me around 2002 running my Super"5" on Greg McCreery's Swift Atomic "A" boat. Location was Greg's house on Lake SInclair in Central Georgia. My all aluminum steering bar came from Green Tank J expert, Mike Downing in Washington State (RIP Mike) and was one he & his father used to set several (still standing?) APBA J kilo records. Pretty much anything I know about the Super"5" engine for racing I learned from Greg & Mike... Swift Atomic - Super5.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by 25xs View Post
              Not sure who you're asking for photos, but here's one of me around 2002 running my Super"5" on Greg McCreery's Swift Atomic "A" boat. Location was Greg's house on Lake SInclair in Central Georgia. My all aluminum steering bar came from Green Tank J expert, Mike Downing in Washington State (RIP Mike) and was one he & his father used to set several (still standing?) APBA J kilo records. Pretty much anything I know about the Super"5" engine for racing I learned from Greg & Mike... Swift Atomic - Super5.JPG
              Wow, very cool picture. Mike Downing and his family have been friends of mine since 1962. And yes RIP Mike. And he was the Green Tank Mercury expert… All of the Green Tankers. Thanks for sharing.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

-this JU was seen @Constantine , c 2000?, KF-5 ? Stu Mills & son, Windsor, ON. (bh/) JU C'T kf5.jpg .jpg
                Last edited by bh/; 12-08-2021, 06:21 PM.
                Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Originally posted by runabout333 View Post
                  Photos???
                  The KF5 and Mark 5 I believe had the 16/21 ratio, the Mark 6 was 14/?. The Mark 6 was spiral bevel gears, not very strong.

Comment

• bh/
                    bh/ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do not recall seeing the Mark 6 used much in JU, so the different ratio may not have been better for the JU,
                    or possibly no one made a prop to take advantage of it, and then the J60 arrived.

If the Mark 6 was used it usually got run with the 16/21 gear ratio

Comment

What was the gear ratio of the 60J? 16:21?
                    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                    X