Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NE Racers ID this Boat

Hi folks,
    Found this boat up in New Brunswick, gentlemen who has it said he purchase it at a race in New Hampshire from someone who was working as the tech inspector for the race. Couldn’t remember the year but let’s say between 5-10 years ago.
    Just looking for info on the boat, it has a Yamato 202 hanging of the back that was purchased as part of the deal.

Giles boat...more than 5-10 years old.. From the style of the cowl and cockpit about 25+ years old. Giles in the 90's changed the nose of his boats
    sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Wow, didn’t figure it would be that old. I won’t see it in person for another few weeks. He never did guess at the age, but thought he bought it 7-8 years ago.

Comment

• DiGia54D
        DiGia54D commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't worry about the age.. stock and Mod have quite a few older rigs that run real well. Who ever had this boat the past decade kept it in great shape. I wish I had kept my 2 Giles boats.

That is a great find. Bill Giles was a classic, great boat racer, and he always built his own boats and many more for other people... and most of all he was the nicest person you would ever meet.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll 2nd that nicest-person comment.

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
      nicest person you would ever meet.
      I must say that looking out from the periphery of the sport there seems to be a lot of people who can be described as such.

I only mention this because I have spent the last decade messing with turbocharging cars and trucks, and my teen years messing with snowmobiles and motorcycles its really refreshing to stumble upon motorsports communities where people want to help their competitors, share knowledge, and see their sport grow. Unfortunately I can't say I have found that to be the case in some of the motorsports circles I have found myself wander in and out of over the years.

Comment

• DiGia54D
        DiGia54D commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully next season you can get to one of the Maine races. Group of real good people that love helping racers get on the water.

Originally posted by Albert View Post

I must say that looking out from the periphery of the sport there seems to be a lot of people who can be described as such.

I only mention this because I have spent the last decade messing with turbocharging cars and trucks, and my teen years messing with snowmobiles and motorcycles its really refreshing to stumble upon motorsports communities where people want to help their competitors, share knowledge, and see their sport grow. Unfortunately I can't say I have found that to be the case in some of the motorsports circles I have found myself wander in and out of over the years.
      Yes... boat racers are a special group of motor sports people... our boat racing family go out of there way to help each other...Except on the race course!!! I have also experienced other motor sports ..... they seem to be more ‘cutthroat’. That’s why I have been doing this since 1962.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I may be wrong on this, but my first thought was that may have been Annette Weber's 25 hydro, I think 88D was her brother Sean's number, but to be honest they may have just had it that way because I really can't think of another number to associate with it. They were from CT and there dad, Wendall Weber ran DSH back in the day.

Comment

Boat is actually 83D, lost a lot of photo quality in the upload.

Comment

• modracer7b
            modracer7b commented
            Editing a comment
            I see that now, I lost a lot of eye quality to the aging process. Off hand, I can't associate anyone to that number. I have been away from the sport for a long time now, but someone in the New England area should remember that number.

If it is 83-B, (looks like his paint scheme) then it was the late Steve Morris, he ran 20 & C for many years with Bob Goller which would make sense if you got it from an Inspector. Billy may be right and the Weber's picked it up from Steve though....
          444-B now 4-F
          Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

The boat was owned by Rick or Rich Something? He was from Connecticut and teamed with Steve Morris 1988 - 1989, thus the reason for the duplicate paint scheme. He ran exclusively in Region 1 those two seasons so it was not run much and was in good shape. I looked at the boat when it was for sale and for some reason that was one i did not buy! I will find his name and original hometown.

Comment

• Howie Nichols
              Howie Nichols commented
              Editing a comment
              Perhaps Rich Munson?

• Tony Tello
              Tony Tello commented
              Editing a comment
              Steven, You are right on top of things ! I would bet your right. I remember Bob Goller painting that boat in his shop. The driver lived in western Mass.

Not Rich Munson. I’ll keep checking.

Comment

I would reach out to Billy Allen. Since it is a 20/C boat he would be the best resorce in NE.

Comment

Originally posted by STAR31 View Post
                The boat was owned by Rick or Rich Something? He was from Connecticut and teamed with Steve Morris 1988 - 1989, thus the reason for the duplicate paint scheme. He ran exclusively in Region 1 those two seasons so it was not run much and was in good shape. I looked at the boat when it was for sale and for some reason that was one i did not buy! I will find his name and original hometown.

Rick was his name... Morris had the Bezoat and Rick had the Giles..... Green had the flyer
                sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

• STAR31
                  STAR31 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s correct Wayne

• DiGia54D
                  DiGia54D commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gonyea doesn't remember either. I showed him the photo.. We sure had a lot of boats in Reg 1 in those days. Great times and memories.
              Working...
              X