25SS or B Hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25SS or B Hydro

For Sale: 25SS or B Hydro - Hedlund Design. Mahogany and teak, new finish, all hardware included. Very fast. $800.00 or best offer. 231-943-7007 - leave message. Located in Traverse City.

Send me a picture of the boat. Thanks
    nbaum@heat1racing.com

Comment

who didn't have a Hedlund 18622145_1345435218845613_4018005519022643700_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by john527 View Post
        who didn't have a Hedlund [ATTACH=CONFIG]n470548[/ATTACH]
        Anyone who didn’t win!!!
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          When did Hudlunds come out? I didn't have one and managed 1975 25ssh Region 5 Hi Points with a Kelly Wetback. Lots of top 25ssh drivers in the field.

The first Hedlunds I saw were at the 1964 SO Nationals in Modesto California. So they must have been used earlier that season.... They were used both in A and B Stock Hydro driven by Gerry Waldman and Bob Hering.... They had both drivers in both classes. Then the same for the 1965 SO Nationals in Beaver Falls Pennsylvania. They really started dominating in 1966 at the SO Nationals in Prineville Oregon. By 1968 at the SO Nationals in Seattle Washington at Green Lake, Hedlunds took the 3 or 5 top spots in both A and B Stock Hydro. I got my first Hedlund after the 1968 Nationals..

To ZUL8TR..... Great job in 1975 with your 25SS High Point win.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          Dean

Thanks. It was not easy since only my 3rd year in a 20 year old design home made hydro against racers in new boats with lots of years behind them like: Jeff Hutchins in a Craig Craft, Fred Townsend, Bunky Bowerman, Chuck Bentz, David Rawson, Marshall Eldridge Jr. etc., plus 25ssh was a huge class with eliminations most weekends especially the Grapefruit Circuit. Unfortunately I was not able to get to the Nationals due to full time engineering schedule, would have liked to run there. Great times with lots of great people helping me, glad I was part of it. Special thanks to Harry Pinner RIP, Marshall Eldridge Jr RIP and Mark Haupter.

Pete

Pete,

What is your last name? I was able to go to the Dayton SO Nationals in 1975... I ran ASH in those days.... 10 elimination races of ASH.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          Sushinsky.

Wow! 10 elims in ASH. How many if you recall in 25SSH,
          I raced APBA Region 5 from 73 - late 79 in 25SSH and 20SSH when it started in 78.

Thanks. I don’t know for sure how many 25SS Hydros... But since you could buy a new motor from Mercury it was a very popular class... My educated guess would be 40 - 50 ish. There were over 1000 entries then. It took over 1 hour to walk the length of the pits. I was lucky to get 3rd overall in ASH... against the likes of Jeff Hutchins and Andy Hanson.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep bought my 25ss new from Dick O'Dea in 73, Harry Pinner made the props and Harry and Marshall Eldridge Jr educated me on what to do for set up, best race techniques and legal to do internals. And lots of testing

hedlund1974.jpg
        probably 1975, didn't get out much after 1977 but ran this until 20H written off in 1988

Comment

What made Hedlunds so fast?

Comment

• pav225
            pav225 commented
            Editing a comment
            They were from Illinois!

Originally posted by dholt View Post
          What made Hedlunds so fast?
          they were built like the aerofoil of an airplane wing( clark Y) most of us ran flat to kicked out 1/8 inch and the boat held perfect unlike most of the flat deck designs of today, which in turn make you run kicked under to keep from blowing over, kind of like holding a sheet of plywood in the wind download.png

Comment

Didn't Hudland's have a S shaped bottom? One I saw at a boat show at Tavares Fla. had the S bottom but not sure if original? Some Hal Kelly hydros had the S bottom like Jupiter and Ben Hur and they were 50's, 60's designs
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Yup. A friend explained it to me using Jim Hall's Chaperall ( actually aero done in Detroit by GM ) nose. The car's nose swooped down to load the front tires aerodynamically. The Hedlund hook was opposite and picked the nose up wuth aero.

Comment

Working...
              X