75HP Johnson Stinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75HP Johnson Stinger

Does anyone know what a Johnson 75hp Stinger is worth?

I've located a complete engine, not sure what year, it appears to never have been apart, is a fresh water motor and was last run approximately three years ago.

Thanks

Stinger

...the powerheads are not worth as much as the bottom halfs here on the St.Lawrence .The 3 cyl omc is a venerable fishing/pleasure boat/workboat motor.$300.would be about right for a decent powerhead...$A complete running motor should be $800 to $1000.The biggest difference in the regular 3cyl and the"stinger" is the smaller wrist pin and lighter rods in the stinger...also known as the "hustler" in the Evinrude version.I have several times been warned about building an FE motor based on the stinger components as it will not stay together as well as the standard version...so say the experts. Most of my powerheads come free as basket cases from local marinas.Having said all this,let me know if you pass on the motor in question...I would be interested.I have new pistons,rods,etc for the stinger and ,hand grenade or not,I want one to try. Hunter Grimes

Comment

WHERE IS THE hp DIFF.?

Three in a row was made from 55-75 hp., where did the diff. come from?
      Richard
      RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

stinger...

I do not wish to pose as to being knowledgable about these things,but near as I can tell the 3cyl is a pretty efficient design as stock.Getting more out of it with mods is limited by standard piston design.Apparentlymore revs were available by using lighter rods and having the wrist pin closer to the top of the piston.More evidence of this...3cyl guru,Lisle Mason once told me he made his own pistons.A comparison would be quite telling.Anyway,I suspect OMC did the stinger/hustler thing to try to change their sluggish reputation when stacked up against the mercs.Ed Runne would likely be the appropriate expert to ask about all this as he worked at OMC for years and knows whatever there is to know about their motors

Comment

i have a stinger 75 for my feh. is it worth me trying this motor? i grenaded a hot rod at loch haven dont want a repete in 2006. need imfo! 280-p

Comment

to thunderracing

All I can tell you is I have been warned repeatedly that they will not stay together so well.Rods and pistons are very pricey from OMC,if you can find them.Wrist pins and those bearings are not same size as regular 3 cyl. so you could get hurt there too.The "regular" 3cyl. is almost bullet proof if you don't get too carried away inside it.Pistons readily available,etc and accelerationwill be as good as the stinger.On our typical courses that will serve you better than a top end which approaches the lift off speed of a lot of jets. Having said all that,if you have one ,why not try it ??I want one...but then I have 2 or 3 back up powerheads pretty much ready to go.Wanna do a trade?? Hope to see you on the way to the first turn. Hunter Grimes

Comment

hunter. thanks for the imfo. thiss will be my first year running feh . so i dont care how fast i go. want to learn my boat. i might do trade. what do u got? give me a buzz. 610-760-2602 after 6;00 pm ET thanks. chuck. 280-p

Comment

thunderracer

...my email is diverse@northnet.org It is easier to get me that way.I am not around phone much. To get another boat in the FEH club,I'll help you all I can.I had the best help me get started.And I have learned quite a bit by doing things wrong and/or the hard way. Let me know what you need.What do you have for a boat ?? H.Grimes

Comment

thanks hunter. not much time tonight. but i will e-mail you tomorow night with imfo. i have a laydoun hydro and complete powerhead [75 stinger]. got boat from george luce. in the midle of redoing. ground up. need lots of stuff. chuck 280-p

Comment

feh

Hunter; -we need more rigs in FEH, the boats and motors are easy, just the drivers are a bit scarce. I may be dramatising it a bit, [I got the Madison DVD for xmas] but the guys I see driving FEH resemble the unlimited hydro drivers of the 60s. It is not for the faint hearted, or inexperienced. Looking forward to seeing you run in Pineville, although it is probably a shorter drive from NY, than central FL
                    Best of luck in '06.
                    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

I have a 75hp Stinger here now and a 65hp Stinger2 (whatever that is! ) that will be here in March. I'll take pictures of everything when I take them apart so we can all see what's really inside of these motors.

So far the only thing I know for sure about them (other than they are orange and heavy) is that the 75hp Stinger carbs are a little different than the regular fishing motor carbs. They don't have that "thing" (don't have a clue what it is) coming down from the top of the carb to the main jet..... (b/h maybe you can help me out here and explain what I'm talking about?) They aren't even the "big" (1.5") carbs!

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

My name is Fran Johnson. I am really interested in running feh. I use to race 250 hydro but had to get out of it because I didn't have the time for travel.
                        anyway I have still have the boat and about six powerheads and most of the parts to build atleast teo motors. I'm realy looking forward to getting in the class and meeting peaple.

Comment

what kind of parts do you have? lower units? building feh for 2006 280-p

Comment

I work at a marina in upstate NY. So I have a few older powerheads and alot of oem parts that can be used such as cranks, rods, carbs, ignitions of many types, and more. As for the midsection I will make my own. I will have to purchase a lower unit. I would like to go with a bass.

Comment

To Fran Johnson

...you have come to the right place !There are several of us who will give you more help than you might want to get you going in FEH...a class that redefines the fun of boat racing in a pretty special way.Perhaps "fun" is a poor choice of words. Anyway,I am not far from you up here on the St.Lawrence and will happily pass along all the right things I learned from people who know what they are doing and all the wrong things I did on my own. Please contact me...diverse@northnet.org Hunter Grimes

Comment

Working...
                              X