prop pitch gage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop pitch gage

does anybody have a prop pitch Gage to sell ? or does anybody knows who sells them ?

Try Ron Hill. Here he shows the app of a pitch gage he offered back in 2010. At a set radius it measures pitch between the little feet on the blade,then can move up and down the blade to measure the change in pitch at that radius. Accurate enough to compare different props on a relative basis. He may still have some to sell? They are simple enough to make if you are crafty. I have one that uses a needle pointer angle gage to measure the prop slope. You can also use a digital angle gage on the prop. Prop blade slope angle converted to pitch is easy.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...by-Hill-Marine
    Last edited by ZUL8TR; 03-07-2015, 06:14 AM.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• chicks
      chicks commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the info

• rumleyfips
      rumleyfips commented
      Editing a comment
      Chick:
      I saw a thread where Brian Hendrick said he used a carpenters framing square to set the scale on his pitch guage. I can't find it right now but Brian might tell you how he did it.
      When Craig Dewald started propwork ( after a week with Ron France ) in the 70's he also sold pitch gauges.

John Adams also makes/sells pitch gage - I'll send you his phone # and email via PM.

Comment

Send it to me too, Shane. Thanks.

Comment

• Shane_B
      Shane_B commented
      Editing a comment
      Sent you PM with info...

,instead of using one of them just get your best prop and gauge from that for your boat,just like everyone tells me you cant buy a fast prop you need to test,test test. I have one and it never made a difference for me..

Comment

• Shane_B
      Shane_B commented
      Editing a comment
      lots of variables towards prop performance besides pitch - rake, surface area, shape, etc. alongside rpm and water densitiy - and those variables change with each hull... makes it interesting to analyze to say the least.

Found it : Google WTB pitch guage at Hydroracer and the info about using a framing square magically appears. Silly me ; I already knew that from cutting roof rafters. 12 inches of pitch is a 45 degree angle. I just didn't make the connection.

You could also try Runquist for a guage.

Comment

• bh/
      bh/ commented
      Editing a comment
      Dear Mr. Fips; -yes, they said a man 'that knew the square' could calculate his mortgage, frame his barn, and navigate the world. I once claimed I could tell time with my slide rule .

• rumleyfips
      rumleyfips commented
      Editing a comment
      The good old days Brian, when engineering students whipped out their sliderules at the slightest provocation. I learned never to drop my hat.

Originally posted by chicks View Post
    does anybody have a prop pitch Gage to sell ? or does anybody knows who sells them ?
    Hi guys, I have a pitch gage that I sell. I will have a new run of them available in May. My component vendor moved his shop thus the delay. Contact me at johnrv7@gmail.com for details. John Adams

Comment

Working...
    X