ax and a class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ax and a class

I am looking to buy a Johnson or Evinrude to run next year . I am looking on line but do not know what the right motor would be. What I mean is what specs or models should I be looking for
    Last edited by charlieblackwoodt47; 12-03-2014, 03:44 AM.

In the AX or ASH classes you would be looking for a 15hp OMC evenrude or Johnson. You can also run a 15hp Mercury or the always fast sidewinder (not for AX though). With the OMC motors being out of production they will be your cheapest. APBA has a few new 15hp Mercury's for sale and those are very competitive in the AX and Junior classes. All 2 strokes of course. Good luck with your search. I see you're in Florida, I would contact Howie Nichols. He lives in Florida and could be a great resource. He is on the forums here on HR.
    Kyle Bahl
    20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

So no particular model number for the Johnsons or evinrudes . Thanks . What about the foot can I use the one from the y80 or a merc foot

Comment

• Racerkyle20
        Racerkyle20 commented
        Editing a comment
        The gearcase to a OMC is for OMC only. Using a Yamato80 or merc will not work mechanically or legally. Original OMC fishing gear cases don't work either. You need a racing profiled gearcase. Tom Cronk in Florida can work with you on these if the OMC you buy does not come with one.

No particular serial number that I know of.

Here is a link to the APBA Stock technical manual for more info: http://www.apba.org/sites/all/files/...%202-15-14.pdf
        Last edited by Racerkyle20; 12-04-2014, 05:29 AM.

• mercguy
        mercguy commented
        Editing a comment
        the donor (fishing motor) to look for for the OMC 15 is the 1986-1992 motors (CD, CU,CC,CE, ES,EI, EN models), but you would still have to buy the throttle hook up conversion kit (very hard to find) and still buy a racing gearcase for it (from Racing Outboards, also same as the one used on the Merc 15 racing motor). It will be much cheaper for you to buy a used OMC 15 racing motor from someone....

There is a OMC 15 for sale for $1500 posted on this site. You can't put the pieces together for cheaper than that.
      Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

If you want the opportunity to run up front in "AX" buy a Mercury 15 HP with the racing lower unit and have it blueprinted by Stillwell. In "A" buy a Sidewinder (no blueprinting needed) for the same reason. If you just want to run for the fun of it and help fill out the field or maybe place in the top 3 if something happens to the Merc's or Sidewinder's in the race get an OMC it would be less costly. Or buy a used OMC "A" and run 200ccMod that's what some of us are doing.

Comment

I have an OMC for sale. It is tentatively sold but if the sale doesn't go through I can let you know if you wish. It is a good motor that was built by Dan Schwartz. Can be seen in the retirement sale thread.
          kk

Comment

I have an OMC for sale right now just freshly rebuilt by Ron France last winter, has less then 3 weekends of racing on it.

Comment

Charlie as we talked about before you have 3 choices. Depending on finances and what you want to do. OMC will get you in the cheapest as you have seen. You know both Gary Pond and I also have OMC's we will work with you on. Good luck making the choice that is best for you!
              444-B now 4-F
              Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Working...
              X