Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unique D Hydroplane w/ 30hp Yamaha - Elec. Start, Neutral, Reverse, Rack and Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique D Hydroplane w/ 30hp Yamaha - Elec. Start, Neutral, Reverse, Rack and Pinion

Even with my non-standard approach you guys helped a ton (even if mostly from the search!) with getting this build done. Hoping to find a good home for this cool custom boat with someone who can appreciate it! I'd have a hard time selling this to someone who wasn't going to treat it with respect. At the same time it is not a class racer anymore so hopefully I'm not offending anyone by offering it for sale here.

Boat is located in Portland, OR.

I bought this boat eight years ago from the builder's son who said he raced it in the 60's. I wanted a super unique and fast recreational boat. With that in mind I had a custom aluminum transom built to accommodate a Yamaha 30hp oil injected short shaft outboard. This allowed neutral, electric start, reverse and rack and pinion steering. All convenience and safety features you obviously don't find on these boats in race configuration. The stainless steel prop is custom from Ron Hill Marine. I have the motor sitting a few inches lower than ideal for speed. It still hits 45 MPH on GPS and am told is good for at least 60 MPH with a low water pickup and bringing the motor up a bit. It is surprisingly comfortable to drive and very confidence inspiring. All seams on the boat and potential spots for water intrusion were sealed with 2-part epoxy before prep and paint with the best quality marine paint, Pettit EZPoxy, to prevent water damage to the beautiful hardwood construction. This boat turns every head on the water or on the trailer. Will safely float two people total weight around 350 lbs at a standstill. You'd be hard pressed to find a cooler water toy. Includes trailer with LED lights, fresh wheel bearings and bearing buddies.

$2450

Contact Tom at 5O3-7O5-8239 or E-mail hi0npsi@hotmail.com. I will do my best to check the forum as well. Thanks!

Last edited by hi0npsi; 06-26-2014, 08:40 AM.

This looks very much like a Butts Aerowing or a Yale. Probably raced in the early 70's. Had one myself and it never ceased to amaze me with the speed and stable ride. Looks good, my friend...........

Comment

Quite cool!

But I doubt whether the boat was ever "raced in the '60s" because Tim Butts never introduced us to pickle-fork hydros until about 1972. Looks more like a Yale than a Butts. I drove (and destroyed) a 12' Butts in 250 & 350 ccH during the early '80s.

Does it have a little about 16" wide tunnel bottom in back, extending about 3' forward b4 blending into the rest of the bottom? John Yale pioneered that design. My Butts didn't have that ... don't know whether Tim ever built any boats with such a tunnel.

Comment

Thanks for the information and kind words guys! It does have the tunnel bottom you're describing dwhitford so it must be a Yale.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by dwhitford View Post
          Quite cool!

But I doubt whether the boat was ever "raced in the '60s" because Tim Butts never introduced us to pickle-fork hydros until about 1972. Looks more like a Yale than a Butts. I drove (and destroyed) a 12' Butts in 250 & 350 ccH during the early '80s.

Does it have a little about 16" wide tunnel bottom in back, extending about 3' forward b4 blending into the rest of the bottom? John Yale pioneered that design. My Butts didn't have that ... don't know whether Tim ever built any boats with such a tunnel.

what it sounds like you are referring to is called a 4 point hydro when the tunnel is introduced it becomes a 4 point boat design rather than a 3 point style bottom as most stock hydro s are as a kid I remember Lowery ( Charlie) i think was first name, made a hydro that had the 4 point tunnel along about 67 or 1968 approximately, it was a great rough water hydro and I believe he may have won a national title in Am pro N.O.A days
          just a Fyi fact from the 60s :,)

someday maybe I can make more races till then I am just happy to have 1 in my garage

By The Way really cool lake racer you have there!!

do you ever have any DNR guys question the coast guard. approval rating ?

gl hf
          Randy
          Pure of heart : Outlaw by nature

"choice not chance determines destiny"

"the race is never quite over , the course is never quite ours"

how many years must a man pay for mistakes he did not make?

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...221#post107221

Comment

Originally posted by RandY Aveline View Post

what it sounds like you are referring to is called a 4 point hydro when the tunnel is introduced it becomes a 4 point boat design rather than a 3 point style bottom as most stock hydro s are as a kid I remember Lowery ( Charlie) i think was first name, made a hydro that had the 4 point tunnel along about 67 or 1968 approximately, it was a great rough water hydro and I believe he may have won a national title in Am pro N.O.A days
            just a Fyi fact from the 60s :,)

Randy

Don't want to hijack this thread but I can clarify this Randy. It was Andy Lowrey who started building tunnels unto the bottom of the hydros and it was about 1970. Bob and Dave Lowrey won multiple NOA and AOF championships with those boats. I have some of the trophies and plaques as keepsakes. ( Randy I sent you a PM as well)

And Tom....nice boat. It takes a lot of work to make your kind of 'out-of-the-box' thinking become a reality. Great job!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

N.P I dont mind the Corrections as I knew it was a lowrey just not sure of first name or date I knew I was in the ball park but that's about it :<) thanks for the update
              Randy

here is a link of a little bit of Randy s racing history and a tribute to the late Ken Krier to learn more click the link

Comment

I believe its a Yale. Does the nose between airtraps have a concave underneath? A pal has one & yours is too similar to not be one I'd think. Nice work, Ive done a bit of stock motor /hydro play as well & it isn't easy to get one going well even with the motor its made for.
                Team Tower

Comment

This rig is also for sale on EBAY.. Found it today.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonm50 View Post
                    I believe its a Yale. Does the nose between airtraps have a concave underneath? A pal has one & yours is too similar to not be one I'd think. Nice work, Ive done a bit of stock motor /hydro play as well & it isn't easy to get one going well even with the motor its made for.
                    agreed I think it looks like a Yale as well !!

Comment

Hey guys. As an update I've sold the outboard and controls locally. Would like the boat to go to someone who will build/race it. I will sell the boat and trailer for $350. Find her a good home!

Comment

Working...
                      X