Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistons

Doing a bit of homework I found that APBA allows the pistons to be from one to three rings. The idea I am bringing forward is to keep as many folks running as possible without breaking the bank.

Art, I have sent a proposal to Jeff at his request so that we can get the process started. Weather we have 2 or 3 rings really has no bearing on the engine performance because we effectively run 2 ring pistons now with a dead ring in the third grove. If folks have engines that can be brought back to life and they show up at our races we all benefit. Thanks for the encouragement.

Alan
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Art K View Post
      Alan,your plan for replacement pistons for the 40ci merc has merit. But under the current rules would not be legal. I think you should present your plan at the Nat meeting to see if you can make the change. It would require a vote of the Tech committee. If passed their it goes to the general meeting. If passed their it goes on the ballot. Not an easy process since you are going to have to secure the votes of the Tohatsu drivers to get it passed.. I think I would put on hold on any plans until then.
      Art K Tech VP
      You may find this hard to believe but I counted up the people that ran the Merc and the people that ran the Tohatsu and there was more Mercury's than Tohatsu. So if you are going to have a Merc Tohatsu vote I think it will pass easy. We made the after market Tohatsu pistons legal so I can't see any problem doing the same for Mercury.

Larry Mcafee

Comment

Wiseco Pistons

We are making progress on making new B/D pistons for the Mercs. Wiseco has appointed Aeroliner Boats LLC as one of there distributors and will be sending an engineering drawing on the piston for approval. Once that has been completed and approved it will take them 8 weeks to complete the first run of 100 pistons which will be complete with rings, clips and pin. The pistons will also feature a coating to help prevent ring sticking. If folks are interested in getting pistons from us I would help to know how many might be needed so we can order the correct amount and not run out as soon as they arrive.

Once the engineering drawing is approved we will get the pricing info on the items. The .020 and .040 oversize's will be the same price from my conversation today.

Alan

Comment

40 c.i. pistons

Good old FYI. As Larry said rule was passed to make up to .070 oversize but NO interest other than Ralph Cook was found. Also as Larry said, you can get a .070 oversize out of a 44 piston. This is true but skirts are so thin. The Wiseco casting for the 44 would allow a .070 oversize piston to be manufactured (with a small wrist pin hole). Wiseco doesn't have a casting to supply the Merc. 40 with oversize pistons of 15, 30 or 40 oversize.
          Some years ago I took the liberty to get some prototypes made with ARIES piston Co. One was presented to AOF for approval at National meeting and one was sent to Dick Engler at APBA for approval as well. AOF said no and Dick died before presenting piston at meeting.
          Dave Scotts 44 pistons(small wrist pin only) would meet the specs. for the NBRA oversize piston except for the rings. (not correct thickness or correct number). Will still consider helping any way I can, but will not have 80 to 100 on my shelf waiting on sales. Been there-done that.
          Hope this helps. Good luck Phil

Comment

Working...
          X