FS Yamato 80 Prestine Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS Yamato 80 Prestine Condition

UPDATED PRICE 4/22. Thanks to all those that commented below regarding the engine being overpriced. I have no knowledge of the marketplace, and priced it in line with the only other Yamato 80 I found available on line, I am now $1000 under that find here:

http://www.yamatoracing.net/classified.php

Yamato 80 Racing Engine, extremely low hours, like maybe 6 (Seriously) Has been in the family Lake house garage attic for over 30 years. Here's the story.

This motor came home with a SaberJet Fiberglass Bathtub tunnel in 1977. It was a toy my boat racing father (Hallett Ski Race Boats) bought for us to use up at the Lake house. It was used two or three times that Summer until a bunch of Dads friends put it in the water without the plugs in the hull which it filled up with water and wouldn't plane out, they drove it back too the launch ramp and lifted it out of the water. Given the thin fiberglass of the racing hull, it couldn't hold the weight of the water in it and the bottom broke in several places. Eventually the hull went away 'to get fixed' the motor went into the attic. The hull never came back and the motor sat it the attic where it was placed for some thirty years.

I collected it when removing all my possessions from said attic prior to the Lake house being sold. I've cleaned it up and checked the spark. It's very strong.

I can crate and ship on your dime.

$1500 or best reasonable offer. You can reach me at robbymyer@gmail.com.

http://s488.photobucket.com/user/rob...tSide.jpg.html

http://s488.photobucket.com/user/rob...tSide.jpg.html

http://s488.photobucket.com/user/rob...Front.jpg.html

http://s488.photobucket.com/user/rob.../Rear.jpg.html
    Last edited by Myerfire48; 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM. Reason: Lowered price.

I should probably also add that the motor was never swamped, it ran to the ramp that fateful day, is bone stock and has never been apart in any way shape or form. I think even the spark plugs are original. The red carburetor cover is MIA. Not sure what happened to that, but it does have the original gas cap and a two blade brass prop.
    Thanks again!

Comment

So you dont get left out in the cold-- Ill give you my honest reply. I think you are attached to the memories this engine has left you , at that rate its priceless.. But if you want to race it , you would have to have the prop shaft changed, have the foot profiled ,and have the top end massaged .A stock 80 should bring $ 800-1000. a race ready ( good) $1400-1600 . good luck.

Comment

Thanks Jack! I appreciate the feedback and you're probably right on the money. I'm sure it's worth way more to the memories and in the end maybe I'll end up keeping it and build a boat instead, who knows.

I understand this is a less desirable engine than newer equipment may be but that new stuff is north of $4K, this is an unmolested starting point that someone can get for far less and know that they aren't buying something that has been raced and may be on its last leg.

Besides its been sitting for so long, I'm in no hurry now anyway. If someone wants it I'm open to discussion, if not maybe someone has a 20SSH taking up room in the shop they need gone more than I need to sell this motor...

Anyway, thanks for the input. I do appreciate it. And again, open to offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Myerfire48 View Post
          I understand this is a less desirable engine than newer equipment may be but that new stuff is north of $4K,
          We paid $450.00 for a 80 in this same time period as your.

Comment

Way over priced

Comment

Way, Way over priced, when you can get a 302 for about the same price. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will be lucky to get $1000 for it. and that is if you had everything converted over to USA racing specs. The motor will need much more racing history of being a champ for the price to even come to a grand.

Comment

OK fellas, you've beaten me into submission, I have lowered the price to the point I will accept no lower. I'll keep it for less. It's advertised locally on CL for $1700.

I'm surprised to learn boat racers consider others *proven* equipment more valuable than an unmolested example of the same engine.

This engine is BONE STOCK as it shipped from Japan, with no molestation good or bad.

Comment

Y80

OK fellas, you've beaten me into submission, I have lowered the price to the point I will accept no lower. I'll keep it for less. It's advertised locally on CL for $1700.

I'm surprised to learn boat racers consider others *proven* equipment more valuable than an unmolested example of the same engine.

This engine is BONE STOCK as it shipped from Japan, with no molestation good or bad.
                  Still too much, just use it and have fun
                  "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                  No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I just bought one in the exact same condition off CL. The guy was asking 600.00 I got it for 500.00

Comment

Y80

Originally posted by joejohn44 View Post
                      I just bought one in the exact same condition off CL. The guy was asking 600.00 I got it for 500.00
                      Good buy
                      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I've been informed this motor would require $1000 in modifications to be competitive and that proven competitive examples can be had for less than $1000, resulting in this motor being in fact, worthless.

So it appears that I will either scrap it or build a boat.

Thanks for all your feedback at the very least this thread can serve as an example of the value of the Yamato 80.

Worthless...

Comment

Thanks for all your feedback at the very least this thread can serve as an example of the value of the Yamato 80.

Worthless...
                          With all do respect, the worth of your Y80 is.....priceless! Think of all the great memories it helped you make, even these many years later, it still brings a smile to your face!

Best advice: either build a boat or buy a boat, you won't regret it!
                          http://vitalire.com/

Comment

The value of a Yamato 80 is worthless? Ahhhhhh, crap!

Comment

I would think you would be able to get a boat for next to nothing as long as you race it.
                              I would sell you a boat for the price of used hardware as long as you raced it ( in the nortwest )

Comment

Working...
                              X