Yamato 202?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato 202?

My brother in law saw a Yamato 202 for sale for 895. Is there a 202? and is it legal to race? Also, does that price sound okay? I have been out of racing for a few years and don't know the answers. Any help will be great. Thanks

Mike

There were two different version of the Yamato 202. They can be both raced in the osy400 class. Not sure about the CMH class, but you might be able to use it there as well. The early versions had the longer tower - same as the 102. It was then shorted up to the current 302 tower height. The powerhead is the same as the 302, but has the ignition of the 102. I imagine the coils, points, etc would be hard to get - same as the 102. The price seems to be reasonable so long as its all working. If its a bone stock motor you will need to have some work done to it to make it competetive - shaping the gearfoot, CC the head to min cc's....

PS - if its the later model 202 you can buy a 302 ignition and you have a Y302
    Sean Byrne

Comment

Thanks, that helps alot.

Mike

Comment

Legal

It is legal in the NBRA. But in APBA only in Pro OSY class, indeed.

The price sounds fantastic, so if you are in need, and the engine is in any decent shape.... pull the trigger.

I have seen housings go on this site for $75.00, so if you wanted the shorter tower, no problem, wait for one to be posted. Ignition, just order from TJ or Montoya. I have no clue how much those are. But brand new 302's go for around 2K and then you have to put some extra money into blueprinting and what not. (brand new meaning from Montoya)
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

202 power head

The 202 power head is not the same as a 302.Crank and case is the
          same as a 102.Block is only for 202.Need to check with a Yamato
          dealer for more information.
          Tom
          ( I had 3 0f them )

Comment

someone was selling a "302" here a while back, saying it was a late model 202, but that the late model 202 was the same as a 302 with older ignition, so by changing the ignition to a 302 it was essentially indistinguishable from a 302.
            Silas Jordan
            Windham, Maine
            CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
            Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cronk View Post
              The 202 power head is not the same as a 302.Crank and case is the
              same as a 102.Block is only for 202.Need to check with a Yamato
              dealer for more information.
              Tom
              ( I had 3 0f them )
              late model "short shaft" 202 is the same as a 302, just had the points (dual condenser) ignition...........just swap out the flywheel and mag with 302 parts and your done.........Guido did it!
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

202D is the long tower. 202E is the short tower. Hard to find either. Buy it fast at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by flagjumper View Post
                  My brother in law saw a Yamato 202 for sale for 895. Is there a 202? and is it legal to race? Also, does that price sound okay? I have been out of racing for a few years and don't know the answers. Any help will be great. Thanks

Mike
                  Mike,

Call me this weekend...I know of a great CSR rig for sale...I'll PM you some details.

Gootz

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                    late model "short shaft" 202 is the same as a 302, just had the points (dual condenser) ignition...........just swap out the flywheel and mag with 302 parts and your done.........Guido did it!
                    Ditto;
                    As Darren/Daren said (you decide) The the 202E is a early 302 powerhead (complete)/short tower with points.....The 202D is on a tall tower like the 102/Y-80 and has 302 cyls with (lighter?) 102 crank, flywheel, rods, and points mag......... this is the fast OSY-400 motor!

The 202E is APBA STOCK/MOD legal....the 202D is not...........................Arguments?

BUT, the 202D............ IS ................."THE"...OSY-400 UIM/APBA MOTOR!......Just hard to find regions that run the class.........?

Buy the motor either way.......it's CHEEP!

I have a 202D.................. (and $2K is my price!)
                    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM.
                    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                    X