Aeroliner (Speedliner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeroliner (Speedliner)

My brother and I bought the plans and patterns from Speedliner long about the summer of '65 for the A/B runabout. At that time we also bought one of the last A/B Speedliners directly from the factory. I drove straight through from NY to St Joe and back. Over the following six to seven years we built maybe a dozen boats for others under the name of Aeroliner.

We still have the the plans and patterns and we are build a couple of the boats for us the have some fun with. We still have our A/B engines. If anyone is interested we can make a few more for those how want a vintage boat. The last design was for a closed cockpit and used the red paint mixed in with the varnish.

We have not worked out the price as we are just now assembling our supply lines. Let me know if there is any intersest. I hope to see you on the water next spring, so do not run over a 63 year old racer that never grew up.

David Van Weele

Aeroliner - EORC

BLAST FROM THE PAST! It is really great to see that you guys are still involved (as opposed to e-volved) This internet stuff is really pulling the old community back together. Thanks HYDRO RACER! Come back to LINY one of these days and play in the brine with us. I'll put another Foo Ling together so us geriatrics can do bumper boats in another 50 mile marathon. Its really good to hear from you.
    Dave Young

Comment

Old Times

Hey Dave

I was up on the Island in August to bury my 94 year old Mom. We sure did have a great time in those days. Some of the best was when you and I would go out there and beat those big F rigs in our B's with the megaphone exhausts during the final race of the day.

Alan and I just getting back into the fun. We both work full time jobs, I failed retirement. We came across our old engines and parts recently and still having the plans for the boats we decided to build them again. We plan on using the same process we used on the last ones build which was to do everthing in a Jig. That way the all come out the same.

If you ever come to FL give me a shout. Email address is vanw5799@bellsouth.net

Dave van Weele
      Last edited by A/B Speedliner; 11-03-2004, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Nah, couldn't be the Alan I knew . . .

Time frame `55 to `57 thereabouts. Location: West Sayvile Marine Service, a Mercury dealer. I was the skinny blonde kid who worked there before it would now be legal, left the area in `58 at age 14. Alan had Mercury 20H and a Speedliner, all beautiful varnish. Alan sort of used the marine service as his home port when he raced B runabout on Long Island. I seem to recall the Air Force, like Alan got to that age and joined up or something. West Sayville, a Dutch town at the town - Van Wheele . . . Hmmm, could it be the same Alan? He'd be collecting Social Security by now.
        carpetbagger

Comment

Blast from the past.....

Dave..............Give me a call when you get a chance. (386) 423-5491

Comment

You got it right, Started in West Sayville

Alan is my borther, he and I are both in our mid 60's but are both working full time. I worked at the Dairy farm before West Sayville Marine moved into the barn. Alan and I use to race mainly on Long Island but we did some racing in New England and along the East Coast. Alan did enter the Air Force, then go to College went to work at Grumman Aircraft and is still there. He is head of their New Business Development Team. Current he lives in LA but works out of Melborne Florida. I live in Daytona Beach so he comes up for weekends and we build boats.

I worked for Edgewater Marine in Islip in my spare time. While Alan was away in the Air Force and before I went away to College in 1959 I put togehter the first 20H Conversion on Long Island. I had to drive to the factory to pick it up. We bought the plans and patterns for the Model 510 Speedliner in the mid sixties on another trip out west. Long Island to St Joe MO. in 3 days, in a Nash Rambler with the new boat on the roof. Only stoped once for an hours sleep in Indy. Those were the days, but then I look around and I still do not think we will ever grow up.

I will past your message to Alan, we still have our old wooden shoes.

David Van Weele

Comment

Got a pair of wooden shoes also.

I hope y`all post pictures of the Speedliner/Aeroliner when your finished. Of all the boats that went through the marina, I remember Alan's the best. I liked the lines and the flawlessly varnished wood. Downright pretty.

About the time Alan left fior the AF I sold my KG-7 to someone who bought it to race B runabout, and I replaced it with a Mark 25 which was a coral color rather than green. I believe that was the first year Merc made engines with different colors. Good times back then. I was such a water rat my dad wouldn't let me put running lights on my boat `cause he figured I'd never come home. Heh . . .

Bill Huson
              carpetbagger

Comment

EORC Long Island Reunion

Looks like Hydroracer is the cyberspace EORC reunion. Sure do miss
                the good old days running the courses of the Peconic and Great
                South bays. Before my computer, I kept in touch with Pete Hellsten
                and Jack Gosman by phone. Since Petes passing, finally got a computer
                and still keep in touch with Jack. Got to get my news somehow. The
                AZ Navy is out of business and a trip to the lakes is a bit of a difference
                in time than on L.I.

Good to hear what is going on.

Al Lang
                CU Later 30-N
                Now a desert rat geezer

Comment

Post Pictures

Dave,

Post some pictures when you're done...... or now if you have some.

Thanks,

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

My first boat

My first boat was a A B Speedliner with a KG 7. That was back in the early 50's. I bought it from a friend if mine named Will England, called himself Kid Britian. He did real well for himself in it back then in MI. Then he decided he had to have another boat. As I recall a Pabst or a Sid. Anyway I bought the Speedliner from him then. Wouldn't you know, he was running in a Championship race and the only boat that beat him was one just like the one he had sold to me. I raced some in MI. and once at a race in OH. before I sold the boat. Getting married makes you do crazy things. I sure wish I still owned it.
                    Last edited by BentRod; 12-15-2005, 12:10 PM.
                    Art Crawford 30F
                    Panama City Fl.

Comment

Old Days

I love reading about you guys remembering racing in the 50's. I ran in the Delaware River Yachtsmen's League in those days, before the clubs were APBA. (long shaft Quicky on a Champion A Utility kit boat). My uncle towed my boat to the races behind his 28 ft. Chris Craft. The races were part of the Sunday clam bakes and were promoted by Hank Bowman (Graig"s and Shannon's father). Hank also promoted races in a sand pit for the rescue squad. His club was called something like the Short Course Outboard Drivers Assn. You talk about a "bull-ring". You can't imangine where these guys ran. Literally in a pit. These guys even ran on a lake, in an amusement park, in the dark, on a wednesday night, with torches as turn bouys. Our heros were people like Harper Chance and "Doc" Williams. I am sure Craig can regale you with many stories.
                      I hope the intenet continues brings out the old blood from those days and the rediscover their youth.
                      !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Aeroliner update

We have not gotten far on the boats, just have the jig built and the hardware puchased. Alan and I took a real neat trip to Montana the beginning of Nov. You would not believe the engines and parts we picked up. We are not building a half dozen KG 4H's and three 29H Conversions. We also picked up a 30H and a completed PR 60. Man how did those guys haul those things around. Many NOS and used parts and a nice Jupiter C hydro were part of the hall. A number of pleasure boat engines were also part of the deal. Nearly 5000 miles in 6 days round trip. We just got out before the snow took over. We hope to get started with the actual boat costruction soon.

CU 30N, I will be in Scottsdale from Jan 13 to Jan 21 at the Barrett Jackson Car Auction. My 1963 Z06 Corvette you may remember the one we used as a tow car will be feature on Saturday Night 1/21. Maybe we can hook up.
                        Best regards and Happy Holiday's to all.

Comment

A/B Speedliner- You can contact me at culater30_n1@juno.com or
                          phone (480) 941-4766. WIll be great to meet up and talk over
                          old times.

Al Lang
                          CU Later 30-N
                          Ye Old Desert Geezer

Comment

Update to what is going on at Aeroliner

We have a real good machine shop turning out some nice NLA lower unit parts for us. These include the A/B/C cone nut and bearing carrier and the D cone nut, bearing carrier and the water pump cartridge. We also have nearly completed the first run of the D drive shafts, they are out for heat treating and should be back in a few weeks.
                            I you interested visit our web site www.aeroliner-boats.com for information on items we have available.
                            David Van Weele 163F
                            Attached Files

Comment

Listing for sale on ebay

We have listed the new boat we built in 2007 om ebay. Here is the link to the listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290496482804
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X