70 hp 3-holer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 hp 3-holer

Looking for a Jon-rude 3 holer that's not competitive for racing. Want to use on a runabout for playing around. Not sure what these motors are selling for so wanted to get my feelers out.

Were are you located?.....I have several 65/70/75 HP powerheads I've been save'n for FEH....never gonn'a happen....Mine are in SW NY.state.....ship'n is the issue.
    Check your local marinas....Most of these are cheep if lower unit gone.

There is a red 65hp "Stinger" on E-Bay now....will see if I can find and post

Regards, 100N/Steve French
    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Live in GA. Thinking about going (watching) to the Jesup race in April. Would really like to get one with racing lower unit.

Comment

Here's the one I was watch'n...No Bids????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

****,That is a nice Stinger.
          Bob

Comment

Quiet or not?

Originally posted by cpizze1 View Post
            Looking for a Jon-rude 3 holer that's not competitive for racing. Want to use on a runabout for playing around. Not sure what these motors are selling for so wanted to get my feelers out.

Four questions: 1) Does it have to be quiet? 2) What height for the tower? 3) How fast do you want to go? 4) How much do you want to spend?

Tim

Comment

Steve, thanks for the link...that is a nice looking Stinger.

Tim, don't want open exhaust, speed isn't a factor (not racing it), height (the shorter the better), and price (I will be showing my ignorance;no clue what they're going for). Did you have something in mind?

Comment

That is a long shaft "Stinger", looks like a standard size gear case. Probably 2.4:1 ratio.
                I believe the orange cowl was ~ 1977-78. Old style ignition / coil setup. Smaller 1 3/8" carbs.
                Good luck.

Comment

Stock Exhaust

If you want to remain quiet you can do some internal grinding with a simple file or dremel tool and achieve some pretty decent results in terms of performance. Dump it out the tower housing under the powerhead if you want to use a racing tower housing.

If you purchase an exhaust such as an above poster offers, it will be very loud and most likley get you a noise ticket. Those exit at the top. While they work for racing, it is not advisable for playing on the lake. I won't run anything like that for that reason, I can test the race rig without to many complaints of noise.

If you want to simply build something up from scratch sort to speak, you can do it pretty cheap if you do it hands on. If you farm out much it gets steeper. I suspect for a play engine you can get a powerhead going for around $500.00. Lots of them around in the bone yards. New pistons and rings and there you go. Not sure what type of tower housing or gearbox you want to use, so cost there could be high or low.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                  X