Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueprinting

Hey there,
    i am currently getting ready to pipe my 302 and i have it appart at the moment waiting on some new rings and gaskets, but while i have it appart i was woundering maybe i should have it blueprinted. It is bone stock...nothing has been touched so far.

soo i was hoping you guys could tell me:

who does it?
    approx cost?
    what parts get the treatment?
    do i need to send the whole powerhead away or just some pieces?

Mitch
    Mitch Knapton 44-CE
    CMH

I would get a hold of Tom Johnston he is very good with these engines but i think it will run awesome with the addition of the pipe it self.
    Bob

Comment

When you say "nothing has been touched" I see a motor straight from Montoya.

I will assume you have the short tower and all the foot modifications like low water pickup, nosecone and templated.

All mod specs for 302's are the same for mod and stock, except the head dimension.

For first season of mod I would just get the head cut to the mod spec. It is cheap and easy.

If you find yourself off the pace then consider a blueprinting job.

A "brand name" blueprinting job can be as cheap as 400 and as expensive as 2000 parts and labor depending what they find. 1000-1200 is the most common number I hear.

Invest the 1000 I just saved you into a couple of 4 blade props

BW
      302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

yes it was a used one i purchaced from Ron Hill last april. runs awesome but bluprinting seemed the way to go since everyone else is doing it.
        and yes i still need to order the nosecone and the foot is getting sent awawy soon to have the prop shaft changed and get shaped.
        I ran it this year witht the 16mm shaft.
        Mitch Knapton 44-CE
        CMH

Comment

First, what does "blueprint" mean.

In the context most often used by Stock and Modified Outboard racers it means taking a motor apart and machining certain dimensions within the original manufacturers specifications allowed by APBA rule to the most advantageous measurement.

In certain other manufacturers those specifications are quite large which gives the final assembly machinist on the shop floor tremendous leeway in meeting Quality Assurance checks.

Yamatos are designed, engineered, and built to a racing performance standard, not a fishing motor standard. Yamatos are manufactured to such tight tolerances they dont need blueprinting, until they need blueprinting.

By that I mean run it until it gets sloppy and/or off the pace, then blueprint.

Just getting the pipe right and finding the right prop for your boat should keep you busy enough. Once you have ringed the motor 4-5 times you might consider a blueprint job. Then you get to start all over to find the right pipe and prop

1 set of rings lasts 30-40 heats.

Few things are more frustrating then sending off your motor to get blueprinted and it runs exactly the same as when you sent it off.

BW
          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
            Just getting the pipe right and finding the right prop for your boat should keep you busy enough.BW

no doubt that will keep me busy, it should keep me realy busy. i am gonna try runing the motor on a DSH that i have.(the same as in my avatar) , until i find a cmod boat or build one. The DSH is pretty light and has lots of lift. i am under the 440lbs mark by about 18lbs or so with the stock yamato setup.

but back to the blueprinting...i have no idea how far the stock setup was off pace as ididn't spend to much time finding a prop because i knew i wanted to mod the motor so it would have been a waste of money. with a prop i had kicking around i saw 64mph regularly. if i invested in a prop..probably woulda seen more.

but like i said this motor is straight from japan so who knows how much its been run.. but i think i'll take your advice and spend the 1k on props and just a good hone and ring job for now. but its good to know who does this for future refrence.
            Mitch Knapton 44-CE
            CMH

Comment

CMH Hull availability

Mitch, I sent you a PM w my coordinates.
              Contact me.
              Erik
              Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

will do Erik
                i try you monday or so...give you a few days to recover after new years! haha

Happy New Year Everybody
                Mitch Knapton 44-CE
                CMH

Comment

Lower unit

Mitch
                  You need to get the lower unit done or
                  your wasting your time with props.
                  Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X