D Stock Mercury/D Stock Tohatsu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D Stock Mercury/D Stock Tohatsu

I would like a show of opinions.I,m even sure some a you may have one or two.
    Given the choice of starting new in 2011 with either motor.(price difference not an issue.) Who would pick the 44CI Merc?Who would pick the 50+CI Tohatsu?
    Why?

Thanks,

Diesel

Tohatsu or 44XS

..........geez it sure is quiet around here. Must be the new fallen snow.

Diesel,
    I'd pick the Tohatsu.
    Why? It runs well and all parts are brand new. Inspection is a snap: the cyl head is removable, the reed blocks can be pulled without tearing down the engine. the Bass tower and gearfoot are bullet-proof. The gearfoot is easy and simple to disassemble in the event you shear a pin ( 1/4" dia ) and have to press the prop off the shaft. The Bass 'Micro-adjust' mounting bracket has a built in adjustable thrust plate. The gearfoot uses a Merc 500 impeller. The 44XS has none of these features, although they run well also.

Alex
    DSH 12A
    Last edited by ram95; 12-19-2010, 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

and isn't the Tohatsu still in production??
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

44 CI Tohatsu

I need to correct your understanding; the Tohatsu is 42.6 CI, not 50 CI. Keep in mind that new parts are readily available; they are shown to be very reliable, several folks with a Tohatsu consistently compete well at Nationals even under the APBA restrictions for the Tohatsu, and APBA SORC purchased two for quick sale to racers. Call Sid Bass at 360-373-3839 to order an engine or contact Ed Hearn to purchase one of the SORC engines.

Good Luck,
        Neil Bass

Comment

Tohatsu, and I am a Merc guy. 50-R

Comment

Tohatsu....Why? See posts 2,4,and 5 above.
            Last edited by Jeff Akers; 12-19-2010, 11:22 PM.
            93-C

Comment

Tohastu

I bought a 44xs Merc several years ago and paid way too much for it. At the time, the Tohatsu wasn't even talked about, at least in the midwest. When I raced against the Tohatsu's at the Grass Lake nationals, they flew by me on the race coarse. I have completely rebuilt my Mercury since then(quite expensive) and hope to be more competetive in Wakefield in 2011.

I would highly recommend the Tohatsu. The servicability and loop-charge technology are far superior IMHO.
              Joe Schweickert 2-H

Comment

I have both a 44sx and a tohatsu both are fresh motor and have ran both this year. The 44sx is about 2 mph faster than the tohatsu still working on set up on the tohatsu and prop selection. Like the idea of part being able to get new instead of old. Looking for 30 over mer pistion (stock) still. Probably mod the Mer in the next few weeks. Just like any class you run good motor bad set up you know where this is headed PROPS

Comment

I would choose the Tohatsu over the Merc for the reasons of Post #2,3 as well. The low end torque numbers give quick acceleration and pulling in the corners with the right prop set up. May give a little on top end but with a higher pitch prop might still have competitive straightway speed of the merc.

Brian
                  maverickracing@q.com

Comment

Tohatsu as above

Steve A

CMH. 61R
                    Short Fuze Racing
                    Team Darneille
                    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
                    IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Tohatsu for me to. Maybe someday they will even let it run Mod
                      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Merc parts are expensive, brittle and hard to find. The motor is fickle and difficult to tune.

Tohatsu parts are new and priced appropriately, but until the "ol' boys" pull their head out of the ground and let the stock motor run in D-mod, the R&D curve of the Tohatsu will take much longer to catch up to the Merc.

Make no mistake, right now, the Mercury is faster and will be for a couple of more years until the R&D curves intersect; but once the Tohatsu is figured out, watch out, it'll be rollin'!
                        http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Diesel, remove the mask,...

Diesel, assuming you started the thread to equip yourself to race in 2011 in CDA/US, drop me a line. There are a couple of longstanding CDN DSH racers practically in your backyard that would be very pleased to chime in to get you out on the course with them this summer. What do you have for a boat?...might also influence engine choice, although Tohatsu's the strong favourite.
                          Our first 2011 TORC club meeting is Sat Jan 8th, wld be great to have you out.
                          Drop me a line for sure.
                          Erik
                          TORC Membership Director
                          erik.luksep@ge.com
                          B:905-858-4917
                          Last edited by hydroid; 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM.
                          Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

Sand in my teeth

Thats funny Guedo! You, the two time national champ in DSH can run in D-Mod. But a handfull of the guys you beat can't... Whadup?

J-Dub
                            Last edited by Black Sheep; 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by nbass View Post
                              I need to correct your understanding; the Tohatsu is 42.6 CI, not 50 CI. Keep in mind that new parts are readily available; they are shown to be very reliable, several folks with a Tohatsu consistently compete well at Nationals even under the APBA restrictions for the Tohatsu, and APBA SORC purchased two for quick sale to racers. Call Sid Bass at 360-373-3839 to order an engine or contact Ed Hearn to purchase one of the SORC engines.

Good Luck,
                              Neil Bass
                              if ordered today how long does delivery take?

Comment

Working...
                              X