Yamato Mod Package Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato Mod Package Now Available

I have been involved in modified outboard racing for 44 years, starting with the NOA when it was the AmPro Division. Modified outboard racing is a great form of racing but there has always been a problem trying to find the components to build a modified engine. This has become more of a problem in recent years. With my retirement from education this past year, I have attempted to address this modified shortcoming.

A number of you are already running mod 44 Mercs with exhaust systems or towers from the patterns I acquired from Harry O’Brien. The class that I have most enjoyed the past 12 years has been the mod 500 class with the yamato 302. The 500 class is a class with great growth potential once modified components are readily available. This interest has got me started on parts for the Yamato.

Since my retirement, I have worked on the development of a bolt-on Yamato mod package. Using our own experience and the input of a number of other mod builders and racers, we have designed a system to make it easy to put together a Yamato mod engine. This design is based on the systems that have been consistent winners of this class at the national level for the last several years. You can be confident this system will work and be competitive.

All of the pre-production work is nearly complete for the 302 package. This package includes an exhaust filler block, a side plate, an aluminum elbow with pipe slide cone, an expansion chamber with sufficient power band to work with a variety of “C” Stock or Mod 500 propellers. All the necessary hardware for attaching the system to the power head and sliding the pipe are also included.

Also available is a cast aluminum tower house to fit to your clamp bracket. This tower will accept the direct mounting of a 302 gear box. A gear box spacer plate is not required but is available if you prefer a cavitation plate. A pipe support bracket can also be supplied if desired.

Additionally, a hatchet style nose cone is available. This attachment is plumbed for water and only requires the attachment of your water hose. This casting is contoured to cradle on the gear box requiring very little work to finish to race ready.

Most of this work is already complete and all of these components will be available by the first of the year. The complete package will be available for inspection at the APBA National Meeting in Detroit.

Of course, the 750 Mod components I have been building are still available.

Interested persons can contact me by e-mail.
    Cliff Johnson
    fcliff@yahoo.com

Cliff will you be developing a filler block and header for 102 engines down the road??
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

102 exhaust

I now have the filler blocks for 102. We have the design work completed for the 102 but are unsure if there will be the demand to justify creating patterns for aluminum elbows. If not aluminum we will proceed with steel. I do have the jigs for that but there is the problem with slight differences in the welded steel.

Comment

Mod

I have know Cliff for 40 years an the stuff he makes is first class so if you need something this is where to to get it for a C MOD an 44 Merc, Mod.

Comment

Cliff, do you have a picture of your whole 302 set up on an engine. It may help sway or motivate some folks. Could you also post or PM me some prices.

Comment

Great help for the C-mod class .

I have a question mate will the header your making fit a pipe made by lee .

Steve A

CMH. 61R
            Short Fuze Racing
            Team Darneille
            ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
            IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

I have a Yamato 302 and would like to know more about these mods.

1. At what rpm will the modified engine be operating in? I presently run my stock engine at ~6,800rpm.
              2. Do I need to modify the stock ports to match the pipe?
              3. Does it still use gasoline as fuel? What oil ratio?
              4. Do I need to change the gear ratio? Now at stock 14:15.
              5. Do I need to change the cylinder head also? Stock CR is rather low.

I am very interested and was actually searching the net for possible mods........ but would like to know first what I'm getting into before I hack away at my engine. I am from the Philippines.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Systemoverload View Post
                I have a Yamato 302 and would like to know more about these mods.

1. At what rpm will the modified engine be operating in? I presently run my stock engine at ~6,800rpm.
                2. Do I need to modify the stock ports to match the pipe?
                3. Does it still use gasoline as fuel? What oil ratio?
                4. Do I need to change the gear ratio? Now at stock 14:15.
                5. Do I need to change the cylinder head also? Stock CR is rather low.

I am very interested and was actually searching the net for possible mods........ but would like to know first what I'm getting into before I hack away at my engine. I am from the Philippines.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------
                Basically if you want to run Mod per the APBA rules with your 302 then you can only add the exhaust system, run 4 blade props, and change the water pickup system. No changes can be done to the power head or the gear ratio. RPM range will be 7400-7800 approx. Also you can raise or lower the engine anywhere you want and Min weight for boat, motor and driver is 440 pounds

Comment

How much for a complete 302 setup? Got any pictures of the complete setup?
                  Sattler Racing R-15
                  350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                  TEAM VRP
                  The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Originally posted by pro350hydro View Post
                    How much for a complete 302 setup? Got any pictures of the complete setup?
                    I do believe I asked those questions a couple posts previous

Comment

Yamato Mod Exhaust Kit

GET EXCITED! THIS IS BIG…

The Modified Commission is pleased to announce that orders are now being accepted for complete Yamato 80 and Yamato 302 Modified Exhaust Conversion Kits. In addition to the appropriate legal 20 or C stock power head and lower unit, now all you will need to compete in the 350 and 500 Mod classes is an order!

This is not a “starter” exhaust system! It has been designed to win the nationals and has been made not to break. Kits are meant to be all inclusive from stainless fasteners and gaskets to manifolds, spacer plates, pipes and brackets. Elbows and filler blocks are being cast for consistency. Fixtures for pipe production are complete. Portions of this project are APBA funded, therefore the exhaust systems are priced as low as possible.

Your Total Cost… “WE ARE HOPING” …only $700 + $30 shipping.
                      A deposit will be required.

The Mod Commission recognizes the extreme “ease of entry” for stock Yamato drivers to become modified Yamato drivers, as well. Pipe slides, lower unit designs and center sections are left to the driver; however, specific directions and a list of active suppliers and eager builders are available and are included in your Yamato Mod Exhaust Kit, for assembly purposes. 102 exhaust kits will follow the successful introduction of the Yamato 80 and 302 kits.

Most C drivers search for tenths of a mph with $100 bills. With this approx. $700 exhaust system, a hydro driver can expect to increase speed between 7 and 9 mph, lead by a tremendous leap in acceleration. Many stock competitors don’t realize that all Yamato mod power heads must maintain stock specifications. The Mod Commission has always maintained the Yamato stock power head specifications, so drivers are able to competitively and legally switch their engine from stock to mod and mod to stock. “Easy of entry.” Any time you have seen a really impressive Yamato 350 or 500 Mod, it was just a stock power head like yours.

Sometimes it’s almost intimidating or difficult to figure out where to begin looking, when gazing at some mod engines. All of that speed and confusion has been engineered and produced for you. Have an extra power head? Second and third systems are available as are replacement parts.

An exhaust system will be on display in the Mod Commission meeting room at the national meeting in Detroit and systems will be on the water at the winter nationals. Be ahead of the curve… The 350 and 500mod classes are already big classes that are about to become huge. Mod Outboard… Welcome.

Cliff Johnson of Indianapolis is the chosen production manager for the Yamato Mod Exhaust Kit project by the Mod Commission. As Johnson mentions in his initial post, he can also supply center sections and lower unit nose cones for your metamorphosis. Mike Cook of ME can also be a great assistance to you by supplying center sections and will provide and install your nose cone for you. Alan Brown of NJ supplies great center sections, along with the rest of his vast racing hardware inventory. Also great suppliers… Tom Cronk of FL, Lee Tietz of OR and Computerized Marine of WA, all have highly recommended SO/MOD hardware to help you compete.

Please contact Cliff Johnson fcliff@yahoo.com or me (BPquick1@aol.com) for any production or competition questions. For all 350 and 500 Mod Kit orders, please contact me.

Thanks,

Brian P

Comment

Email sent

Steve A

CMH. 61R
                        Short Fuze Racing
                        Team Darneille
                        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
                        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Sent a private message.

Comment

I knew this class was starting to take off. This is what more of the classes need. A easy way to get started. Get the power plant all set and MRC can help you get into a new boat to go with it

Comment

I said in another thread that I didn't want to spend more money to stay competitive in CMR and would like to back to CSR. With this package available, I guess I am going to have to open up my wallet, again. Not the last time either I guess.
                              kk

Comment

Working...
                              X