Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy in Indiana

Hello to all,
    I am looking for some help to find a good c stock hydro and motor. I am new to this sport and am looking for any help/advice I can get. I am in central Indiana. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    Peter Allen

Peter,
    First of all, welcome to the sport. I hope you will find it as rewarding as those of us who have been doing it for 25 plus years.

From where you are located, you are in the heart of Indiana Outboard country. IOA has a website that might help http://www.indianaoutboard.org IOA is a modified club but they do run some stock classes at their races. To your east, the club there is TRORA and it is a stock & modified club www.trora.com and to your north, you have Michigan Hydroplane which is mostly a Stock club.

The reason I mention this is so that you get equipment that you can race locally. I currently race both C stock hydro and 500 Mod Hydro, both use the same power plant but the modified class uses a tuned exhaust as well as other things. Both classes run pretty much every weekend but depend on what direction you travel. The stock rig can run as is in the modified class but the mod cannot run in stock. However the stock rig will not be that competitive with the fullly modified rigs.

From your house, there are several great racers in the Indy area. Regardless of what you end up running, they will be a great asset to you in getting started. My advice would be to look around at the club websites to get a feel for where their races are located, this way you have an idea on how far you will need to travel in order to race. Then you can discuss what class would be the right fit for you.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Last edited by Brian10s; 10-18-2010, 01:26 PM.
    Brian 10s

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to our sport Peter. Brian gave you good information. The Indiana club is a great club and they put on terrific races. The race you attended at A.J. Jolly was an IOA race. Every member of this club would be eager to help you get started and go fast.

You should consider joining us at our annual meeting and awards banquet that will be held Saturday November 6. Check the IOA web site. There will be lots of race talk and a chance to socialize with people in your area.

Let us know what you need.
      Cliff

Comment

Indiana Boat Racing

Pete,

I have just sent you an e-mail as well. Please don't hesitate to call with questions. I live on the SW side of Indy in Mooresville. I will do all I can to help out.

Steve Roskowski
        317 650-1087

Comment

Brian,
          Thanks for the advise, I will see what I can drum up locally!!

Cliff,
          I would love to come but unfortunately, I am currently out of the country and will not be back at that time. If any future events come up please let me know. I will check the website also.

Steve,
          I appreciate the offer, I do have a number of questions... the classes are a little confusing. I also have some specific questions on exactly how to get started. I have read everything I can find but there does not seem to be a simple "Step A, Step B, Step C", checklist type of document that tells you exactly what to do and in what order. I looked for you email but could not find it in my Inbox... try it again if you wouldn't mind and send it to:
          pallen7857@gmail.com I have had a lot better luck with that one. Microsoft seems to loose my messages fairly regularly. As I wrote earlier, I am currently out of the country but I am looking for as CSH/ 302 either together or separately. If you know of or hear of anything, I have no problem buying sight unseen as long as one of you more experienced guys can let me know it is a good hydro. An engine that needs some work is no problem either, I have been working on and overhauling outboards for years.

Thank you for your help,

Pete

Comment

Pete Welcome!

I'm in Washington State so i may not get to meet you until nationals in Michigan in the summer, if you attend.

The midwest guys can help you out a lot. Finding equipment and actual race help, etc. Here's a list for starters:

1. get an APBA and local club membership (IOA?). www.apba-racing.com
            2. buy safety equipment (security race prodects (SRP) website has a link on hydroracer). You will need cut sleeves, pants, lifejacket, helmet. Pat Gleason is the contact for them.
            3. Get a boat/motor/prop. Looks like you are working on that now. Midwest guys can help better than I can since they are local, see above. I know out west we have had some equipment for sale recently (Tony Lombardo comes to mind in cali). His boat/motor is a good combo. Not sure if it's a 302 though, but it has been listed under for sale equipment on hydroracer. Also Ricky Montoya is the USA dealer for Yamato. He is in Seattle and has 60 or so brand new 302's in stock. If you need his number private message me.
            4. GO TESTING!!! Thats the best part! I would recommend finding an established racer who can help with set up, basic racing skills, and racing style to start.

The stock chariman (over sees the stock commission for APBA) is Ed Hearn and he lives in Indiana. He is also a good contact to have. His email is listed at the APBA website and he is a regular visitor here on hydroracer.

GOOD LUCK and hope to see you at nationals in the summer!
            Kyle Bahl
            20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Working...
            X