25SS Mercury / Runabout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25SS Mercury / Runabout

I purchased this rig from an elderly gentleman who got it at Ocoee over 15 or 20 years ago, raced it once there took it home and it has been in storage ever since.The boat is in great shape and the motor which looks like the original 25ss engine has compression and spark.I know nothing else about it, and if anyone knows the pedigree of this outfit please chime in.I need room for a few other toys so make me an offer.I would rather sell it to a fellow racer but it will go to the ebayers if no interest.I can be reached at 770 294 6154 most anytime.Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

Herb, its closer to 30 years old than 15-20.

First 25SS I have seen in a long time without a broken/reinforced/repaired starter recoil assy. That makes it practically in "like new" condition.

I have never heard of Samuri Boat Works either and cant remember who had 14F from 30 years ago.

If I was gonna take a guess I might try Andy Fraden, but I think he was 15F and I never saw him in a runabout.

not much help

BW
    Last edited by B Walker; 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM.
    302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

25ss

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
      Herb, its closer to 30 years old than 15-20.

First 25SS I have seen in a long time without a broken/reinforced/repaired starter recoil assy. That makes it practically in "like new" condition.

I have never heard of Samuri Boat Works either and cant remember who had 14F from 30 years ago.

If I was gonna take a guess I might try Andy Fraden, but I think he was 15F and I never saw him in a runabout.

not much help

BW
      ---------------------------------------
      I have a 1973 25 ss with battle scars that includes reinforced recoil and tower and the upper exhaust relief. And a more dangerous battle scar was the cracking of the flywheel flex plate around the inner bolt circle. If that engine has none of these it was hardly used.

What do you want for the rig?
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

What Kind Of Boat?

Hello Lanphear,

You have nice stuff and a really nice display room. Everything looks first class.

Nice KG4s also.

What kind of boat is the blue "Next Time" ?

Good Luck.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Swift

I now see the Swift.

Really Nice.

Dean Hobart
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

bump

Bump one
            82F
            Mark O'Brien

Comment

If there is any interest in this outfit please call me @770 294 6154 and I willo make the sale , it needs to go, no room . New boats are arriving soon!

Comment

22-N Swift

In the early 50's , I used to race B Stock Hydro against a 56-N Swift owned by a guy named Herb from Bingamton, NY. Same boat ???
                Last edited by Stew Sill; 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

What is the value of a 25ss in good condition? I bought one a few months back just wondering if I made a good deal or not.

Comment

I would bet there are not enough in "good" condition to be able to establish a solid value.

If "good" means original tower, mag plate, and recoil assy without repairs.

I have seen brand new 25SS's break the recoil assy on its first race weekend.

BW
                    Last edited by B Walker; 05-23-2010, 08:38 AM.
                    302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

You are correct Mr. Sill, that is my father and we were from Binghamton, and now live in Ga.That Swift is just like the one he had with his #s and name.I am sure he would love to talk with you further as would I, please leave some forwarding info.Thanks for the reply.

Comment

25ss good condition value

Originally posted by Stew Sill View Post
                        In the early 50's , I used to race B Stock Hydro against a 56-N Swift owned by a guy named Herb from Bingamton, NY. Same boat ???
                        I raced this 1973 25ss engine from 73 to 80 and it had its issues as I note below.

I have seen some for $1200 to $2000 but only in photos. Value is only what a willing buyer is prepared to pay, at that is variable. To me the real value cannot be determined unless you touch it, inspect it and hear it run. These engines have weak spots as I also note in my post above and detail below.

In order for the recoil to not break it needs to be reinforced at the outside sharp corners of each front leg. I did this with wlded alum triangular fillets. At my first race in Region 5 at least 1/2 the field had recoil problems.

Another weak location is the rear support bolt of the recoil would also break at the support casting stump on top of the block. I fixed this with an alum plate bent to fit from the exhaust side rear bolt to the 2 top bolts on the rear cooling cover and over to the top bolt at the switch box that also secures the top of the intake cover.

Also look for cracks at the tower upper exhaust relief that area needs reinforcement by welding.

Finally the 3 piece flywheels are also an issue. The thin flex plate that holds the inner crank piece and the outer magnet ring will crack in a circle below the inner bolt ring that secures the recoil ratchet cup. If I was to inspect a 25ss first virson I would remove the ratchet cup and look for a crack. If the engine has any serious time on it there will be one.

At the races I carried extra flex plate kit and a complete recoil for a quick change in case of issues. After I reinforced the recoil housing the recoil never broke again.

Without these reinforcements I would consider the early version 25ss to be a trailer queen and no fun if you actually use it seriously at the rev ranges of 7000 rpm.

Btw what cold compression do you get?
                        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Thanks

Great thanks for your detailed response. I have not checked the compression of this motor. Actually I really do not race I just enjoy running these old race boats and having fun with them. I have a B&H Hydro that I plan on using the 25ss on just for fun. I also have a Mercury Mark 55H that I normally use on that boat. I have attached some pictures, so let me know what you of the 25ss motor. Steve Beshears
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beshears View Post
                            Great thanks for your detailed response. I have not checked the compression of this motor. Actually I really do not race I just enjoy running these old race boats and having fun with them. I have a B&H Hydro that I plan on using the 25ss on just for fun. I also have a Mercury Mark 55H that I normally use on that boat. I have attached some pictures, so let me know what you of the 25ss motor. Steve Beshears
                            That is a nice looking hydro and 55H.

That is great that you have fun. Keep using these engines it keeps them from going bad. But even just fun with the early 25ss can be dissapointing if things I discussed break. At the very least you need to check the flex plate on the flywheel. If that ruptures you do not want to be near it and it will destroy the top of your engine and you. Flex plate kits are hard to comeby nowdays but here is the part # to do the search

34568A1

This kit fits the Merc 200,350, 400,402, 500, 650,800,850,900,950,1000,1150,1250,1350

Marinepartsexpress.com has this plate kit 70 + S&H

I would like to know your engines compression, a good condition one will pull 115 to 120 psi at 3 hard pulls. You want both cylinderes to be close. If you do the test make sure the plugs are in the wires and they are grounded to the engine. These CDI systems do not like to discharge to nothing.

Here is a shot of the hydro at a race in Lake Worth Fla in 1978 cliping along in the 63 mph range. The 10th post down by ZUL8TR:

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...t=7764&page=14

I like the 25ss engine. I had great fun and winning success with it in APBA region 5.

If you want I can send you pics of the various reinforcements I made to keep it together. Just PM me.
                            Last edited by ZUL8TR; 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM. Reason: added link to purchase a part

Comment

Working...
                            X