Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by froggy3racer View Post
    Brian,

Is the black boat Dan's old boat? The nose cone does not look the same and the support back near the transom is missing. Were they changed or removed over the years?
    Jim; the cowl is the same one Lowell has used for years. A new boat he built recently for 350PRO was almost identical. The transom supports are seen in the kilo pics, screwed to the coaming with metal plates, could have been removed.
    Q?-was the kilo boat the same one used in the WORLDS held in MI in the 80s,
    which Dan won 500PRO in ?

Anthony; I am in FL this month, and could not get into my barn for the snow.
    The boat is ~13' OAL. with 34' bottom. A little narrow for FEH as we discovered.
    Nice ride though. It would have liked your old twin.
    Last edited by bh/; 03-07-2010, 03:35 PM. Reason: sp
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Pic of H-4 @ 1986 Worlds (Ford Lake, Ypsilanti, MI)

Here is a picture of the H-4 TU-CO Special taken at the 1986 Worlds on 07/13/86. This is the same boat that set the Kilo Record of 121.94 mph at Morehaven, FL on 12/05/87. Lowell says the overall length is 14' and the bottom is 32 or 33" wide (he will check the drawings tonight).

This boat is the only boat that Lowell built that has a sharp edge where he sponson chine meet the deck. All other boats have a ~ 1/2" flat.

Brian: Does the black boat have this sharp edge? The nose cone on the black boat looks different then in the TU-CO picture. Lowell only has one nose cone mold, the same nose cone has been used from ~1982 until 2010.
      Attached Files

Comment

Brian,

Not to disbelieve you, but I am having a real hard time convincing myself that your black boat is Dad's old boat. I wish I could be sure it was because we would want it. My wife and I just got one of his old 250 boats back and I would really love to have his record boat back to tuck away in my barn. The sponson edges don't look the same and the nose cone definately looks different.

Thanks,

Jim Kirts

Comment

Bottom Width

Talked to my Dad (Lowell) last night and he check the drawings of the record boat and the bottom width is 33". Hope all this info helps....

Thanks,

D.S.

Comment

Originally posted by froggy3racer View Post
            Brian,

Not to disbelieve you, but I am having a real hard time convincing myself that your black boat is Dad's old boat. Jim Kirts

Jim; -for posterity sake, I would like to sort this out. When you talk to Dan, ask him what boat he sold to John Dertinger from Ontario back in the late 90s.
            John went to IN and got this boat from Dan, and took it to Miami for a WORLDS[?] run there.
            I am in FL, and the boat up north, so can not check the dims or details.
            But the cowl is Lowells typical one. Paint scheme makes it appear diffent.
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F
            "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Lowel jr. Your dad want remember this, but i have what i think is the last Butt's hydro build in Mich. In 1977 at Cadis Ky we were pitted beside each other. we were talking an he said I am helping Tim build your boat, it should be ready soon. this was july 4 -77 i picked the boat up at the Pro Nat's in aug. I think he lived close to Tim at that time.Tell him i still have that boat he helped build, an it won championships. he said they had been camping in the Smokey Mt. a week before the race he had a red van.I remember this because i had a blue one, i have no idea why i remember this but do. i saw a pic of him at Gary P's a while back . I said Lowel can't be that old an said he## i'am that old to . Where did the time go.
              He later built some great boats, Sorry he got hurt back then but i've been there too. Danny.
              Last edited by Danny Pigott; 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Brian,

I talked to dad yesterday. He can't remember for sure if John bought that boat or not. He said John did buy a boat from him and it is possible that it was the same one. If you get a chance, measure the boat from the tip of the sponson to the very back of the boat. Let me know that dimension. Dad said all of his 500 boats were only 12'8" except for his record boat. If the dimension fits what he told me, then I will want to talk a deal with you on the boat if you want to get rid of it. Let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Jim, my dad ended up getting that boat from your dad. I raced it in my first nationals at depue in 1988. I know dad had it at least into the early 90s because it is the boat I ran in 500cc when I lived in California with him. He ran his 13' 6" Schumacher in 500cc and then ran this boat in 1100cc. I will ask him who he sold it to and when. I also dont think the nose cone looks the same. Looks too narrow at the front.
                  Last edited by Doug Hall; 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
                  X