OMC A Motor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC A Motor ?

Does anyone know the year range that can be used for the A class. I presently have an 1985-15hp and 1986-10hp. Can I use a 1989-15hp also?

Look at the APBA stock inspection manual. It gives you the casting #'s for the parts that are legal.
    Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will check on that today. Hey would you happen to know were I could find a testwheel for my A-motor and if you prefer one tachometer over another. Looking for one of those also.

Comment

As a standard rule of thumb

1986 through 1992 15HP OMC motors have the correct block, cylinder head, and midsection, all legal, but in late '92, a muffler piece was put on the tower, and I think you have to remove that.

You are looking for block casting number 396780. You can find that number under the mag plate, facing the right rear (cylinder head end) of the engine. You'll have to angle the motor so it has enough light under there to see it.

Another way to check is the powerhead bolt pattern. The illegal block has a crooked, narrow bolt pattern and uses an exhaust tuner that is squared and crooked.

The legal powerhead has a wider bolt pattern, all bolts are along the same line, and the exhaust tuner is a megaphone style, round with one 3/4" hole in it under where it mounts to the block.

Last, the tower. I'm speaking of fishing motor conversions here, the right tower uses a tiller handle with one simple bolt through it holding it to the tower. The early or illegal style uses a multiple part connection.

Along with the block number, you want the cylinder head that has a three bolt thermostat housing at the top cylinder, not the head with the water jacket that has 8-10 bolts. The right head will not have a water jacket, it will have drilled passages with freeze plugs, and the thermostat housing on top cylinder as I described.

Hope this helps.
        Bill Schwab
        Miss KTDoodle #62C
        -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

omc a motor

Thank you for all that information. Heading out to check now. That should answer all my ?'s.

Comment

Working...
          X