Merc 25SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc 25SS

Back on the hunt for a really-really nice Merc 25SS for a 1970's hydro restoration project!

All leads appreciated - thanks!

~Bill
    Algonac, MI
    smirnoff56@hotmail.com

bill you mean the old toilit bowl merc ?

Comment

25ss

Not the 20H conversion or toilet bowl.....back in the 70's Merc made a 25SS before the 25XS.
      Last edited by smirnoff; 03-15-2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

oh ok i am sorry i did not know that i was going to say i know a guy in your town that has a 25xs he might sell

Comment

BUMP Again......

Comment

25ss lead

Originally posted by smirnoff View Post
            Back on the hunt for a really-really nice Merc 25SS for a 1970's hydro restoration project!

All leads appreciated - thanks!

~Bill
            Algonac, MI
            smirnoff56@hotmail.com
            Bill

Try this site they do old restorations and might have a 25ss or can get one. I met them at the Antique boat show this past March in Tavares Fla. They have lots of old stuff. I also saw 2- 25ss engines there (different vendor) and they were in less than fair shape by my standards and selling for $1200 with no props. The recoil was marginal, prop shaft with rust and other relatively poor care. I was suprized at the wanted price for an engine needing a lot of work!

http://www.aeroliner-boats.com/index.html

BTW I just finished restoring my 25ss hydro I ran in the 73 thru 79 with the Merc. The restore included major refinishing with some plywood replace for the hydro and freshening up the 25ss engine I bought from Dick O'Dea in 1973 with new seals in the foot, carb gaskets and spark plugs. Engine is in excellent condition with break your arm compression and runs like it did when I raced it. It was (still is) a fast set up running in the 64+ range set up for competition . I won region 5 High Points in 1974 with Pinner prop. I just might sell so keep in touch.

Tell me about your restoration.

Pete
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Try Steve Dinicolantonio he had a 25ss a couple of years ago.

sdinick@aol.com
              444-B now 4-F
              Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Merc 25ss Wtb

Pete,

Thanks for the information.....I am already one-step ahead, I have already contacted them & they are more into the 1950's racing motors. Did your tower develop cracks, I see many towers that have developed cracks & have been patch welded. Some 25SS water outlets are round, some are square, not sure what the later models were?

Sounds like you have a really nice 25SS motor, Dick performed some KG7H work (lighten flywheel, etc) for me many years ago, back around 1970. The hydro I am restoring is a Hal Kelly Jupiter, I thought about a 20H Popper, but keep going back to the 25SS (maybe because its the motor I desperately wanted back then!).

If you have some photos of your motor, please email them my way.....also let me know if you are seriously interested in selling?

All the best -

~Bill

Comment

Merc 25ss Wtb

Howie,

Appreciate the lead!

I will follow-up with Steve.....

Thanks again,

~Bill

Comment

25ss on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...243106721&rd=1
                    Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

25SS Merc

Thanks for the lead - only interested in a complete motor!

~Bill

Comment

Another on E-Bay.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...QQcmdZViewItem

Keep'n my 25SS for AMH this season....It's stock...just gott'a pull the pipe from when I ran 25MOD.....Have a "magic" 1x1 wheel that I ran this season with my KG-MOD...now on a commode/conversion......hope to test/compare the two Nov 15th at Charlie fry's "Fun-Run" in Oil City.

Both of my 25SS towers (square hole) are welded near exhaust relief......Have cured that with a Brown Machine Yamato transum mount, kick-out bracket....the nylon shoe/saddle bolts perfect to the cavitation plate with two extra holes drilled to relocate bolts for the Merc, and takes the stress out of clamp assembly which causes the cracks under RACE conditions
                        http://www.btmco.com/102-302-Transom_Mounted.html

Post some pics when you complete rig..?

19P
                        Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 11-11-2008, 05:44 AM.
                        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                        X