Vintage DSR ClarKraft, Built by Clark Maloof, Raced by Steve Fitts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage DSR ClarKraft, Built by Clark Maloof, Raced by Steve Fitts

This boat has some GREAT history behind it. This boat was built in the early 70's by the famous Clark Maloof for the 1968 National High Point Champion Steve Fitts. It was raced by Steve into the late 70's at least as late as 1978. From what I was told this boat was painted, as it is now, and hung on the wall of a restaurant in New Hampshire. It stayed there for about 20 years before being sold to two different people before me. I am the first one to ever find history on this beautiful boat. When I bough it, I knew nothing about it, I just thought it would be a great cottage boat. Being a DSR it was built to run a Mercury Mark 55h. The boat itself is in AMAZING condition considering its 30+ years old. The bottom is painted solid red, but from what I can see there are no patches or evidence of damage except right under the front of the boat. I will take some close up pics of the the front. I think it is just surface paint bubbling, but if there is actual wood work that needs to be done I dont have the skills to do it and do it right. I am still working on digging up information, I am currently in contact with Steve Fitts via e-mail, but I not sure how soon I will get some info. The boat also has a cast aluminum 12'' steering wheel that has CW stamped on top of each other. The paint job as it is now, it says Calendar Girl 9B down both sides, along with a 3 foot painting of Betty Boop on the bow.

I am going to race CSH in 2008 so right now money it TIGHT trying to get everything I need. I really don't want to see this go, but I am entertaining offers as I may need the money. This would be a great winter side project, reconditioning this runabout. I am looking for $1,500 obo, will consider Yamato 80 or CSH trailer in partial or full trade. The boat is in Windham Maine. and I have no trailer to sell with the boat, we can also meet people to probably a 150-200 miles radius. Also any information or pictures any of you old timers might have would be GREATLY appreciated. You can respond here, private message me, e-mail me at silas1128@gmail.com, or call me at (207) 615-3124.

The first two pictures attached were take at the Regional Championships on Flagstaff Lake in Eustis, Me in 1978. The last four pictures were the ones i was given when I purchased it. I will take some more recent pics, probably better quality.
    Last edited by Silas_53A; 02-23-2008, 08:49 PM.
    Silas Jordan
    Windham, Maine
    CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
    Sigma Nu, IN-549

Matt Dias and Bobby Humphrey in picture #2, Flagstaff Lake, Stratton, Maine.

Comment

Puttin' Quincy Massachusetts on the map.
      Yeah, baby!!!!

Stratton, Maine: Didn't a plane used to fly over the pitts dropping dollar bills?
      Twisted Sister

Comment

Tall Timber Days

Twisted Sister

You have a great memory.....Only in Maine would they toss money out of a plane and almost lose an entire community to mass drownings! Chuck McCabe had the right idea, pushed his boat into the water to scoop up the loot.

Comment

My Memory? Check it out!

Billy Allen raced his first race there in 1974.
          Saturday: Greg Bruno first place, Curt Brunjes second, Kathy Brunjes third, Billy Allen fourth, Bobby Blake fifth and John Garber (the original Gloomy Gus' son) was sixth.
          Sunday the Regionals: Greg Bruno first place, Billy Allen second. (Curt and Kathy Brunjes both jumped the gun)
          Twisted Sister

Comment

9b

I think I saw that Calendar girl runabout for sale on the side of the road, Rt. 13 in Brookline NH a year or so ago...

Comment

Hedlund.....................

Look at the 8-B Hedlund next to Dias. Brings back bad memories. Those 'barrelroll specials' won me the Saddle Award back in the New England days!!! Looks like Pete Crowleys 56-B in the pic.

How about Bobby Humphries 'dew' back then. Not a hair out of place.

Later

Comment

Originally posted by L. Allen View Post
                Billy Allen raced his first race there in 1974.
                Saturday: Greg Bruno first place, Curt Brunjes second, Kathy Brunjes third, Billy Allen fourth, Bobby Blake fifth and John Garber (the original Gloomy Gus' son) was sixth.
                Sunday the Regionals: Greg Bruno first place, Billy Allen second. (Curt and Kathy Brunjes both jumped the gun)
                You are AWESOME!!
                Ryan Runne
                9-H
                Wacusee Speedboats
                ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                  Look at the 8-B Hedlund next to Dias. Brings back bad memories. Those 'barrelroll specials' won me the Saddle Award back in the New England days!!! Looks like Pete Crowleys 56-B in the pic.

How about Bobby Humphries 'dew' back then. Not a hair out of place.

Later
                  Pete Crowley sent the first 2 photos to Silas. I have a BSR that he built in 1975.
                  Attached Files

Comment

local option

DSR - we are looking into a local option vintage hydro class next season at SSOA events. 2 and 4 cyl vintage motors on racing gear cases . Old or new boats. Full APBA regs and membership. Might be a place to start with an older hydro and a Mark type engine. There are usually older boats available in the 5-700$ range , If you join SSOA you will get the news letter and be able to keep up with this as it develops as a class. Shawn

Comment

Thanks for the info Fast. I plan on joining SSOA, but I don't have the money right now to get a 55h. I already have a complete CSH rig, i just am working on safety gear now. But who knows, if this boat doesn't sell i may get a 55h in the future. I sure would love to, but its just not a possibility right NOW.

The price on this wonderful piece of racing history is negotiable. $1500 obo. As stated before, I will accept trades such as Yamato 80, other such motors, CSH trailer, ext.

Thanks, Silas.
                      Silas Jordan
                      Windham, Maine
                      Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

BUMP!!

again, the $1,500 is the starting price. Throw out some offers, all will be considered. Pick up date doesn't really matter, if I have the capability I may be able to meet you at a race in Maine/NH/Vermont.

Silas.
                        Silas Jordan
                        Windham, Maine
                        Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Bump to the top!

No serious offers yet.

Happy Holidays!!

Silas.
                          Silas Jordan
                          Windham, Maine
                          Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Aomci

Have you tried listing this boat at aomci.org? There are a ton of guys on that site working with the old stuff.

Are you coming to the winter Nationals?

sigpic
                            SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Some new pics taken today!! Its Just a lil dusty!

and yes I have posted there, I have a couple people contacting me through e-mail, but its NOT SOLD YET!!!
                              Last edited by Silas_53A; 02-23-2008, 08:50 PM.
                              Silas Jordan
                              Windham, Maine
                              Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Working...
                              X