Wanted: Mercury lower unit tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Mercury lower unit tool

Does anyone make a tool or fixture to pull the prop shaft out of the older KG-4H/20H/25ss/30H Mercury lower units? Contact info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have had luck by puting a sheer pin thru the shaft and clamping the ends of the pin between the jaws of a bench vise, A couple of taps with a dead blow hammer on the housing will usually slide the shaft /bearing/gear out of the case. some times a little heat on the housing near the bearing helps. Shawn

Comment

I usually clamp the gearcase fin in avise w/copper jaw covers and use a
      slide hammer with 1/2-13 threads and pull it out that way. That way you don't have to beat on the housing. I think even a rubber deadblow hammer
      can distort the housing a little. It really don't take much to bend the aluminum
      and it's not very thick to begin with. Just my own method for doing this, not
      saying it's the best way or criticizing the way that other do it. But it works
      very well, my 2 cents. STEVE

Comment

The few I've worked on we used my dad's ancient chinese pollock trick. The same method as removing the electric shift from a 40HP-75 HP OMC, as well as the electric shift 55-65 loopers....Place the unit with prop shaft facing the bench. Then take the blue wrench and I note carefully pass the flame over the case. In 30 seconds or less, the shaft will drop out so just put a towl of something to break it's fall and you're done. Then let the unit come right back to temp, don't touch it, no water to cool it. Good time to crack open a bottle of Fat Tire....
        Bill Schwab
        Miss KTDoodle #62C
        -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

Pulling shaft from gear case

Years ago I had my local machine shop make me a simple thread adaptor that fits the prop shaft nut thread and the thread on my slide hammer. I have a half inch thick 4"x4" aluminum plate with a hole in it that slides over the shaft and I use on the side of the vice jaws for support. Once I get the shaft moving to the point the cartridge is almost hitting the plate its then clamped in a vice. After that a few more hits with the slide hammer and the shaft pops out. Don't forget to remove the lube fill and vent screws or it will drive you crazy.

Alan

Comment

C/D Gearcase Tool

The photos below are of a tool I made in the late 50's to remove the prop shaft. I made one for the D foot and the A,B,C units too. The cup fits aginst the open end of the housing, the threaded tube fits over the prop shaft and after installing the prop nut the stationary nut is held with a wrench and the other nut will push aginst the cup pulling the propshaft, w/p housing, impeller out as an assembly. I used this tool for many years till I quit playing with the H units in the early 90's. I hope this helps with your project.

Ken Scoville
              Boatwrx, LLC
              Boulder, CO
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X