Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass tower/foot-66CI Merc-E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sid-B...QQcmdZViewItem

Saw this and wonder'n about water pick-up?....Looks like it is above propshaft centerline near rear of case?

Sam, Will the 4-cyl powerheads bolt to the 6-cyl pattern?

Were did the 66 CI motors run?........must'a had a bunch of grunt?

Nice look'n tower.......Is there a link that shows their current stuff that's avail?

19P
    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 12-09-2007, 09:54 AM.
    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

bass

This is the 1st generation Bass mid and boot, the 100T. Current production is the 100U, a diffrent mid and boot. That water pick up system could be custom as ones i have seen have the pick up fwd and under the torpedo tube, as do most units today. The 'unique wedge' he speaks of must be the old Keller three way adjuster slipping onto the cross pin. Methinks a large thrust jack on a 66" would be preferable.
    66" sixes are legal in FRR. Some have proposed this block as a legal FEH but gets little support.
    So, buy this unit, a set of stacks, a M78/M700, and u have a very loud 80 mph ride.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bh/; 12-09-2007, 08:26 AM. Reason: pic
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Racin' ain't pretty, but it will work

The seller or the guy he bought it from either ran a 66 just for fun or don't know the difference between a 66 and a 60. There would be a remote chance of it having been used under a 66 in 2 classes where they currently run on rare occasions ... on runabouts with a driver and passenger in the Mod "2 man F runabout" class run as a local class in the northwest or the same rig in PRO's 1100cc runabout class. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a project that never got completed.

The 6 cylinder bolt pattern is close to the 4 cyl 44 pattern but wider, mostly at the back (I think the front 4 bolts will probably drop in - but not exactly on centers), but the 44 uses 5/16 studs and the 6's use 3/8 studs. If you are not picky about everything being exactly perfect and pretty it will work. The 60 and 62 ci 4's use the exact same pattern as the 6's.

I was against the 66's being allowed in FE, but since then have learned that even thought they are 10% bigger, they offer no power advantage over a 60. If it comes up again, I'll support it.

Later 66's use the bigger driveshaft, early Dockbuster 66's use the same driveshaft as the 44's

So, buy this unit, a set of stacks, a M78/M700, and u have a very loud 80 mph ride.
      Buy a set of stacks??? Where?

Comment

bass ?

Neil or Sid would know what this unit is.
        Notice the water outlet is at the back rather than port side fwd; - the upper casting fwd at the flange has been shaped; -there appear to be no vent or fill holes, but those could be what the two spots on the aft sides are ?.

re; stacks for sixes,
        Some guy in MD posted a while back that the best way was get two sets of 4cyl stacks/elbows, and a sharp hack saw
        Attached Files
        Brian Hendrick, #66 F
        "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Looks like there are 2 screws on the sides holding the tailcone on, I assume on the next (more common) version they were hidden in the back

Don't know what this is about though:

one set of holes sets the powerhead straight to run without cowling and the other set of holes sets the power head at the factory offset to run the cowling
          Have I been missing something?
          Last edited by sam; 12-09-2007, 02:02 PM.

Comment

The seller has added some more pictures. I asked Neil if this was an early version of the T, all he said was that it was a T. (Not sure he looked that closely.)

Brian, if you could post a picture of the back of a regular Bass model T for contrast, people could see what we are talking about:

Comment

Hey, Steve ... I figured this out:
              one set of holes sets the powerhead straight to run without cowling and the other set of holes sets the power head at the factory offset to run the cowling
              Guess what ... I think it has holes drilled for the 6 and the 4 ... take a look at the this picture the seller added:

Like I said, the front 4 holes are close, the back holes a little off, but both patterns are there. I see no "offset" in the recesses for the main bearing cap bolts to accommodate any rotation or offset of the powerhead; probably just the difference between the 4 and the 6
              Last edited by sam; 12-15-2007, 03:59 PM.

Comment

It's an early T-version

There were several T-versions with minor differences. This unit, I think, may have been used under a 6-carb 66ci 1100 cc runabout class. It went real fast, but the engine was hard to keep together. I took one ride on a record course with my brother driving and decided I never wanted to go again. The water pickup is low just ahead of the skeg. The water outlet can be placed about anywhere around the top, in this case in the back, just one of the options. You can fit it with the current gears but the shafts are different. It will not work with our water pump tower.

Neil Bass

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
                  Hey, Steve ... I figured this out:

Guess what ... I think it has holes drilled for the 6 and the 4 ... take a look at the this picture the seller added:

Like I said, the front 4 holes are close, the back holes a little off, but both patterns are there. I see no "offset" in the recesses for the main bearing cap bolts to accommodate any rotation or offset of the powerhead; probably just the difference between the 4 and the 6
                  I just compared a 60 block to my 30H tower and I think yer right.....(I've got a std bore and a .015 O/S 60CI blocks avail if anyone needs em)

Should make for a interest'n sale...........I'd be interested but just ordered new windows and Christmas stuff take'n priority fer now.....

Will work with my Yamato foots on the 4-cyl mercs if I find a rig........

19P
                  100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                  X