No announcement yet.

Minimost boat builders wanted in KC.MO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimost boat builders wanted in KC.MO.

They used to race these type boats here in the 60's at the Swope Park Lagoon. I was only about 10 yrs. at the time. We saw wood boat racing at the Pom. and The Lake of the Ozarks.
    This city is dead, nothing but Jet Skiers and big boats pulling tubers.
    I built my first boat last year a modified TNT from Glen-L.com.

I've posted ads on Craigs List and on pwctoday.com(trying to get jet skiers),
    and on fishing web sites.

These are good intery level boats to get people interested.
    Tired of buzzing arround the lakes by myself.

PS. my TNT is a blast to surfe the wakes of those wake boats .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by woodman; 10-25-2007, 09:06 PM.
    12' TNT with 650 kawasaki jet drive.
    http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...awford_photos/

Woodman, way to go! We'd love to hook up with some races in the KC area...even have some racers there. I think your idea is a good one...minimost is a slick looking hull, and the TNT you're driving has always been on of my favorites (if ever a Glen-L project here, it'll likely be a TNT powered with a 44 inch Merc.)

I hope you get some takers...too many folks just go buy their toys now, run 'em a summer or two and let 'em sit and fade in the sun.

Dan Crummett
    O-40
    NBRA public relations commitee chair

Comment

The mini most is so cool. It seems to be catching on again also.
      Give Carl Staron of Staron Boats a call. He has been building some. He lives in Florida but he can send the plans or build you some.
      His goal is to do a complete rig for $1000 or less. Carl and his son Tony have been working with Briggs and Stratton and have been very successful with their outboard. Yes, I said, complete rig, boat and motor for $1000.
      Tony has a date at the Briggs factory in Wisconsin later this month.
      Give Tony a call at:
      561-644-1200
      Carl's number is: (863) 699-9701 leave a message and Carl will call you back. He only talks to boat racers, so leave message that you want info about a mini-most.
      If you are in the vicinity of Lake Placid Florida over Thanksgiving, Carl is putting on a race there. There should be a few mini-most racing there along with some other antique classes and modern classes. A great time in boat racing heaven.
      Connie Payn

Comment

Thanks for the info, this outboard stuff (44''merc) is all greek to me.
        I have been soaking up the past year on kawasaki jet ski motors (aftermarket hp. improvements etc.) for my boat, I don't know much at all about outboards.
        I know wood working, been a cabinet maker for some 25+ yrs.
        I just want to get some people in KC.MO. fired up.

Entry level boat racing info would be verry helpful, esp. the motors.

Comment

Woodman we have raced at all of the sites you have listed. I think every old racer in the area has raced Swope Park. For those of you not familiar with Swope Park there was an island that you raced around. The start was the hard part you couldn't see the clock until you rounded the bend, if the clock was running there wasn't enough time to make the circle and it was to narrow to turn around. It was a fun place to race. I think you need to make something a little better than the minimost and buy a Yamato motor so you can race it at sanction events. I didn't think someone with all Mercury motors would say that!!!!!!!
          I live in Columbia Mo. so if you need some help getting started get in touch.
          Larry Mcafee

Comment

Swope Park

Raced many times at Swope Park with the KC Speeboat Assoc. Without a doubt one of the most unusual places to race I had ever been too. One time we were there they had exotic animals on the island such as monkeys etc from the zoo. I heard that they had filled in the lagoon several years back. KC Speedboat at one time was one of the largest racing clubs in the midwest. A couple of names that come to mind that I think still live in the area are Don Dando & Mel Wilcher. Might not hurt to see if they are still around. I think Don has been on this site. Perhaps he will see these posts. I live in St Louis and if I can be helpful in anyway let me know.
            Art Kampen

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Mac View Post
              For those of you not familiar with Swope Park there was an island that you raced around. The start was the hard part you couldn't see the clock until you rounded the bend, if the clock was running there wasn't enough time to make the circle and it was to narrow to turn around.
              Larry Mcafee
              No it wasn't. Back about 1973 I turned a 12' Marchetti with a 4-carb D Konig on it around on the front straightaway on the down side of the clock, turned it around again on the other side of the clock and got a perfect start. Didn't have any good sense then and age hasn't improved my judgment. It was a fun place to race, and K.C. Speedboat was a great club.

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
                No it wasn't. Back about 1973 I turned a 12' Marchetti with a 4-carb D Konig on it around on the front straightaway on the down side of the clock, turned it around again on the other side of the clock and got a perfect start. Didn't have any good sense then and age hasn't improved my judgment. It was a fun place to race, and K.C. Speedboat was a great club.
                Tim I guess I should have said almost to narrow to turn around in. I have turned boats around in a 8ft circle before but it wasn't on purpose, lol.
                Larry Mac

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
                  With a D Konig you probably could have made it all the way around the island in time!

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Mac View Post
                    I have turned boats around in a 8ft circle before but it wasn't on purpose, lol.
                    Larry Mac

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

I remeber going to Swope Park as a kid. Only about 30 minutes from our house. My dad, Rex Hall, raced there all the time. Sure would be nice to have a race 30 minutes from home.

Comment

Be nice to have an inexpensive local racing class where guys could meet every week and race in the same city. Get their apitite wett for competition.
                        This has to be(super cheap and easy to build).

I can appreciate the high end boats , believe me they are works of art, but big bucks. I'm talking a thousnd bucks or so . and quick to build .
                        You know the old saying (keep it simple).

Comment

Woodman?

Hey dude , very few of those people are in there ther 70s and most still race .
                          Minimost/ maximost aint the way to go, better to get +40 folks int in tri-hull sit down boats.
                          RichardKCMo
                          RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Modified Minimost

This one is nearing completion.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The 30x60 steel pole bard has 300+ straw bales and have been adobied over.
                              This is my cabinet shop. Their is 4''thick 4x8 sheets of styrofoam between the trusses for celing insulation. It is heated with a double barel wood stove, and a small air cond. in the summer for cool and humidity controll.

Any you guys build you're own boats?

Comment

Working...
                              X