entry level boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• entry level boats

About 10 years ago 3 old auto techs that ether worked on or owned air cooled VW's got together and made a race car for the 4 cylinder class just brought back to a local race track. We had it painted white with stripes and the number 53. "Herbie" was the most popular car with the fans with chants of "HERBIE, HERBIE" almost drowning out the noise of the cars. We raced our air cooled bug with less then 40hp against cars with more than 80hp. The driver of the car was 62 years old. In 2 years we never won but came in third once.
    We did this for the fun of it. It took a lot of time but cast less than $1000 to put the car on the track. We would not have done this and I would have missed out if it took $6000.
    I live in Maine and if a "club foot" class of some type was in the area that I could race a B runabout with a 22ci Johnson I wold try it out. In a year or two I could invest in a Yamato or something and race the same boat in another class. Or better yet in both classes.
    My 25hp club foot Johnson with a a 9.5x12 Michigan aluminum prop does around 40mph. What does a J hydro do 45mph?
    Chris Jordan

Cost effective stock motor racing to attract new racers like most every other motorsport and boat racing country in the world has????

You'll likely get banned for mentioning such a thing...

Fralick Racing
    Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

In Ecuador not many can afford a Yamato or Merc 25SX, but the Standard "club foot" class is affordable. The best ones are running 60 mph.

http://www.vincesnautico.freeservers.com/photo.html

Comment

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8433

Comment

Originally posted by CSR4C View Post
          In Ecuador not many can afford a Yamato or Merc 25SX, but the Standard "club foot" class is affordable. The best ones are running 60 mph.

http://www.vincesnautico.freeservers.com/photo.html
          Looks like Scott Smith is famous, good pic of him in the website banner
          Mark Krzyzanowski
          32-CE

Comment

Neat web site, Ecuador I think. Two things I noticed; -they get lots of girls coming to 'cheer'. -they seem to run classes based on transom height, with these two guys racing in the 25"[65cm] class.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bh/; 10-18-2007, 03:32 PM. Reason: sp?
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F
            "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

classes at local races

Hey Chris , One problem when you run a stock type lower unit is that the prop rotation is opposite of the "race type lower units." This can make it harder to get the boats to turn left . The investment to start is not only in the motor but also in the safety gear you need. If some one was just starting they could buy a 102 yamato cheaper than a 25 Merc or OMC . The best part is with your new 102 or 302 rig you can run 4 classes at the 3 local SSOA events.. CSH.. CMH... 20 SSH ...and OSY 400.. something to think about. Shawn

Comment

Local racing

Here's some photos from a local non-APBA race. There's very few rules. The main rule is all engines must be under 10hp. Another major rule is, everybody must have fun!
                People came from out of the woodwork to participate in this local race. There was a class for hydros, a class for runabouts, and two person fishing boats.
                Some folks bought existing race boats, some built their own from boat plans, still others made their own *cough* creations. Most everyone went to all this work and expense just to participate in this once a year event.
                What's my point? This is a big time small town event. The event organizer had a magic combination to get nearly the whole town involved: Keep it simple, Keep it fun.
                From this event two very active APBA racers have emerged.
                Attached Files

Comment

Tell him to put his Shertz on!
                  DAVEY 18w

Comment

ROFL Btw did you notice the airfoil on the green bud boat ( and there is something strange about a GREEN Bud boat, arn't they supposed to be red?)

Comment

"One problem when you run a stock type lower unit is that the prop rotation is opposite of the "race type lower units." This can make it harder to get the boats to turn left"
                      Is this dangerous? If not every boat would have the same problem.

"The investment to start is not only in the motor but also in the safety gear you need."
                      God point, what is the required safety equipment and how much is it?
                      Is it readily available used?

"If some one was just starting they could buy a 102 yamato cheaper than a 25 Merc or OMC"
                      Before I was checking into racing I was looking for a OMC 25hp. I found 2 32ci locally but I was looking for the older\lighter 22ci, one for $500 and one for $300. I see them all the time for $800 or less.

"The best part is with your new 102 or 302 rig you can run 4 classes at the 3 local SSOA events.. CSH.. CMH... 20 SSH ...and OSY 400.. something to think about.

Yes this is something to think about but I don't understand. Are you saying a C stock Hydro a C mod hydro a 20 SSH and OSY 400 use the same boat and\or motor?

What got me thinking about this is other parts of the country have local classes like the mini GT, try hull and bath tub racing. From what I have read some of them have less in the boat, motor and prop then a used yamato. I have rarely seen a yamato for sale for less than $1500.

Shawn
                      I don't want this to look like I am picking on your reply. You had the most info I could ask questions about and give my opinions on.

Chris Jordan

Comment

Local vs. Nationally sanctioned racing.

Chris, If you can organize your own event, you can set whatever class rules you like. I just wanted to show you in my previous post that it CAN be done.
                        And it's possible that big time nationally sanctioned racers can grow from these type of events.
                        If you would like to race with a nationally sanctioned group, you'll need to invest in the proper racing and safety equipment. There are a lot of great folks across the country who would love to lend you a hand getting started.

More photos:
                        Here's the green Bud-boat previously discussed. I'm sure he's drinking a pepsi there!

These guys had no trouble turning with a service type gearcase.

Best of luck to you in whatever racing you choose. Most importantly, go do it safely, and have fun!
                        Attached Files

Comment

The cost of new safety gear runs about 1000.00$$ if you shop the used market you may save 1/2.. I was speeking of the cost of a newer 25 vs a 102-302. and yes- you can run the same boat / motor in 4 APBA classes, A 102-302 set up works out well .. split the cost/work with a buddy and each run 2 classes with the same set up.. and you will both race 4 times over a typical weekend!! --- The problem is that a stock lower unit will not turn left as well ( as a race unit) due to the rotation of the prop.---- Having your own event can be very costly when it comes time to pay the insurance bill.. Runing without insurance is not a good practice.( most property owners will want a certificate oif CO-coverage before leting you use their "pits".) Our Antique Club here in Maine has its own insurance for our non racing and display events. PS. we are runing in Standish on the river -Sat and Sun this weekend. River Rd off Rt 25 @ Sharon Beety' s campground.

Comment

Shawn
                            Who often does the antique club get together?
                            What is the time of the meet on Sunday? I may be able to stop by and spend more time then I did in Warren.
                            Rt 25 from Windham and take a left on the River Rd just before the Saco river? or is it the right just after the river?
                            Chris Jordan

Comment

Attention all antique and vintage collectors: All the old Austin runabouts are in Ecuador

Comment

Working...
                              X