Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up

Hi there,

I have an older hydroplane that I am in the process of restoring, I estimate that it will be about 2 years before I can legitimately start racing stock, (I will be an incoming freshman in college) but I was reading through the APBA rules, and I had a couple of questions. First off, there are divisions of classes for the stock division, which I understand runs by the type of engine. What class would be the most open-ended, as far as the hull of the hydro goes, and what class would you recomend for a novice? Also, is there any folks that may be interested in allowing me to watch and help them on their stock boat in the Chicago and/or Detroit area over the winter months?

Thanks guys
    Elek Hutchinson
    36M

Welcome aboard !

Before you spend the next couple of winters trying to restore that old hull for racing let us first find out what you have as it might not be a legal hull for any of todays classes. I would hate to see you spend all your time and money on a hull that is not a legal hull for todays classes or it might be so old and heavy you would never come close to being a front runner.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Thanks, I will take a couple pictures and get them posted the next chance I get.
      Elek Hutchinson
      36M

Comment

Actually . . .

Since hydroplane hulls have very few regulations, your hull would be *legal* in a many classes. Caveat - *legal* doesn't mean it would be competitive, and in fact it may be downright dangerous.

Please post a pic of the hull, or describe it with critiacal dimensions - width of bottom, distance from the back of the sponsons to the back of the afterplane (transom), etc etc. Several boat gurus on this site will no doubt express an opinion.

Restoration of an old hull is a work of art, but if you want to race please consider building or buying a new design hull, plans and/or kits or RTR boats available from many boat designers on this site.
        carpetbagger

Comment

plenty of help in your area

Elek,

go to www.michiganhydroplane.com and click on regional contacts to find someone in your area. Michigan is loaded with plenty of experienced racers who could help you get started. They have two big races coming up in September, 9th & 10th at Grass Lake and 16th & 17th at Big Rapids. If you want to race boats, go to at least one of these races and introduce yourself and make some new friends, this is by far the best way to get started. No need to make this a two year project. You can find a class you like at one of the races and then start shopping around for equipment. I bet you could buy a decent used boat that is competitive for less than you would spend restoring yours.

good luck,

Bill III
          Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Many members in your area

Elek,

I just sent you an email, but wanted you to know that there are plenty of racers in your area that would be willing to answer questions and help you out. Drop me a line when you get the chance as I'm only about 15-20 minutes from S. Lyon.

Mark

Comment

Pictures

I'm trying to upload the photos to the site, but I think with my stone age dial-up, things just aren't working out. We'll see if they post or not.

ANYWAYS....

The only problem with the hull, was that years back, some heavy object got dropped and fell halfway thru in the left rear corner. But it was patched up and fiberglassed over and is now solid.

It's a 9 footer, and 54 1/2'' @ widest point.
              The cockpit is 5 ft. long adn 17 1/2'' wide.
              I have the airtrap at 66 1/2'' long and 32'' wide.
              I have the sponsons at 14'' @widest point.

Do these dimensions sound right, or am I totally off?
              Elek Hutchinson
              36M

Comment

Working...
              X