Get your best start !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get your best start !

The key is to know the distance in 'feet' from the 1,000' buoy (which is never 1000') to the starting line. Use your handheld GPS and go out during testing or in a safety boat and measure it yourself. Now do some simple math: take the number of feet and divide by 60 (because that is your feet/sec at 45 mph.) This calculation tells you how many seconds you want to see on the start clock when you pass that buoy during your run to the clock. You are aiming to pass that buoy as closely to that time and at that speed as you can. One second early, slow down a little, etc. a little late, speed up. If exactly on the second stay at 45 all the way to the starting line. You'll hit the start line within 1 second almost every time. You'll get to the first turn with the 'big boys'.

If I hit the line at 45 in 750 mod I'd be dusted at the 1st turn. Good idea though to measure the distance.

Comment

Well this post was on the "rookie" page for reason. Besides, it's a starting point for beginners whose boats barely go 45 mph. Too many young drivers try the perceptual start (without consistent success) or the " follow somebody" technique assuming the other drivers have some magic formula. Also, before somebody trolls me?....I know that 45 mph is actually 66 feet/second. I just wanted to make the math easier for guys like me that calculate in our head instead of our phone

Comment

• Fast Freddie
        Fast Freddie commented
        Editing a comment
        We 500 and 750 guys can just adjust the numbers - no problem.

Thank you for this idea! I've been having trouble this past (rookie) season on my starts. I'll add this to my test sessions during my upcoming year.

Comment

To my way of thinking, distance doesn't matter, elapsed time does. Use a timer or a stopwatch or the old fashioned way: one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi. But after awhile, you just know.

Comment

The distance between the 1000 foot bout and the start line does not matter. On any given day your rig have a maximum speed which can vary from day to day. So what you need to know is what time it takes to get from the 1000 ft bouy to the start line. It does not matter what speed you are going just that it takes so many seconds to get to the start line. There fore you really have pick a point before the 1000 ft bouy so you can adjust your speed so that you are at full speed at the 1000 ft bouy with your measured time for that day on the clock.

Comment

But after awhile- you just know.
            Tchance- no truer words have ever been spoken.
            522-P

Comment

All of you experienced racers have a technique that you have practiced dozens (or maybe 100's) of times. I would tell you that in my observation you have had mixed success in getting to the start line within 1 second, consistently. The reasons are many, and that's why it is "racing". Somebody blocks you by crossing your bow while milling, rough water prevents you from reaching full speed by the 'nominal' 1000' buoy, you miss the white flag while your back is turned to the clock, you are in the first heat at Lock Haven and you can't even see the clock because the sun is in your face, etc, etc. My reason for the post is to give inexperienced racers (J, Ax,A, or 300SSH) an opportunity to have a number to shoot for at the 1000' buoy which might be 726' feet from the clock that day. Hmmm: quick math tells me 11-12 seconds might get him there about right. When he passes that buoy he notes the clock, he has enough speed-up or slow-down to adjust to get him there within a second, I think? The point is he's actually doing 2 'starts' and the clock check at the 1000' buoy tells him if he's in the ballpark. Again, you experienced guys have your technique.......new guys don't. I'll bet next season there will be more boats challenging you in the first turn!

Comment

At 60 miles per hour you travel 88 feet per second... 45 miles per hour is 66 feet per second... 30 mph is 44 fps.

Every 10 miles per hour you travel 14.66 feet per second. This always helped me ‘visualize’ the starts.
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

After you get enough boat time "you just know" how much ground you are going to cover when you nail the throttle. Putting it all in mathematical terms goes out the window when you realize how many variables there are with the courses we run. You also will have to deal with other boats that run around fairly randomly while milling and wind up in the lane you wanted. Nailing a start can take several years to master, if it was easy everyone would be doing it most every time.

Comment

Very good,replies from veteran drivers. I will add what an old racer thought me. Years ago I raced FER now 850 I believe. He told me pick the 20SSH class. When they start take the lead boat and also pick a land mark on the beach. Let one lap pass and when they pass that mark you choose start a stop watch and time it to the start finish line.Ypu do want your mark to be between the clock and exit buoy to the start. It helped and then like others,say you just kinda know.

Comment

I also used a digital stop watch with large 3/4” or 1” numbers with a button switch on the throttle so I could activate it with my finger and not have to take my hands from the steering wheel or throttle. Then start timing yourself from the entrance bouy to the starting line at various speeds.... half throttle and full throttle... etc. This really helped me. Find an electrical guy who can set up the remote switch with wires to the stop watch mounted on the dashboard.
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                      X