Trailer: Enclosed vs. Open experience and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer: Enclosed vs. Open experience and advice

Looking into trailers. Drive a V6 Honda Odyssey. Want to purchase a trailer to hold 2 boats, 1 CSH/300SSH and 1 CSR Marathon (12'6" to 13'). A few questions:
    1. Would you put a new boat on an open trailer? Do you get lots of road rash (stones etc.) that damage boats on an open trailer?
    2. If you were to get an enclosed cargo trailer...
      1. What is the minimum size 6x14? 7x14?
      2. Would you get a vnose or square?
      3. Would you get a single or dual axle? Remember, being pulled by minivan?
    3. What other questions should I be asking that I'm not asking?

Thanks!

I have pulled CSH's on an open trailer for several years with no road debris damage so for me that would not be a deciding factor.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

I’ve had an open trailer forever. Never had any issues with road rash. Bottom boat had one race on it in this pic. The biggest issue is storage. If you can store trailer outside, then enclosed is the answer. If you have to store inside, then the open is the answer.
      There are pros and cons to esch. Ends up what is your preference and what can your wallet handle.
      Brian 10s

Comment

If you go with the narrower trailer you will wish very shortly that you had the extra room. With the smaller vehicle you have, the V-nose should pull easier due to less wind resistance. Our boats are lasting much longer because they are stored dry and out of the sun about 98% of the time.

Comment

With open trailers what problems have any had with overnight stays at motels with vandals, theft, etc?
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I have a open Trailer I use for hauling a New Fabbro CSR and a CSH. In 2 years of racing my boats have suffered no Damage. I like a open Trailer because it makes for good conversation with non boat racing people and it's real easy for putting little kids in the Top Boat for photo shoots. Mine is for sale because I like staying at the Race site that's the only reason. The V nose means nothing for Aero dynamics. If it did every semi going down the road would have a V nose Trailer. I have a friend that owns a Trucking company and I have asked the same Question. As far as size with your boats don't go any smaller than 7×14

Comment

Also with your tow vehicle you will definitely know you have a Enclosed trailer behind you

Comment

Seeing that you are pulling this with a mini van, I would think you need to hear from someone who also pulls with a mini van. Enclosed trailers pull much harder due to frontal area and weight. I pulled my 20'x8' aluminum enclosed trailer with a Suburban, Expedition and now F150 and it requires a lot of gas pedal.

Comment

I don't think it's correct to discount the aero advantage of the V-nose trailer. Semi trailers are flat in front because it means they can pack it completely to the front with boxes. It is a financial boost to haul full trailers.

Comment

I agree. I wouldn’t buy an enclosed without the V. More inside storage and easier to pull than a flat front.

If your towing with a minivan you’ll need a lightweight open trailer, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with that, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
                    Joe Silvestri
                    CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                    JH/JR

Comment

I've got a 6' x 12' (14' to the V) enclosed trailer. I bought it from a guy that used it to pull his Harley around. It is about 7' tall, so it fits in my garage. I like that I can keep everything I need in one place, throw a lock on it and I don't have to worry about anything being taken. I pull it with an Explorer that has a V6 and it pulls fine (MPG drops to about 12). My 13' marathon boat JUST fits in there, but it works for the 5-6 races I hit each year. I have shoe horned a second boat in there, but I had to remove the windshield. Having said that, there is nothing cooler than seeing the boats on an open trailer.

Comment

A lot of very accurate comments from everyone. We currently have a 6 x 12 v-nose and a 6 x 14 straight nose trailer and had an open trailer at one time. The open trailer towed by far the easiest and best but with 4 racers working out of a single car garage, enclosed is the only way to go for us. Aero dynamically I don't notice a difference pulling either enclosed trailer with my Tacoma and actually prefer to pull the 7 x 14, both make the Tacoma work pretty hard. The enclosed trailers do pull much harder and also have more tongue weight which might be an issue with a mini van.

Comment

Another thing to consider, if you do go with a 6' wide enclosed trailer, most hydro's will not lay flat on a bunk. The door and the inside walls are just a little bit too narrow. We built bunks on the side wall and hang the boats on there side. Actually works very well and leaves the floor space open for loading carts and everything else.

Comment

Been pulling mine on an open trailer for the last 3 years. No issues with road rash or damage to boat at all. Then again, my boat is so ugly a little road rash would probably improve it a little.

As Mike says above, they're great conversation starters at the gas station or anywhere you stop. Good opportunity to drum up some interest.

If you go open, make sure your box is big enough to carry everything you need in the pits. Sure, you have room in the van, but it's a pain to have to unload and carry stuff to the pits once you're parked.

I'd also consider how many boats you're going to haul as well. I've seen 5 boats on an open, but it's major work to load and unload from what I saw.

And also as mentioned, storage. If you have a garage or barn you can put the trailer in, then open is no issue, but if they have to stay outside, enclosed.

So far, the only downside I've found with my open is rain. If you hit a major downpour on the way to or from the race, boat can fill up pretty good and you'll have to stop to drain it. You can get custom made covers for your boats, but those aren't cheap and one more fiddly thing to mess with.

Overall, I have no problem with my open. It pulls super easy (I get around 20 MPG on the highway pulling it with a pickup) and is light enough to hand maneuver around if need be. Also easier to fit into spaces in the pits, etc.
                            Dane Lance
                            700-P
                            CSH/500Mod

Comment

WHOA HORSEY
                              Do not forget about getting this rig STOPPED
                              Keep an eye on the brake pads & tranny cooler
                              Billy Allen has a Honda pickup (Ridgeline?) & he hauls a trailer with it

I have a 6X12 V nose single axle but shoulda got a 14'...
                              I can squeeze two hydro's (B&C) in & up to four motors but it's tight as you would imagin
                              Ronrox is right too- check the width of your boat. The narrowest part is the rear door which on mine is about 4in from the sidewall. My Runnecraft clears with <half in either side but it fits in flat

I do not have indoor storage for the boats so the enclosed trailer was a must have Godsend
                              It was six months old w/ a spare tire $2000 Superduper great deal
                              522-P
                              Last edited by squirrelboydeluxe; 10-22-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X