Over weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over weight

At the present time, my boat as race ready is 30 lb over the min weight for the 500 Mod class . Can anyone tell me how much speed I am loosing. Thanks

You are not loosing much speed, It is punch out of the turns you are loosing!

Comment

• fbref5269
      fbref5269 commented
      Editing a comment
      i know the feeling

You are likely not losing top speed, but losing acceleration... I was 85# over minimum in DSH and in the old DMH and EMH classes, yet I could compensate some and I ran well. I say this is mainly an acceleration issue because in testing my wife's CMH, I could match her top speed, but I was off on acceleration, compared to her. I was over 100# heavier than she was, and testing her boat, with her set up.

That acceleration loss is everywhere, out of the turn, and in the starting chute, too.

In DSH, it being a stock class, it was much harder to make up the weight disadvantage, because all the best D motors had similar power. But in Mod, you can find more power. And a power advantage is hard to beat.

I also worked very hard on props and boat setup, as you can gain back some performance loss there. For example, if you can dial in your rig to carry more speed into the turn, and maintain it through the turn, you have higher exit speed when you get to the straight, and the other guy has to accelerate up to the speed you are already going. You're gone.

And, on that day the water conditions are really bad, with a good setup I could use my weight to help maintain control. Rough conditions can be a great equalizer, if your setup is right.

Top speed does not win races, low lap time wins races.

Suggest you work, work, work on motor and setup, to improve lap time (and lay off the Pizza).

Comment

And you know, nailing the starts won't hurt either!

Comment

Thanks for the tips . Boat racing people are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by M Miner View Post
          At the present time, my boat as race ready is 30 lb over the min weight for the 500 Mod class . Can anyone tell me how much speed I am loosing. Thanks
          When I was testing a lot, back in the day, I found out that 20 lbs. was 1 mph... That is what my notes say.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Dean is right. While it is hard to measure, weight will slow you down. The boat is on a plane held up by the water and air it is pushing out of its path. Most of the weight is held up by the water being pushed out of the way near the transom. The more weight, the more water has to be pushed aside. That takes energy from the motor and it will slow you down. This is why 20ss and CSH go almost the same speed. It is time to slow 20ss especially since the 302s can run at 1/2 inch now.
            Last edited by GrandpaRacer; 09-08-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• flatsmoke
              flatsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              How about lowering to 102/302321 series engines in 20ssh from 1/2" to 3/4" and run the same restrictor as the 25ssr - 9/16", instead of 7/16".

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post

When I was testing a lot, back in the day, I found out that 20 lbs. was 1 mph... That is what my notes say.

Guessing this is in smaller class boats?

I'd tend to agree, but in the faster classes, I could match what a lighter driver ran in the same rig. But it killed my acceleration... then if I propped down for more punch, the top end was down. I could win more races on punch than on top speed, though.

And, at 85# over, I was not 4 or 5 mph off the pace, even in the stock classes.

it still comes down to fastest lap time wins. Optimize what you have for lap time!

Comment

Originally posted by trident View Post

Guessing this is in smaller class boats?

I'd tend to agree, but in the faster classes, I could match what a lighter driver ran in the same rig. But it killed my acceleration... then if I propped down for more punch, the top end was down. I could win more races on punch than on top speed, though.

And, at 85# over, I was not 4 or 5 mph off the pace, even in the stock classes.

it still comes down to fastest lap time wins. Optimize what you have for lap time!
              You are correct.... that was in classes that were between about 350 to 400 lbs. So the percentage of over weight would be less for the lighter classes.

So the original post was for C- Mod Hydro which is 440 lbs. so for heavier classes the differential percentage would be not as great. But at 30 lbs. over weight I think it would still make a difference. I like to be about 5 - 10 lbs. over just to be safe.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Minor, certainly you'd prefer to be on-weight or close, but FWIW a lot of top racers have been well over the weight limit and did well anyway, even some of them having raced in the smaller and extremely competitive Stock classes where you wanted to have everything going for you. In my day, Jeff Lowe in BSH and Dave Swanson in AU, both of them record-holders, were always well over the minimum weight.

Comment

dingdingding WE HAVE A WINNER

Trident nailed it- "Lower lap times win races" To me, this means "learn how to get the boat through the turn"
                  I am about spot on in weight for 20ssh but get smoked every weekend because I SUCK AT TURNING
                  I almost rolled the boat this past weekend in turn two at Lock Haven & scared the crap out of myself
                  Sees Racing 22-P donated & installed a proper kneeling pad in the boat which was a huge help but entering a turn that has been "stirred up a little" by the previous 11 boats is- shall we say- "HARD ON THE NERVES"

When I stand on the beach & watch the top CSH drivers go through a turn, it's like watching ballet dancers- so graceful & looks so easy
                  Then I go out & try it & it's like going three rounds with George Foreman

Anyway, Thank you Mr Wienandt for the great response
                  522-P

Comment

• Harold8
                    Harold8 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are exactly right! Going through the turns at the back of the pack is totally different than being in front! Which gets back to getting a good start and getting through that first turn in a better overall position!

50lbs over in a DSH is about a 2mph loss......have notes to show it...
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your help. I will work on my cornering . And cut down on the pizza but the beer after A race stays.

Comment

I started a new program for a healthier life style, side affect of the program is weight loss. Since Grass Lake Nationals I have lost 30 pounds, feel great, and when I raced this past weekend the boat handled a lot different. I weighed in dry with no fuel and was only 16 over.

Find my wife on Facebook and she can explain it much better than I.

Kristen Whitmeyer Nichols.

It is worth a look!
                      444-B now 4-F
                      Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
                        Matt Dagostino commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great!! Before you know it you will be back in a CSH!!!

• RFR_Aero
                        RFR_Aero commented
                        Editing a comment
                        CSH....how about ASR (remember Wilson)
                    Working...
                    X