Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield

I'm headed to Tap Plastics to buy some clear material to replace my JSH windshield, do I just ask for Acrylic, Plexiglass, ABS, or Lexan.. Not sure. I think its a Polycarbonate.
    Last edited by gsb-503; 04-04-2017, 07:41 AM.
    From "Greg S. Brown" aka GSB-503

Uvex, polycarb(Lexan) Do not use Acrylic

Comment

• gsb-503
      gsb-503 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, that sounds right. ThX

Tap Plastics has 1/16" thick clear polycarbonate. That's where I have bought it before. And they will have the trim for the edges.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Concur with polycarbonate - be sure to make a template first with poster board prior to cutting... can easily modify poster board to get right shape/ensure fitting rather than winging it with the polycarbonate. If you want to put a sharp bend in the materiel (e.g., knife type leading edge). cut the piece to dimension, lay materiel on table/flat are with desired site of bend on edge of table/flat area, and then CAREFULLY apply heat from a heat gun along desired bend area (move heat gun up and down bend area). As the polycarbonate softens, gravity take over and create a bend in the materiel. A word of caution: if you apply too much heat too quickly (heat gun on too high a setting or too close to the materiel), you will get bubbles in the polycarbonate - practice on a scrap piece of polycarbonate first!
      Last edited by Shane_B; 04-04-2017, 09:12 AM. Reason: Practice heat forming with scrap first

Comment

• gsb-503
        gsb-503 commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have the old windshield, with crack, as a template. And a dremel cutting disc. Wish me luck.

• KURPS
        KURPS commented
        Editing a comment
        1/16 inch thick polycarbonate can be cut with a hand shear, and the edge can be sanded smooth.

• Shane_B
        Shane_B commented
        Editing a comment
        Hand shears (as Kurps recommends), or a jig saw with fine teeth at low speed, might be better than a dremel cutting disc... the cutting disc may generate too much heat if run at hight RPMs and cause melted poycarbonate globs to build up along edge and make cutting difficult... Try the cutting disc at low RPMs. (I used 3/32 polycarbonate for added strength - doesn't add too much more weight - but if you are using for J boat, 1/16 definitely good enough)

anyone know what company may sell it in Red or Blue transparent in 1/16" ?
      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

• Shane_B
        Shane_B commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking at the TAP website, their polycarbonate comes only in clear, smoke (grey), or white. They do carry transparent acrylic in those colors but looks like thinnest is 0.125 inches...

LEXAN is the marketing name for polycarbonate. It is very heat resistant and extremely difficult (if not impossible) to break. Also, they make a jig saw blade labeled: "laminate" that I use all the time in my job, it cuts polycarbonate easily and smoothly. Acrylic is VERY susceptible to breaking, I would not recommend using it.

Comment

• KURPS
        KURPS commented
        Editing a comment
        I can attest that 1/16 inch thick polycarbonate will also break, if you body is launched thru the windshield at high speed. Polycarbonate is much stronger than acrylic.

Originally posted by DiGia54D View Post
      anyone know what company may sell it in Red or Blue transparent in 1/16" ?
      Just do a google search for 1/16" red or blue polycarbonate sheet.... that should do it.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Tried that...all pop up Acrylic... thats why i am asking if anyone knows a company name
        sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Wayne,found out its not out there. in 1/16" (.060).. Found 1/16" Solar Grey on Ebay though. Only its 48" x96" @ $175 usd..Also found some other supplier on Ebay but its only 24"x24".Still trying to find 4'x8' sheets up here in Ontario

Comment

• DiGia54D
            DiGia54D commented
            Editing a comment
            Found something on Eplastics.com going to test a piece. The place i got it from years ago is long gone.. Thanks though

I was looking at Eplastics.com also and it looks like they have a few colors in 1/16 Lexan.

Comment

1/16" clear polycarbonate 48" x 96" sheets available from McMaster-Carr. Part no: 8574K71 - $82.96/sheet. I just looked it up.

Comment

Grainger... Item# 1ETR7... .060" thick... 48"x48"... $55.95
              Last edited by DeanFHobart; 04-05-2017, 03:26 PM.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

If you insist on color, UVEX is often available in a multitude of different hues but is an ABS plastic and not as durable as polycarbonate but certainly OK for smaller windshields but not so much for a full plastic cowling. I cut polycarbonate with the same 20 tooth jig saw I use for plywood work. The ones I use are available with either up-cut or down-cut teeth and I find no real difference. Both polycarbonate or ABS can be heat formed with patience and care but creases can be made in polycarbonate with a brake if that is your preference. Most larger cities will have a plastic supply place or two as shipping single 4 x 8 or so sheets can be prohibitive. My local place has some colored polycarbonate but only in 0.125 or thicker. Colors are available in thinner gauges but minimum quantities in the thousands of pounds was required.

Comment

• DiGia54D
                  DiGia54D commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sam I insist on a color...hahahaha Thanks I will check out UVEX also.. See you out in PP!

McMaster/Carr carries the Bayer, that is right like the aspirin, Makrolon extruded polycarbonate, excellent windshield material.

Comment

I found that Home Depot will order in for you clear,1/8in.x48in.x96in. polycarbonate,pick up at the store,$175.00 a sheet.I tried to get light smoke color, not available from HD,they can only get clear.

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                    GrandpaRacer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    1/8 may be difficult to bend. I tried both at a plastic shop and went with 1/16 for that reason.
                Working...
                X