Thoughts & observations from a new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George
    ​Glad your happy with the testing in Georgia, If I can help you any more give me a call.
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by squirrelboydeluxe View Post
      It is no wonder boat racing is dying.
      I have wanted to race a boat for 40yrs and am all geared up for 2017.
      I ordered a new 20ssH boat that I am supposed to get next week.
      I also was fortunate to secure a second boat to practice in.
      I rounded up two yamato 80 motors that are ready to go; one is a proven winner.
      I bought a Yam 102 that was very successful in the hands of it's previous driver
      I have Kevlars and a new lifeline lifejacket. I'm still helmet shopping but I have one that will do for now.
      I am just south of $10K and do not have what I consider a competitive prop yet.

Lord have mercy.
      I have been reading with amazement over on the General forum that there is a serious effort to get rid of the Yamato80 and the 20ssh class altogether.
      This is my typical luck- I arrive just as the party is ending.

Because this has been a dream for so long, I suppose I will pony up the $$$ for a sealed 321 instead and pray it does not explode because it will not cool.
      If by God's grace the motor stays running long enough to reach the finish line, I will tip my hat to the veterans/experts that are running in what is supposed to be an entry level class (300ssH)- and secretly wonder if they invited fourth graders to their college debate competitions.

Sorry for the negativity. I'm just shaking my head and wondering how I am going to enjoy this with so many torpedos heading straight for my boat.

522-P
      Don't worry the stock commission has and will never eliminate a class, this has been proven over many years of suggested class reduction efforts but you can be convinced they will continue to invent new classes for all old motors to run in.

Comment

George: Just curious....did you jump into this sport with out any help and advice? Here in region 10 we try and mentor new racers to make wise decisions regarding purchasing equipment. Not saying you did not make a good choice equipment wise....

Comment

I have been interested in vintage Mercury outboards for many years; the 4cyls in particular. That evolved into a fascination with the mercury 30H/55H. I still have a mess of them.
          About five years ago, I bought an old shovel nose hydro with a 55H on it and took it to Tomahawk this past summer. That is where the racing bug bit BIG TIME- I had a ball in the old hydro. The old man raced when I was a kid & it has always been in the back of my mind.
          About two years ago, I bought a 1950 Feathercraft Firefly (factory raceboat/B utility) and Located a KG7Q for it. I could not get it to run on both cyls at once so I bought a Yamato 80 for it instead. I never did try the Yam80 on the Firefly.
          I ended up selling the 55H/shovel hydro at Tomahawk. I had been spectating various races near me (Millville, Lock Haven, Crystal lake NY, Berwick) and decided to use the proceeds from the old hydro sale to finance a new Runnecraft 20ssH which I already had a motor for (the Y80 that I never ran on the firefly). I bought this particular 80 from "fishinworm" here on the HR forum- his son won a heat with it at Lock Haven in 2014.
          At Lock Haven this past September, I got to talking with another spectator who mentioned that he had a Yam80 for sale that he got from his mailman (!) He had it with him so I bought that one too at a bargain basement price. Tom Cronk has just recently worked his magic on the foot; and it was returned to service while I was in Georgia.
          Sees racing team (22-P) was switching classes and was no longer in need of their trusty 102; they were running it in 20ssH (restricted) so I bought that too. I used the good old American wisdom which clearly states:

"If a little bit is good- more is better, and TOO MUCH IS PERFECT".

I actually do have several people in my corner that are very well versed in the sport of stock outboard; The aforementioned Georgia rebel is who advised me to run the 80 for awhile to get some seat time. It made perfect sense to me. Which brings to mind another time tested idiom I subscribe to:

"If you don't have what you need- use what you got"

Thank you for the interest daveracerdsh- you guys are so awesome...522-P

Comment

Glad to help....APBA has a lot of warts, but all in all we are a pretty good group of people.

Comment

Thank you Grandpa racer
              You are to a new racer what water is to a duck
              I have only read this document about twenty times- it is priceless
              Many many thanks from all us squids

I picked up my new Runne last night
              And got to tour the Sidewinder factory
              On one of the workbenches I saw a yellow leagal pad with diagrams of boat positions going into the first turn
              The Runne bunch are preparing their own instruction manual
              With guys like you, John & Ed, the future of SO is assured
              Thanks again
              522-P

Comment

!00% agreement with squirrelboydeluxe on the Runne's involvement in SO racing.We just picked up our new Sidewinder 15S motor,was a bit of a wait, but totatly worth it.The workmanship,fit and finish is first rate.This motor was engineered by Ed Runne,each motor is assembled by hand,each motor is the same as the one assembled before it.Chloe,our driver,can't wait to drive our new runabout in ASR powered by our new Sidewinder.

Comment

Working...
                X